banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Well XVIX: Hot Grits says it's too drunk to be this early...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Well XVIX: Hot Grits says it's too drunk to be this early...

Originally posted by wahwah View Post
    An excellent Well so far H_G, a very interesting read indeed. You have, to this point, managed to successfully conceal your thinly veiled love and deep respect for all things Australian. I was a little disappointed in your lack of support for the NZ national anthem, I always thought it was a catchy little number, especially that chorus section that goes "Her love shines over my horizon, she's a slice of heaven..." and that "Na, Na, Na" bit.

Now, on to my question.

You're on one of those rare deserted islands which happens to have a generator. (Actually, for a Kiwi, that won't require too much in the way of imagination!) You are allowed one amp, one guitar and one pedal. What would you choose to take, in each category?

Chur Cuz................................wahwah
    Probably my Vic Double Deluxe with 2 G12H30s and modded to add reverb and trem. If that's a bit big wattage-wise (maybe the natives are restless), I'd go with a Swart AST.

Pedals? -I'd probably go for an all-in-one unit like the blue Boss thing. Is that cheating? -Multi units aren't my thing, and to a certain extent pedals aren't either, but it'd be nice to have some other sounds for variety.

For a guitar, I'd probably take an alder bodied relic tele with a fat neck, jumbo frets and a flattish radius. A tapped bridge pickup would be nice for a couple of output options. But my tele or reverend would do just fine.

Now I think about it, a boss loop station would be a cool thing to take...
    Originally posted by Jolly
    ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

Originally posted by Rainmaker View Post
      What is your most embarrasing moment?
      Wow, too many.

I always cock up some important part of a song when my band is being filmed for TV. that's always fun.

My big sister still tells people about me doing breakdance moves in my seat when she took me to see Breakdance 2: electric boogaloo.

I was in a tutorial class at uni, and was given job of note taker in a group consisting of three girls and myself. I was absent-mindedly doodling while the group discussed stuff. There was an embarrassing silence when I realised everyone was staring at my doodles: what appeared to be a very large pair of breasts. That went down well.

I can't tell you how many times I've started a solo in the wrong key or accidentally stomped on my tuner or left it on.

I also did lead vocal duties at a gig. That was pretty horrid for all concerned.

What is your favourite main course?
      I'm a sucker for a rare eye fillet. I'm going to go with the eye fillet, stir fried lettuce, salt and pepper oyster fritter, sichuan jus from a local restaurant called Rice.

What is your favourite dessert?
      ice cream. most types.

Are you familar with New Zealand's Gale Chan?
      Nope. Who is she? -I do know about Wing:

Wing (Buy her music at http://www.wingmusic.co.nz/ pay $3 more and she'll sing to you over the phone - no shit!), made internationally famous by South Park p...

Who is your favourite Australian band of all time?
      AC-DC. Especially early stuff. I like lots of Aussie bands. Right now, I dig the FEEEENGER.

What country would you love to visit?
      So many places. I plan to head to Britain to visit Anfield stadium in Liverpool before they pull it down. I'd love to get over to the states, meet some forum bros and try A LOT of amps.

Top of the list would have to be Spain. I'd love to spend some time there.
      Last edited by Hot _Grits; 03-04-2008, 02:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JustWendell View Post
        If you could have any superpower what would you want to have?
        I'm torn between invisiblilty and flying. Both of those would be too cool. Maybe invisibilty from the waist down and a bit of a hover. Come to think about it, invisible from the waist down would look like I hover. Maybe waist up...

What about a power that you would hate to have/find utterly useless?
        I have lots of those!

What's one movie that should be required viewing for all?
        On this forum? -This is Spinal Tap.

in general: Monty Python's Life of Brian.

favorite character? (question is vague on purpose...choose whoever/whatever)
        Basil Fawlty. or The Dude. My Dad's a bit of a character, too.
        Last edited by Hot _Grits; 03-04-2008, 03:19 AM.

Comment

Manchester United > FC Bin Dippers
          "Tone is in the cheese." -LSP

"whoever says angus young is overrated is a complete idiot." -flank

Comment

Originally posted by brisk View Post
            Manchester United > FC Bin Dippers
            1977:

1978:

1981:

1984:

2005:

Now run along and munch on a prawn sandwich.

Comment

"Tone is in the cheese." -LSP

"whoever says angus young is overrated is a complete idiot." -flank

Comment

What were your main reason for becoming a fan of LFC?

Go Manchester United btw.
                My Soundclick

Comment

Originally posted by Hot _Grits View Post
                  My big sister still tells people about me doing breakdance moves in my seat when she took me to see Breakdance 2: electric boogaloo.
                  I always thought you were a cool dude before but this just seals the deal knowing you saw that movie in the theater.

The raunchiest, dirty, drunken swaggerin' rock band in your opinion?

Favorite animal?

If you could have any profession in the world other than being a professional musician, what would you choose?

Forever young, you want to be forever young? Is this a true statement?

Nastiest thing you've ever eaten?

You have to cartwheel naked down a main street for half a mile with a parade following you to save your family's life. What song/songs do you have the marching band perform and who is the parade made up of?

Who do you think best lives up to the nickname 'Ham-bone'?
                  DayGlo

Comment

Originally posted by Tor View Post
                    What were your main reason for becoming a fan of LFC?

Go Manchester United btw.
                    My next-oldest brother and I played football (the rest played rugby league), and we were both indoctrinated at a very young age by Sam Small, our scouse next-door neighbour.

My earliest football memories are of being allowed to stay up til after midnight and crowd around the bar heater with my brother and father to watch the European Cup final. I can clearly remember watching the '81 final.

I couldn't have asked for a better team to support as a child. Sunday mornings were invariably about getting up and sitting with bro to watch the single Match of the Day for the week, which about 85% of the time was liverpool passing their way elegantly through whatever defence was massed in front of them...

Supporting Liverpool has it's ups and downs these days, but the ups are still the envy of many a team (every team, in the case of 2005). The most successful club in the history of British football.

Comment

Originally posted by 3'scompany View Post
                      I always thought you were a cool dude before but this just seals the deal knowing you saw that movie in the theater.
                      haha, to me that just means I'm old...

The raunchiest, dirty, drunken swaggerin' rock band in your opinion?
                      Perhaps the MC5. Early Van Halen did pretty well on that front, and you can't rule out the Stones. We here at The Defendants do our bit as well.

Favorite animal?

I love otters. I've always been highly impressed by them, but one day I was visiting the zoo...

...It was late in the afternoon and the otters were all sleeping in a big pile. One of the otters rolled off the pile, climbed to the top, weed all over his sleeping brothers and sisters, and nestled back down on top of the pile. At that point I knew they were the animal for me.

If you could have any profession in the world other than being a professional musician, what would you choose?
                      Wildest dreams: Passing central midfielder (in the Molby/Alonso mould) for Liverpool FC.

More everyday: It'd be cool to sit around in a boutique amp shop. I get to do that once a week right now...

Forever young, you want to be forever young? Is this a true statement?
                      Well, I've always looked younger than I am. I don't mind growing older. Its the getting stupider that annoys me.

Nastiest thing you've ever eaten?
                      Hmmm,

catfood?

a tequila slammer mixed with congealing Baileys (solid enough to be considered edible)?

my mother's 'fish surprise'?

a cockroach?

-you choose.

You have to cartwheel naked down a main street for half a mile with a parade following you to save your family's life. What song/songs do you have the marching band perform and who is the parade made up of?
                      The marching band would perform a medley of 'panama', 'the monty python theme', 'fairies wear boots', 'let it whip', 'alphabet street', 'hush' and 'the way we were'.

The procession would consist of:

-The membership of the Point Chevalier Returned Services Association (in drag).

-half a dozen bomb squad dogs (no handlers) dressed as Bichon Frise.

-local legend John Rowles (rumour has it that Elvis Presley was the world's greatest ever John Rowles impersonator) mounted atop an Indian elephant.

-Reinhold Bogner, dressed in a slight fat suit, ill fitting jeans, sport sandals and a peavey branded polo shirt, cradling that cute polar bear cub from East Germany, both eagerly sniffing:

-a 60ft long pepperoni salami carried by dozens of promotional models (y'know, the ones who aren't quite good enough to be real models, like security guards are to cops) being whipped by midgets.

-the 1982 New Zealand world cup squad (wearing the original kit and moustaches, regardless of current waistlines) also being whipped by midgets.

-a pot of glue, symbolising famous New Zealand racehorse Phar Lap, carried by Rachel Hunter, whipped by cream.

-Richard Dawkins and the new Nazi Pope guy wrestling with ping pong bats taped to their hands in a vat of lukewarm custard, ringed with an electric fence (a great new zealand invention).

-and at both ends there would be special floats for The Hot Grits and the Defendants, with each band playing the other's music (no rehearsal). I would be ferried from one float to the other via a catapult and net system manned by David lee Roth dressed as a six foot tall broccoli.

Who do you think best lives up to the nickname 'Ham-bone'?
                      My mum. She's a hell of a woman.
                      Last edited by Hot _Grits; 03-04-2008, 05:54 PM.

Comment

My next-oldest brother and I played football (the rest played rugby league), and we were both indoctrinated at a very young age by Sam Small, our scouse next-door neighbour.

My earliest football memories are of being allowed to stay up til after midnight and crowd around the bar heater with my brother and father to watch the European Cup final. I can clearly remember watching the '81 final.

I couldn't have asked for a better team to support as a child. Sunday mornings were invariably about getting up and sitting with bro to watch the single Match of the Day for the week, which about 85% of the time was liverpool passing their way elegantly through whatever defence was massed in front of them...

Supporting Liverpool has it's ups and downs these days, but the ups are still the envy of many a team (every team, in the case of 2005). The most successful club in the history of British football.
                        One thing I have to hand to the LFC; they have unarguably one of the very best supporters in the world, with respect to creating electric atmosphere at the Kop. I'd love to see United with so passionate fans..
                        My Soundclick

Comment

I'll be building a tweed princeton this year, so if that goes well, the next projects will be a JTM45 and an EL84 amp.
                          FYI, Dave Hunter has teamed with Victoria for the next version of his Two Stroke Amp, which is based on the tweed Princeton.

I already started a two stroke project ... haha ... we do have similar tastes in amps for sure.
                          "music heals"
                          facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Tor View Post
                            One thing I have to hand to the LFC; they have unarguably one of the very best supporters in the world, with respect to creating electric atmosphere at the Kop. I'd love to see United with so passionate fans..
                            ...as opposed to all the johnny-come-lately glory hunter fans that have come along in the premiership era (I'm looking at YOU, Mr Brisk)?

The percussionist in The Hot Grits is from Manchester and has supported Manure all his life. We enjoy banter, but we both respect each other's teams, as we both know the history. And real Liverpool and United supporters just have to look to Hillsborough, Heysel and Munich to know that there are more important things in life, in spite of what the great Bill Shankly once said.

Hillsborough Tribute100 Days That Shook The KopThe Mighty WAH!Heart As Big As LiverpoolNEVER FORGOTTEN

Same with my Arsenal supporter mate Spencer. He's had a whale of a time over the last few years (2001 FA Cup excepted: I ended up stuck to a bar floor while he skulked off home like a puppy about to get the snip, only to find his car had been nicked! -priceless), but he remembers what supporting Arsenal used to be like, which makes recent times even sweeter for him. We give each other arseholes about the football, but above all there's the respect, and the shared knowledge that we've both seen some decent football in our time.

And you're right about Liverpool supporters. The are the best supporters in English football. There are diehard supporters of every team, but there's something special about Liverpool and the Kop. It annoys other supporters no end, but it's true. No neutral football lover enjoys a day trip to Emirates, Old Trafford or Stamford Bridge purely to see the local support.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Your parade scenario blew my mind. If you ever come to the states and around my neck of the woods, rounds are on me.

Edit:

One more question. I once had to do a mini presentation on the music of Aotearoa in my 'Politics of Music' class last semester. I played this video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=DQLUygS0IAQ

A fitting music video of the time? Yay or nay?

And seeing as how about 10k people are in the video, do you make a cameo?
                              Last edited by 3'scompany; 03-04-2008, 03:14 PM.
                              DayGlo

Comment

Originally posted by Curly View Post
                                FYI, Dave Hunter has teamed with Victoria for the next version of his Two Stroke Amp, which is based on the tweed Princeton.

I already started a two stroke project ... haha ... we do have similar tastes in amps for sure.
                                Is that the project from the book he wrote? -cool!

Maybe one day we could do timeshare. I holiday at yours and you holiday at mine. At least we wouldn't have to worry about changing rigs...

Comment

Working...
                                X