This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WELLXV: Cat's foot, Iron Claw...Mincer's well is open for all

What movie did it take for you to realize that Ralph Macchio was your favorite actor of all time?

Comment

Ever been east? Sebastian/Vero Beach/Melbourne area?
      "So you'll never have to listen to surf music again." -Hendrix

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
        If you could remove the guitar player from any known group, and drop yourself into that position, which group/artist would it be?

I asked that question a few other times, and they gave me some indecisive non answer.
        So, which group?
        George Harrison? How cool would it be to be a Beatle? After that, I'd pretty much be able to do anything I wanted.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by JohnJohn
          Tell us about the guitar in your avatar.
          Is it a Klein?
          Have any more pics?
          It is a Brian Moore Custom Guitar C-55PM. It has 2 Duncans (a JB and APH2), piezo and 13-pin output. Chambered mahogany back, maple top. It is the guitar I use for all the synth/looping stuff. There might me a few more pics at my website, and at my Myspace: www.myspace.com/hazardfactor

I would love a Klein. I played one once, and it was the best guitar I had ever played, period. The $3500 (used) was more than I had though. Now I see them on Ebay for around $7-10k.

Comment

Originally posted by Tor View Post
            Let me first say that I really like your approach to the guitar. Very.. innovative, and 'imaginary'. I like that. Keep on keeping on.

As for my questions; I was about to ask you about one single artist or band that you could recommend to us kids, but I guess I can find some good music in the influences you have listed. However if you could point out one especially, I'd appreciate that.

The second question goes like this: do you remember one experience in your life that you have learnt a lot from, which you think others can learn from as well?
            Thanks for the compliments!
            Hmmm...lets see, since there are many rockers here...I gotta say King Crimson. This was an odd band- very English. Imagine a rock band with no dicernable blues or jazz influence, lots of improvisation, and really monster players whose musical vocabulary is from Neptune. They went through many incarnations, but all are good. In the 80s, there were 2 guitarists (Belew and Fripp). Now imagine a band with 2 guitarists who never play any chords. Or a drummer that doesn't use cymbals. You end up with some strange songs.

These are my Crim recommendations (songs, not CDs):

Larks Tongues in Aspic Pt 2
            Starless
            Fracture
            Red
            One More Red Nightmare
            Discipline
            Frame By Frame
            Indiscipline
            THRAK
            Dinosaur

And your 2nd question: Actually, it has to do with guitar as a profession, and about life skills.
            My guitar teacher during my teens was an amazing player, taught by Tal Farlow, and had a full scholarship to Berklee at age 19. Wonderful technician and player- his forte was comping chord melodies...oh man, he could play. The problem is that he was a terrible communicator, and terrible with 'people skills'. He came off as aloof, self-absorbed, entitled..etc. And he lost gigs left and right- no one wanted to work with him. One of the best players in NJ (where I grew up), he never really did anything with music, although he still plays. Alone, mostly.
            I learned that talent is maybe 5% of the equasion. Music is a social thing. I learned how to teach by doing the opposite of what he did (like its not ok to answer questions with 'because i said so'). You gotta get to work on time, with good equipment, a decent car, a working phone, and smile a lot. Look at people when they talk to you. Play every show, and teach every day grateful that when you go to work, you pick up a guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
              If one should not swtart an A bleues at the 5th (or 17th) fret, where would YOU start - if you were going to play the blues?

And what do you think Keith (KGMeisser) did after the Patriots loss.

What is your critical opinion of Steve Vai?

Free range Chicken, or Dolphin free Tuna?
              Anywhere! Blues in A for me is a wide landing strip. 8th or 10th fret as I just pick up my guitar.

And, get this, I *do* play blues, just in my own way. Who is #3 on the Blues charts on XM radio this week? You probably don't know, but I am the guitarist.

What I am guessing Keith did is stick his head outside the window to hear the Giants fans screaming. What a wild ride. The Giants were my 'home team' in NJ.

Vai rocks. Chessy, over the top, and completely original. I aspire to have that much free reign over my carreer one day.

I will take chicken over tuna any day, but I admit to looking for organic, free range, etc in any meat or veggies I buy.

Comment

Originally posted by XSSIVE View Post
                i've been asking everyone this lately so why not ask a fellow Tony Iommi fan since he was my early influence too....

who's you favorite Ozzy (solo career) guitarist?

-Mike
                Solo Ozzy has been almost impossible for me to listen to past the age of 17. However, I love Jake & Brad's playing and tone the best. I mentioned before Zakk had worked in my local NJ music store growing up. I didn't like his tone then, or now. Randy's tone is like a bird cawwing to me- great player, terrible tone.

Comment

Originally posted by YJM_Rocks View Post
                  Ever been east? Sebastian/Vero Beach/Melbourne area?
                  Used to play at the Vampire in Vero, and did some shows this past fall at the Sebastian Beach Inn at a Blues festival. I am sure I will get over there again soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunner View Post
                    Wow, attempt at being funny, chip on your shoulder or just a lack of tact, there Martin? You're on a roll today!
                    God, I hope not.

Just in case there seems to be any doubt: I have the utmost respect for Mincer, both his opinions and his work. In fact generally I have more respect for those players who dare to do something different, which unfortunately is a rare occurance in a sea of retread-happy guitarists (not that there's anything intrinsically wrong with that, either).

If it's the name thing, well, you never know when you might run across a Chelsea supporter. Had to ask. Of course, had he turned out to be Chelsea, things may well have gotten ugly then...

regardless, I'm bound to be back with more questions, and I'll take a lot of care with them...
                    Originally posted by Jolly
                    ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
                      What movie did it take for you to realize that Ralph Macchio was your favorite actor of all time?
                      The Outsiders. Required viewing by any aspiring acting students, it featured performances so gritty it made Shakespeare wish he wrote the line, "Stay gold, Ponyboy."

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                        The Outsiders. Required viewing by any aspiring acting students, it featured performances so gritty it made Shakespeare wish he wrote the line, "Stay gold, Ponyboy."
                        LMAO...I knew you'd find the humor in that.

Comment

Are you into free jazz?

If so, does a modern free prog-jazz-fusion quartet (drums, bass, 2 guitars) sound appealing?
                          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Hey Mincer,
                            What are your two most embarrasing moments?

Do you have any regrets?

What are the best moments where you've said to yourself "I am so glad I did/said that?"

Do you have an X-factor in your rig? A constant feature that gives you that certain tonal character...
                            Originally posted by Kanye West
                            Welcome to the real world. Everybody wanna booooo me but I'm a fan of real pop culture!!! No disrespect but we watchin' the show at the crib right now cause...well you know...I'm not crazy y'all, I'm just real.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                              Used to play at the Vampire in Vero, and did some shows this past fall at the Sebastian Beach Inn at a Blues festival. I am sure I will get over there again soon.
                              Cool. Was just wondering, as I live in Sebastian. Lemme know if you get any shows here.
                              "So you'll never have to listen to surf music again." -Hendrix

Comment

You are one of the members i got inspired...And i respect your work alot!

How do you begin to "let your toughts" flow to your fingers?
                                do you just warm-up and let it flow ,or do you have basic patterns to begin and just build over those patterns..Like some 8/8 rythm track with an easy bass-line...
                                Better said ,are you jamming first and vreating ,or have an idea in your head and make it bigger?

I wonder that ,since i sometime just write stuff for a particular tone..Whacky ,crazy ,stupid tones with synths and lot's of delay...That's lot's of fun ,burt only happens when i experiment...

I heard that you have the same thing going ,but i don't know why you do that and how you do that!

Nice well BTW.Thanx alot!
                                www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque

Comment

Working...
                                X