This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WELLXV: Cat's foot, Iron Claw...Mincer's well is open for all

Wahx2 has asked if I would participate, and after I actually figured out what he was talkng about, I agreed. While I have a busy week, I should be able to get to this a few times a day. If you don't yet know anything about me, the website below is a good start. Bring it on, baby.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Re: WELLXV: Cat's foot, Iron Claw...Mincer's well is open for all

Here's the obvious one:

-You're pretty much the forum guy for not wanting to sound like classic rock/blues/metal. How weird do you find it being on a forum where 'classic' is the norm and there isn't much focus on innovation? is being the odd guy out with a different viewpoint part of the attraction? -Similar, perhaps, to David Torn's presence on The Gear Page?

-What's the weirdest noise you've made with a guitar?

-You're a music shop guy, right? -tell us some stories about customer lameness...and greatness.

-Where does the name Mincer come from? -do you realise what it means in England?

-Are there any particular approaches or ways of thinking about the instrument that have helped you keep away from the 'classic blues/rock/metal' rut?

-dig Reeves Gabrels?
    Originally posted by Jolly
    ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

Who are your main influences as far as guitar players go?

PS. Tenets scares the **** out of me.
      "So you'll never have to listen to surf music again." -Hendrix

Comment

+1 to YJM. I can't even play ping-pong.

Are you inspired by people like Ralph Branca, Adrian Belew or the (un-)like?

How did you get started? At what age?
        sigpic
        "Add about a half-a-teacup o' bass...."
        --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook
        Originally posted by Lewguitar
        In our heart of hearts we're love. That's who we really are.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot _Grits View Post
          Here's the obvious one:

-You're pretty much the forum guy for not wanting to sound like classic rock/blues/metal. How weird do you find it being on a forum where 'classic' is the norm and there isn't much focus on innovation? is being the odd guy out with a different viewpoint part of the attraction? -Similar, perhaps, to David Torn's presence on The Gear Page?

-You're a music shop guy, right? -tell us some stories about customer lameness...and greatness.

-Where does the name Mincer come from? -do you realise what it means in England?

-Are there any particular approaches or ways of thinking about the instrument that have helped you keep away from the 'classic blues/rock/metal' rut?

-dig Reeves Gabrels?
          Wow, a lot on the first one...

OK, lets see...the fact that something is classic never bothered me, however, when that is taken as 'the only possible way', be it from guitarists, magazines or manufacturers, then I put my tin foil hat on and ranting about it. Lots of people play guitar to replicate what came before. That is cool, and they probably do it a lot better than I can. Why do people start playing at the 5th fret when they hear a blues in A? Because it sounds good- I don't think the intention there is create 'art' in a sense. It is to re-create a feeling, a memory, a tone..something that compares it to something else that guitarist has experienced before. For me, though, it presents an opportunity for creation. Now, I might not come up with earth shattering licks, baby, but I am gonna jump off the cliff anyway.
          Again, this is my personal approach to guitar playing and it works for me. I have no problem with anyone else's apporach and the great thing about music is that we can choose not to listen.

As far as it being fun being the odd man out, well, I probably lost gigs this way...but also got a lot more than I lost because of it. Reading David Torn's writings on the Gear Page, he is really respected there, because of his previous reputation. However, I don't think most of the people over there actually own or listen to him on a regular basis..I do, however...he's an odd guy.

Weird noise? Um, I don't really use guitar itself for weird noises...my pedal collection is pretty standard. I am more likely to trigger a softsynth with guitar..something that really doesn't resemble guitar at all. I tend to use synth and looping to do the weirdness, although its fun to play with 20 second reverbs, lots of delay, an eBow and a volume pedal.

I do work in a music store, but I teach. I avoid customers. For one, I don't want to seem like I am 'pushing' gear to people- I don't get paid for that, and it is dishonest. Also, I really don't care to debate the merits of steel bent saddles vs solid modern ones. So, I stay in my room, practice, read and listen to music while I wait for students. Some absolute lameness though happens when company reps come to the store and try to 'sell' the owners on new gear. Watching the Fender guy try to sell the new Am Std series being more expensive and 'really innovative' was pretty funny.

As far as the name Mincer- yes, I know, but I live in the US, so I don't care. The story is, it was my cat's name, taken from a King Crimson song. The cat I had for 12 years and was one of my best friends ever. He was awesome, so it is a small tribute.

As far as approaches to break out of things...yes. Be aware. All the time. Don't rely on muscle memory. Your brain is more powerful than your hands, and you can make the decision to play blues in A at the 1st fret, or the 7th...yeah, it will sound odd and all the patterns we love don't work. So you have to be aware and choose your notes wisely. If we limit ourselves to the unfamiliar, eventually, we accomplish 2 things: we suddenly don't sound like everyone else and we realize it isn't as scary as we thought it would be.

As far as Reeves goes, he gets bonus points for using Steinbergers. He isn't as 'out there' as David Torn, and his tone isn't as good, but I certainly applaud him for being himself.

Comment

Originally posted by YJM_Rocks View Post
            Who are your main influences as far as guitar players go?

PS. Tenets scares the **** out of me.
            Ha! Awesome- I actually thought it was more of a meditation-type song.

My influences? Early on, Tony Iommi and Ritchie Blackmore. I collected every Sabbath and Purple album and even bootlegs I could find.

Later on, Steve Howe, Steve Morse, John Mclaughlin, David Torn, Trey Gunn and Robert Fripp.
            Great jazz guitar playing will always make me stop and listen. Good technique with good tone will too.

Comment

How'd you get those gigs at the TV station?

Comment

Originally posted by ginormous View Post
                +1 to YJM. I can't even play ping-pong.

Are you inspired by people like Ralph Branca, Adrian Belew or the (un-)like?

How did you get started? At what age?
                Belew! I'd list him as an influence if I could understand what he does. I have seen him live several times, and man, talk about someone who invented his own vocabulary- if I could be 1/8th as creative as he is...

Not familiar with Ralph Branca...recommendations?

I started at age 8..classical guitar lessons in a dance studio. A middle aged spanish woman who wouldn't sit down, and walked in circles around me while I played..scared me to death...I can't believe I am still playing after that.

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
                  How'd you get those gigs at the TV station?
                  Got another one this Thursday on CBS! I will post the link later this week.

This is a funny story. While watching the moring show one day, I saw this young Amreican Idol-type singer being featured, and she was singing to a backing track. Well, on TV, you have to stand in 1 place, for the lighting, at least on this show. I think she was used to 'working the crowd' during the solos in the song. But there was no crowd in the studio. So she just stood there and kind of 'tilted' from one side to the other for 35 seconds, which is an *eternity* on TV. I thought, I could do this! I hopped on my computer and sent the station an email. Turns out the producer and I knew some of the same people, so I was in. After the first time, when they saw I was easy to work with and show up on time (the 2 most important things in gigs like this...more important than talent!!), then they asked me back. Then other stations started asking for me. So, its that age-old thing: who you know.

Comment

Headed off to teach so I will be back later to answer more!

Comment

If you could remove the guitar player from any known group, and drop yourself into that position, which group/artist would it be?

I asked that question a few other times, and they gave me some indecisive non answer.
                      So, which group?
                      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Let me first say that I really like your approach to the guitar. Very.. innovative, and 'imaginary'. I like that. Keep on keeping on.

As for my questions; I was about to ask you about one single artist or band that you could recommend to us kids, but I guess I can find some good music in the influences you have listed. However if you could point out one especially, I'd appreciate that.

The second question goes like this: do you remember one experience in your life that you have learnt a lot from, which you think others can learn from as well?
                        My Soundclick

Comment

If one should not swtart an A bleues at the 5th (or 17th) fret, where would YOU start - if you were going to play the blues?

And what do you think Keith (KGMeisser) did after the Patriots loss.

What is your critical opinion of Steve Vai?

Free range Chicken, or Dolphin free Tuna?
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

i've been asking everyone this lately so why not ask a fellow Tony Iommi fan since he was my early influence too....

who's you favorite Ozzy (solo career) guitarist?

-Mike
                            www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by Hot _Grits View Post
                              Here's the obvious one:

-dig Reeves Gabrels?
                              Wow, attempt at being funny, chip on your shoulder or just a lack of tact, there Martin? You're on a roll today!

Comment

Working...
                              X