banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which pot's value has biggest effect on tone? The volume pot or the tone pot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which pot's value has biggest effect on tone? The volume pot or the tone pot?

I have a guitar with one volume pot and one tone pot. Both are now 500k. I am considering replacing one of them with a 250k pot to reduce the treble response of the pickup a bit. Which pot's value is most likley to affect the treble response, the volume pot or the tone pot?
    Guitars: Red Special, Partscasters, Gibson Les Paul Standard and '61 Ri SG
    Amps: Tiny Terror, AC15HW1, and VHT Special 6
    Effects Chain: Q-Tron->Spark Booster->TU-2->TS808->Distortron->Dimension C->Spring Chicken->Flint->Flashback X4

Re: Which pot's value has biggest effect on tone? The volume pot or the tone pot?

Definitely the tone pot, however, you don't need to change it to try it. If its a linear pot, put it on "5". If its a log pot, put it on about 7 or 8. That will give the 250k "sound". If you like that, change the tone pot.

Comment

Re: Which pot's value has biggest effect on tone? The volume pot or the tone pot?

artie, you are the man but i must disagree with you on this. i think changing the volume control has more effect than changing the tone control. i have no hard evidence of this but what ive heard with my ears. lowering the volume controls value warmed up the sound more than lowering the tone controls value

Comment

To my ears the volume pot change is more noticeable than a tone pot change, when all are on "10", and if it is a 22nF capacitor then it's an even smaller difference.

Having said that, with most pickups you only get an audible difference that is useful to "fix" a guitar when you change all three, from 500/500/22 to 250/250/47. There are more sensitive pickups, such as my Antiquity buckers, that react to smaller difference, so YMMV.

Comment

I think (without being all that sure) that, depending on how the tone pot is wired (a-la strat i.e. directly to the pu or universal, directly to the volume pot) the tone pot when on 10 can (or not) kinda be transparent. That doesn't sound too reassuring, huh?
          Originally posted by Blue_Fingers_Jay
          I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
          Originally posted by That90'sGuy
          Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Comment

Ok - I'm now just as confused as before.
            Effects Chain: Q-Tron->Spark Booster->TU-2->TS808->Distortron->Dimension C->Spring Chicken->Flint->Flashback X4

Comment

How you wire the capacitor, exactly, should matter here. It's a capacitor and a resistor in series. Changing the order, or connecting it to different hot point in the guitar, doesn't change anything, and the tone pot at "10" is still different from having no tone pot.

The first thing you do is what Artie said: take an Ohmmeter and turn the tone pot to where it is 250 Kohm. That's good enough for testing. Post here whether you have a 22 or 47 nF tone capacitor.

Then, use crocodile clips to put a 500 Kohm resistor parallel to the bases of the volume poti, that's your 250 Kohm poti at "10".

Comment

Guys,

I just got an email response back from Steve Blucher at DiMarzio who said that changing the volume pot would have more of an effect than changing the tone pot. However, this effect is rather subtle. He therefore recommends that both pots be changed to 250k to hear a clearly noticeable difference in the treble response of the pickup.

Comment

Working...
                X