Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Well #14 - Welcome to WahWah World!

Originally posted by wahwah View Post
    If you're interested Tor, you might like to have a listen to the Free album "Fire and Water." Some truly beautiful guitar playing from an 18 year old Kossoff.

Cheers................................wahwah
    Thanks a lot! Duly noted.
    My Soundclick

Comment

Originally posted by sosomething View Post
      And has, to the tune of a merry jig spontaneously written on the spot for just that occasion.
      "Chimchimminy, Chimchimminy, Chimchim, Cheree,

There's nothing as lovely as Mary on her knees..."

Oh, it just makes me want to get me broom out and start poking around in a dark hole. Those were the days...

Highway Star
      Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
      Mistreated
      Cause We Ended As Lovers
      Go ahead...check out my solo album @ http://geoffwells.bandcamp.com/

Originally posted by JOLLY
      Strats are better than Les Pauls.

Comment

Funny that you say like that ,since i think Les Paul's needs more wrestling than a strat!!At least for my hands...I tac a strat any day of the week over a Paul...

I asked about the EXR's since you have a deep feeling on your tunes ,so an 8 string with 6 octaves and a lovely clean tone could be heavenly!
        I can imagine how much "depth" you can get out of 6 octaves!
        www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque

Comment

Originally posted by daemon barbeque View Post
          Funny that you say like that ,since i think Les Paul's needs more wrestling than a strat!!At least for my hands...I tac a strat any day of the week over a Paul...

I asked about the EXR's since you have a deep feeling on your tunes ,so an 8 string with 6 octaves and a lovely clean tone could be heavenly!
          I can imagine how much "depth" you can get out of 6 octaves!
          You could very well be onto something there db, it might be time for me to broaden my horizons.

It's great how the perception of guitars is such an individual matter. It makes sense since they are here to help us find our "voice."

Cheers..................................wahwah
          Highway Star
          Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
          Mistreated
          Cause We Ended As Lovers

Comment

And a serious question:

Why?

And, if so, for breakfast?
            -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

Nice to see some stuff about the rockbender.

As a superchamp user, monitor mix and quality must be paramount to you. I always find that a monitor 'enhanced' onstage sound is always inferior to hearing a similar volume straight from the amp. Do you have any tips for making monitor mixes sound more natural?

Ever tried hauling your own monitor? -I've thought about doing the Iommi/Beck trick of loading one with guitar speakers...

During the Farnham gig, did you have to play any Brett Garsed stuff note for note? -that would be challenging in spots...

Name a few of your favorite dishes. Feel free to go into recipe details if necessary.

Name your all-star, dream band (players alive or dead may be included).

What non-guitar playing musicians do you dig?
              Originally posted by Jolly
              ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

Yo Mr. WW, great reading through this well... I'm sure you'd have loads more stories to tell! Anyway, of all the people you've worked with... and/ or supported, who has impressed you the most? I don't just mean their playing... I mean everything, the whole package... I guess the playing, the overall performance, attitude... everything! Similarly, who's been the biggest disappointment? Just thinking about the circles you move in, I just wonder how many great players are fairly normal regular people and how many are so far up their own backsides? I was going to ask about the lump of wood and how long it's been with you, but it's a long time so I won't offer you any kind of part ex to help YOU out! Lol... now this IS a serious question, what do you think you'll look for guitar wise when that dreadful day comes when you have to retire the Strat? All the best.

Comment

Which is your favorite Stooge? Moe, Larry, Curly, Curly Joe, Shemp?
                  Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                  https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
                  Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

For sure. Well, I go back as far as when he was Geoff Wheadon's protege. We're showing our ages now Digger!
                    Mmm! And i,ve got ten years on you.I used to frequent "the Mathew"[or more recently Zagames]in the late 60,s with "walshy" and Dave briggs[LRB fame] and a group of other people.I was around when Tosh started out as a roadie,with a black Transit van; back in 73.He,s come a long way!

sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
                    - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

great Well, Geoff!

if it hasn't been asked ... a rather obvious question:

where did the nickname come from?

and while we're on the question, how did you develop your excellent wah technique?

I could use a few pointers, 'cause I'm a bit "wah challenged"

cheers!
                      "music heals"
                      facebook

Comment

Originally posted by sosomething View Post
                        And a serious question:

Why?

And, if so, for breakfast?
                        Hey, if you have to ask, that would suggest that you......don't.....know.....why.

Look, she was only 20 at the time, but she had already developed a substantial set of skills.

And yes for breakfast, why not for breakfast? That would be my question to you.

Cheers..................................wahwah
                        Highway Star
                        Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
                        Mistreated
                        Cause We Ended As Lovers

Comment

Originally posted by Hot _Grits View Post
                          Nice to see some stuff about the rockbender.

As a superchamp user, monitor mix and quality must be paramount to you. I always find that a monitor 'enhanced' onstage sound is always inferior to hearing a similar volume straight from the amp. Do you have any tips for making monitor mixes sound more natural?

Ever tried hauling your own monitor? -I've thought about doing the Iommi/Beck trick of loading one with guitar speakers...

During the Farnham gig, did you have to play any Brett Garsed stuff note for note? -that would be challenging in spots...

Name a few of your favorite dishes. Feel free to go into recipe details if necessary.

Name your all-star, dream band (players alive or dead may be included).

What non-guitar playing musicians do you dig?
                          I can't stand the sound of the mic'd amp through monitors either, unless the foldback guy is Mr Wizard. For that reason I prefer to keep the amp real close, as in this pic from the Bryan Ferry tour.

With the amp at that distance as a constant, I get all the volume I need. Fortunately it's not a loud band onstage. On top of that, a few of the other guys get the guitar put up through their sends, so it gets spread across the stage, but just not in my face. I also like to hear the guitar up through FOH, not to cue off, but for that extra bit of 'vibe.' But if I were to have it sent through sidefill or a monitor send, I would get them to roll off everything above 4k @ 12dB per octave, and set a high pass filter @ 80Hz, especially if I'm relying on that send for my vocals as well. But generally, I will try to avoid it. If I'm playing with a much louder band, I'll just use a bigger amp.

As a result, I've never hauled my own monitor, but I like Beck's idea of having guitar speakers in a monitor. It would also be cool to have a good tube mic pre after the amp mic before it gets sent to power. That might help in getting a monitor mix that isn't raspy or cold.

Fortunately with the Farnham tour I did, we had Jack Jones (aka Irwin Thomas) there to cover Brett's gig. I was basically there to do Stuart Fraser's gig, because he was off doing a Noiseworks reuinion tour. But Farnham's repertoire is really very simple, they're just straight forward songs. The pressure comes from the fact that they ask for no less than 100%, so there's no room for error. They set a very high standard, and it was a great discipline to meet it. Brett Garsed is a freakishly good guitar player, and I wouldn't have a hope of covering any of his fancy stuff. But Jack Jones tore it up, and Stuart and I have swapped gigs on many occasions, so I was confident of covering his guitar parts.

Favourite dishes include Thai curries, a lot of Vietnamese dishes, peasant style pastas, many of the Indian curries, and a well grilled rib eye, medium rare. I also love fish, Sea Perch for grilling, and one of my favourite Vietnamese dishes, Rockling fillets with ginger and garlic. Lightly steamed or stir fried vegetables, lots of steamed rice.

My all star dream band would have Paul Rodgers on vocals, Bonzo on the drums, Tal Wilkenfeld on bass (why not have a bass player with a cute rack? Especially if she can play like she does!) and Tony Hymas on keys.

Bonzo is probably my favourite non-guitar playing musician. But I also dig Andy Fraser, Jan Hammer, John Paul Jones, Andy Newmark, Tony Hymas, Stevie Wonder, Double Trouble, Me'shell Ndegeocello, Simon Kirke, Ian Paice, Jon Lord, Steve Winwood, Colin Moulding, Bernard Purdie, Jim Keltner, Pete Thomas and Bruce Thomas from the Attractions, and many, many more!
                          Highway Star
                          Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
                          Mistreated
                          Cause We Ended As Lovers

Comment

Originally posted by d1dsj View Post
                            Yo Mr. WW, great reading through this well... I'm sure you'd have loads more stories to tell! Anyway, of all the people you've worked with... and/ or supported, who has impressed you the most? I don't just mean their playing... I mean everything, the whole package... I guess the playing, the overall performance, attitude... everything! Similarly, who's been the biggest disappointment? Just thinking about the circles you move in, I just wonder how many great players are fairly normal regular people and how many are so far up their own backsides? I was going to ask about the lump of wood and how long it's been with you, but it's a long time so I won't offer you any kind of part ex to help YOU out! Lol... now this IS a serious question, what do you think you'll look for guitar wise when that dreadful day comes when you have to retire the Strat? All the best.
                            The first guy that comes to mind who impressed me by being down to earth is Bryan Adams. He was just a complete gentleman, stopping us in the hallways and asking if we were being looked after ok, and offering advice. I'm not a big fan, but his show was impressive too. I was also very impressed by Andrew Roachford, he was brilliant. I actually got a chance to work with him on a live TV spot here http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...ideoID=2361029 Just a great all round musician and a nice guy. I was also blown away by Joe Cocker, such an amazing presence, even in his advanced years.

I've found that as a general rule, the guys who have had a lot of success are quite often the friendliest and most at ease. Those who have had a taste of success but not enough to satisfy their egos, tend to be a real pain in the butt. There are exceptions in both cases, but that is the general rule. It certainly seems to be the case that the guys who have been on the rollercoaster, and have watched their careers go through the highs and lows, but are still doing it and loving it, tend to be grateful for their position.

I don't know what I'll do if the old Strat becomes unplayable. If I had to replace it, I would be looking for something of a similar vintage. I recently found a 1978 Ibanez Silver Series "lawsuit" strat, and I've had some work done to it. It's come up well, but it still can't replace the Old Dear. Let's not talk about that anymore...

Cheers.................................wahwah
                            Highway Star
                            Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
                            Mistreated
                            Cause We Ended As Lovers

Comment

Originally posted by LesStrat View Post
                              Which is your favorite Stooge? Moe, Larry, Curly, Curly Joe, Shemp?
                              I prefer the hairless Stooges in general.

Highway Star
                              Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
                              Mistreated
                              Cause We Ended As Lovers

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenVulture View Post
                                Mmm! And i,ve got ten years on you.I used to frequent "the Mathew"[or more recently Zagames]in the late 60,s with "walshy" and Dave briggs[LRB fame] and a group of other people.I was around when Tosh started out as a roadie,with a black Transit van; back in 73.He,s come a long way!

Yeah, I was in Brisbane until '83, so I missed a lot of that. I still get to work with Tosh occasionally when we do doubles with James Reyne, he often does FOH for him.

Cheers...............................wahwah
                                Highway Star
                                Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
                                Mistreated
                                Cause We Ended As Lovers

Comment

Working...
                                X