No announcement yet.

Lets see your Beater (guitar that is!).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets see your Beater (guitar that is!).

This is my first guitar. Got it when I was 17 (1987). It's a Yamaha SE 150(I think) Got tired of the pearl white paint and decided to go with the times and paint her Lime Green(it was the 80's!) with a spray can. I remember taking it apart, masking it off and hanging it in my Dads garage and just blasting her with green paint. Of course too much was applied at once and the paint started running. So I decided, "cool". The way the body was hanging, the paint ran towards the upper horn, thus her name has always been "The Green Meltup". I've actually pulled this out at Gigs! The thing stays in tune forever and just screams (not a good clean sound to be found). Over the years I put a pickup from a Kramer in it (dont know which one) and the nut was "custom" installed by yours truly from that same Kramer. I had to sand the paint off of the neck (too sticky) and added the too cool custom decal graphics to the back WAAAAY back when. I'll probably have her forever, but really, who would want her!!
    !

Re: Lets see your Beater (guitar that is!).

An old MIJ tele with HD pickups, Graph Tech saddles, my own wiring/switching scheme... It rules- it's about as much of a cross of a LP Special with a Tele as you can get.

*Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
    Originally posted by Slash2987
    Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
    Originally posted by PVFan
    I'm a good sex man.
    Originally posted by Grumpy
    I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

Originally posted by milkbone View Post
      This is my first guitar. Got it when I was 17 (1987). It's a Yamaha SE 150(I think) Got tired of the pearl white paint and decided to go with the times and paint her Lime Green(it was the 80's!) with a spray can. I remember taking it apart, masking it off and hanging it in my Dads garage and just blasting her with green paint. Of course too much was applied at once and the paint started running. So I decided, "cool". The way the body was hanging, the paint ran towards the upper horn, thus her name has always been "The Green Meltup". I've actually pulled this out at Gigs! The thing stays in tune forever and just screams (not a good clean sound to be found). Over the years I put a pickup from a Kramer in it (dont know which one) and the nut was "custom" installed by yours truly from that same Kramer. I had to sand the paint off of the neck (too sticky) and added the too cool custom decal graphics to the back WAAAAY back when. I'll probably have her forever, but really, who would want her!!

Cool guitar. its cool that is has a scalloped heel too.

Comment

I've gotten rid of all the beater/cheapo guitars I used to have. I had a Washburn A10V and a Nady Lightning, both of which I liked, but both of which had issues that I finally got tired of tinkering with them to correct.

The guitar I currently keep out of its case all the time, on a stand in the living room so I can pick it up and practice whenever I'm home is a 90's USA Washburn.
        It really isn't a cheapo, it's a very high quality made in USA guitar with factory Duncan pickups and quality hardware and workmanship. But it'd been in someone's closet for years. They sold it on E Bay and I got it for $250.

Besides practicing in the living room, this is the guitar I take with me on Saturdays when I teach lessons at a local guitar shop. It's the guitar I usually take to band rehearsals. At gigs, this guitar shares the stage with two others that I usually gig with.

It's faintly visible in the pic, but between the pickups and the knobs and selector switch, there's an area where the finish has worn away from my fingertips resting there as I'm playing. It's gotten worse since the pic was taken. It's got a few dings from bumping into stuff in the lesson room at the guitar shop.
        "Just like bad gas, they (metal riffs) sneak out every once in a while."
        Jah Paul Jo - Dread Zeppelin
        guitar pic site
        Original prog rock on soundcloud
        Original ambient guitar pieces on soundcloud
        Original blues on soundcloud.com

Comment

I s'ppose these 2 would be my 'beater' guitars:

The 1st is a cheapie Gould korean made Telecaster that I've put a Bareknuckle Piledriver (Esquire style pickup) in the bridge of and bought a new scratchplate for.

The strat is somethign I cobbled together out of parts I found in a carrier bag while at college 5 or so years ago. It's my main SSS Strat at the minute, but it gets used alot and I don't care if I knock it around.

Comment

Heres is a parts guitar I built.
            USA fender body, MIJ neck, old red schaller tuners, kahler locking hardtail bridge, and vintage Dimarzios. The bridge pickup is a Dimarzio Rick Derringer, HS2 mid and paf pro taken from old Jem.

Comment

Paid $67.51 in mint condition about 10 years ago. It's a piece, but I love the neck. I hate the body and the headstock and the hardware but it sounds awesome plugged in.

my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

this is my guitar. it's one of the few decent Jay Tursers that were made when the company first started. all the stuff they make now is pretty crappy quality. it's my main axe and man does it sing! after all the work i've done to it it better!!!
                Guitars:
                JT200c les paul copy( jazzn,59n b);
                MIM Fender Sunburst Strat.
                Gibson Lp Standard cherry burst.
                Traynor YCV-50 Blue

Life is too short for bad tone…

Comment

the closest thing I have to a "beater" is my 1988 Charvel Model 3.... it had quite a few nicks and scratches on it when I bought it, but I love the thing. I swapped the bridge pickup for a Dimebucker which sounds killer... I can use my Charvel for both bands I'm putting together( a modern heavy metal band and a 1980's glam metal style band). Its the only guitar I have stickers on, a custom "KILL EMO" sticker my girlfriend made me, a Def Leppard "YEAH!" sticker on the back, and I have a small skull and cross bones sticker that I added since I took the pics. I also took off the skull knobs I had on it and put the original knobs back on.

Comment

Originally posted by Kosh Naranek View Post
                    I've gotten rid of all the beater/cheapo guitars I used to have. I had a Washburn A10V and a Nady Lightning, both of which I liked, but both of which had issues that I finally got tired of tinkering with them to correct.

The guitar I currently keep out of its case all the time, on a stand in the living room so I can pick it up and practice whenever I'm home is a 90's USA Washburn.
                    It really isn't a cheapo, it's a very high quality made in USA guitar with factory Duncan pickups and quality hardware and workmanship. But it'd been in someone's closet for years. They sold it on E Bay and I got it for $250.

Besides practicing in the living room, this is the guitar I take with me on Saturdays when I teach lessons at a local guitar shop. It's the guitar I usually take to band rehearsals. At gigs, this guitar shares the stage with two others that I usually gig with.

It's faintly visible in the pic, but between the pickups and the knobs and selector switch, there's an area where the finish has worn away from my fingertips resting there as I'm playing. It's gotten worse since the pic was taken. It's got a few dings from bumping into stuff in the lesson room at the guitar shop.
                    That's a 94-96 MG series USA Chicago Custom it came with a JB or PG in the bridge and a pair of SSL-5's. Those are really high end true handbuilt guitars and will blow morst anything from the Fender Custom Shop out of the water--.I ought to know as I worked for a Fender dealer for years and I personaly own 8 of those and 0 Fenders!
                    Here is the beater of my MG herd a 1995 MG 102 in transparent Orange. She has a one piece Swamp ash body and a 59 in the neck with a Custom that has an A-8 mag in the bridge. This one retailed for a little over a grand but I snagged it off ebay for $325 shipped. It's got a bit of buckle rash on the back and a few dings but the neck has a smooth warm played in feel the frets are perfect it plays like butter and it flat SCREAMS!!!

And the "voice" http://www.box.net/shared/bnc3ghqvrr
                    Guitars
                    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Toss up between this one, an old Warmoth that is also the guinea pig for most of my modding ideas. It's got a Full Shred bridge and a '59 neck pickup now.

and Bucky, my beloved MIM Strat. Had and EMG 85 in her for years, now she's got a Gibby 490r, just love the tone this one gets. I know Bucky is a boys name, I don't care!

Comment

2000 MIM with ssl-3
                        "I believe the truth is not told between 9 and 5." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

1982 G&L, SC-1

Sprinter
                          Collings: '08 001-mhsb
                          Dean: '02 Hardtail
                          Fender: '63 Jazzmaster, '74 Telecaster & '11 American Special Telecaster
                          Fender Custom Shop: '16 1962 Custom Telecaster
                          Gibson: '78 Les Paul Deluxe & '99 Les Paul Standard
                          G&L: '87 Asat, '02 Asat Classic
                          Guild: '81 X-79 Skyhawk
                          Heritage: '09 H535 25th Anniversary
                          PRS: '97 Standard 24 & '99 McCarty

Comment

Originally posted by Sprinter View Post

1982 G&L, SC-1

Sprinter
                            that sir is a beautiful guitar. it's like there's splooge cumming out of my screen

Originally posted by Brow View Post
                            I s'ppose these 2 would be my 'beater' guitars:

The 1st is a cheapie Gould korean made Telecaster that I've put a Bareknuckle Piledriver (Esquire style pickup) in the bridge of and bought a new scratchplate for.

The strat is somethign I cobbled together out of parts I found in a carrier bag while at college 5 or so years ago. It's my main SSS Strat at the minute, but it gets used alot and I don't care if I knock it around.
                            th4t 1s s3cks

Originally posted by milkbone View Post
                            i would kill to have this as my first guitar....especially with tat pain j0b
                            Originally posted by kilphody
                            There is no such thing as useless knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by cream123 View Post
                              that sir is a beautiful guitar. it's like there's splooge cumming out of my screen

Thank you.

Sprinter
                              Collings: '08 001-mhsb
                              Dean: '02 Hardtail
                              Fender: '63 Jazzmaster, '74 Telecaster & '11 American Special Telecaster
                              Fender Custom Shop: '16 1962 Custom Telecaster
                              Gibson: '78 Les Paul Deluxe & '99 Les Paul Standard
                              G&L: '87 Asat, '02 Asat Classic
                              Guild: '81 X-79 Skyhawk
                              Heritage: '09 H535 25th Anniversary
                              PRS: '97 Standard 24 & '99 McCarty

Comment

Working...
                              X