X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Well XVII: Bring Your Daughters To the Slaughter

[QUOTE=3'scompany;1692676]Ahhh...

After breaking down for the 3rd day in a row and having our van's motor blow I was about ready to kill. Then we find out that our manager wasn't going to help us get back to California even though he told us he'd "never leave us stranded". Oh yeah, we were stranded in Houston, Tx. in the middle of May. 100+ degrees and 95% humidity. Fun stuff.
    E]

100 degrees and 95% humisdity in may. Yup thats Houston! LOL . Great Well so far!

Comment

Mind giving us a brief (or detailed) history of your listening preferences.
      Well, Greenday's 'Dookie' was the first album I ever bought, when ever that came out. I grew up listening to them, Silverchair, Soundgarden, stuff like that.

Then I got into ska/punk when Reel Big Fish and Goldfinger busted onto the scene. From there I got more into punk music than ska and discovered Strung Out which sparked my desire for harder music.

Slowly I started listening to harder stuff with more of a metal edge (i.e. Unearth), though still liking a lot of punk music.

As of now, I listen to punk, metal, southern rock, hip-hop, pop, soft acoustic stuff, basically anything as long as it has a good sense of melody. But really my preference is for punky, southern rockish, or metally stuff all rolled into one if possible. And Strung Out is still my favorite band after all these years. And I'm not afraid to admit I love Avenged Sevenfold.

Same as above, but with gear instead of music?
      Well, I started off wanting to play bass and wanted a sparkley G&L ASAT bass as that is what the dude from silverchair played But the guy at the music store convinced me to play guitar for a year to get that down and then switch to bass so I'd know how to play both. Well, I took his advice about guitar and never looked back towards playing bass.

First off I got my Epi les paul special and really wanted a gibson les paul. I played that thing for years just saving for an appropriate axe. Over the years of saving I really wanted a Rick 360 and was looking at Guild hollow bodies too. When it came time to do some real shopping as I had saved a load of cash, my mom and dad told me to play a PRS they pulled off the wall as they knew I had loved the way those looked. After I played that W/F neck I was in love. Then I knew I had to save up even more $$

At 14 years old I bought my blue Cu22 artist package (back when they didn't cost upwards of $4k) and have been a PRS guy ever since.

But now I'm really interested in some different guitars as I don't like having umpteen reiterations of the same guitar. Now I really want an ES-335 and a GAS over a ton of guitars but too many to mention.

As far as amps go, I got a Mesa nomad combo as my first good amp after years of playing through a crappy DOD Grind practice amp The nomad I never really could get to sound how I wanted so I ditched it and got a JCM 2000 and had that amp until just a couple months ago. I bought a Mesa Triple rec about 6 years ago as a dumb buy (shoulda bought the dual but I was a stupid 17 year old) which I still have now and actually love how it sounds. I'd love to try out some splawns or own a bogner uber or ecstacy though. I like me the high gain stuff, but not buzz saw-y. I love the vintage setting on the 2nd channel of my recto. It sounds so heavy yet organic, if that makes sense.

Pedals, never really been a fan of. The only ones I would contemplate buying would be a delay, wah, and some other random crap that I'd use for like 30 seconds of one song.

Man VK, those were some verbally taxing questions, but good ones none the less. Made me reflect a bit
      Last edited by 3'scompany; 02-18-2008, 03:50 AM.
      DayGlo

Comment

Originally posted by LesStrat View Post
        You are the conductor of a train. A train leaves the station at 4:00pm EST traveling west at 63 MPH and a bus leaves a station 567 miles away traveling east at 45 MPH, and the dining car runs out of t-bone steak at 5:38pm. The passengers riot, immediately, and the engineer accelerates to 75MPH for 30 minutes. What is the name of the conductor?
        Cooter McClarky: Conductor Extraordinaire

Edit: Funny story about the name 'Cooter McClarky'. I actually almost legally changed my name to that in a bet for some money. Good times
        DayGlo

Comment

Is the social scene at Berkeley really that bad? How rough is the coursework?

I ask because I've been considering it for when I go to graduate school.

P.S....what the heck is it with that dude in your avatar?
          Facebook - My facebook page
          Kemo For Emo - My band. Now verified on Facebook & Spotify!

Comment

Originally posted by Jake View Post
            Is the social scene at Berkeley really that bad?How rough is the coursework?

I ask because I've been considering it for when I go to graduate school.
            No, not unbearable. I just don't really hang out with hippies, hipsters and pretentious pseudo-intellectuals. There are some cool people here, but as a whole I don't really get along with the majority of them. And most people here get really mad when they hear I'm a gun dude and love to go shooting.

The music scene here isn't my thing either, as I'm not into indie music and liking obscure bands just to be obscure. Though the music scene here does inspire me to start my rock/southern rock/party rock band I've wanted to form and name either 'Whisky Tango' or 'Night Panther' just to stir things up

As far as the course work goes, while I can't comment on the grad programs, the undergrad isn't insane. I was worried about it when I transfered but managed to have my lowest grade last semester be an A- for a class I really didn't like to much. It is a lot of work, but it isn't ridiculous. There is A LOT of reading though. I spend a lot of my time reading. A lot.

You mentioned wanting to get your MBA right? Haas is a great business school and good luck. Hope to see you here. If you go here and I go to Boalt we'll have to grab a beer!

P.S....what the heck is it with that dude in your avatar?
            Other than him being extremely awesome? I don't know. He just glows with rad-itude. When I found my old avatar of him I just about died with delight. Then when I found another I was ecstatic. I lost the old pic of him I had though I just want to know who he is.
            Last edited by 3'scompany; 02-18-2008, 03:54 AM.
            DayGlo

Comment

You mean the guy in your avatar pic is not a composite of the 3's company performers?
              Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
              https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
              Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Originally posted by LesStrat View Post
                You mean the guy in your avatar pic is not a composite of the 3's company performers?
                I guess the secret is out....
                DayGlo

Comment

It would have worked better without the brunette's moustache.
                  Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                  https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
                  Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Originally posted by 3'scompany View Post
                    Man VK, those were some verbally taxing questions, but good ones none the less. Made me reflect a bit

That was half the point - thanks for being so thorough!

I've always heard, as some kind of unwritten law, that if you get into Berkeley, you won't get into UCLA, and vice versa. Apparently, that's BS!
                    www.JeffDunne.com

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual Kevorkian View Post
                      I've always heard, as some kind of unwritten law, that if you get into Berkeley, you won't get into UCLA, and vice versa. Apparently, that's BS!
                      Nope! I know quite a few people here that got into both. Actually, come to think of it, a lot of people. So if you're undecided about either, just apply for both!
                      DayGlo

Comment

Re: The Well XVII:Cooter McClarky goin' buck wild"

I'm actually leaning way more heavily towards UCLA, because of the social conditions you described, among other things. I'll be there for four years... not sure if I'd want to jump into an area famous for it's high number of social faux pas for that long.

But that does make sense - I'll apply just for the hell of it I suppose.
                        www.JeffDunne.com

Comment

How could I not? Bring it on!
                          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                            Another mouse fails at the game of life.

DayGlo

Comment

Another mouse fails at life.
                              That one makes 6 this week

Yeah, I know it's kind of sick, but I try to get at least one good pic from each feeding session (a feeding session is typically 3 mice).

So, back on topic.... as you play longer, do you get more or less anal about your tone? In other words, do you freak out about every little thing, or just make it work?
                              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                                So, back on topic.... as you play longer, do you get more or less anal about your tone? In other words, do you freak out about every little thing, or just make it work?
                                Its kinda weird. I care more about my tone now, or at least am more conscious about it, but it isn't something I stress over. I mean, 95% of the time I play I'm just plugged into garage band (a recording program on my laptop) and rock out with my headphones on. And let me tell you, while not totally unbearable, garage band is no recto

But then again, I've got a track record of swapping out the pickups in at least one of my guitars ever 4-6 months - though that probably will stop as I'm quite happy with the phat cats in my Cu22 and the C-5/PGn in my singlecut - and I'm wanting to experiment with new tubes in my recto that I never get the opportunity to even open up

So as time goes on I care more about my tone, but I see myself generally doing less to tweak my tone. An interesting paradox, I know. But I think a large part of my apathy towards buying tone enhancing bits for my rig is that I know that they'll just sit in my apartment for now. I mean, sure I might love to sell my half stack and buy a splawn or to buy a lead boost or this or that, but how useful will that actually be for me?

That being said, I am going to buy a new 4x12 as a tonal improvement over my Marshall one I'm not that crazy about, but that is largely due to the fact that my buddy wants to buy my Marshall, which will help fund my avatar purchase.

And about the snake feeding pics, sometimes you just gotta enjoy the simple pleasures in life
                                DayGlo

Comment

Working...
                                X