banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Well XVIX: Hot Grits says it's too drunk to be this early...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Well XVIX: Hot Grits says it's too drunk to be this early...

Originally posted by guitfiddle View Post
    I have a couple of friends down there right now who have lived in NZ for two 6 month periods...if you could tell them of one thing to go see that really moves you there, what would it be?
    There's so much natural beauty that's it's a right bugger to narrow it down to just one thing. But the most striking thing for me would be Mt Tongariro National Park. It's like stepping onto the surface of the moon. Runner up would be Bethells or Piha beach on Auckland's west coast on a stormy night. When the weather rolls in it feels like the heavens are right at the end of your outstretched hand.
    Last edited by Hot _Grits; 03-02-2008, 04:34 AM.
    Originally posted by Jolly
    ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

Originally posted by jerryjg View Post
      Buahhhhhhhhhhhh! this is , I think the 3rd/4th well Ive asked the 1st question on! Im badass!
      Or you have no life!!!!

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

Stuff, how do you feel about it?

What in your view is the ultimate quintessential 80's axe?

If you were to eat a grilled cheese sandwich, what is your cheese of choice?

Is shred dead?

What is the ugliest guitar you've ever seen?

If you were forced to get a tattoo of a narhwhal with a stripper pole dancing on its horn or a member of Manowar (in a loin cloth) wrestling an orangutan which would you choose? Why?

Beers, how many?

If you were in a metal band that required the members to have a stage names, what would yours be (keep in mind that 'beefy tiger' is already taken by me, the other guitar player in said fantasy band)?

If you could own any guitar tomorrow, what would it be?

How do you feel about this video?: http://youtube.com/watch?v=JW7q0JzWaoY

What picture do you think best captures the phrase 'tha dirty bird'?
        DayGlo

Comment

Great choice on the Duran Duran song, I used to play it with my band back in Cyprus. I have a copy of it somewhere...

Where and when did you have your greatest on stage moment?

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

Originally posted by stevie_bees View Post
            Or you have no life!!!!
            how bout im *sort* of bad ass and dont have *much* of a life? We now return you to youre regularly scheduled progam.

Comment

Haha 3's, I knew you'd bring it...

Originally posted by 3'scompany View Post
              Stuff, how do you feel about it?
              -As a rule, I like stuff. I definitely like my stuff. Sometimes I like other people's stuff. Occasionally, other people let me touch their stuff. But it's best to ask first as not everyone wants you to touch their stuff.

What in your view is the ultimate quintessential 80's axe?
              -For me, it's the Kramer baretta with a maple fingerboard. That's the guitar I lusted after as a kid. JB in the bridge.

If you were to eat a grilled cheese sandwich, what is your cheese of choice?
              Cumin Gouda from the Puhoi cheese shop, about 45mins north of Auckland.

Is shred dead?
              It appears to be very much alive, judging by the amount of dudes playing like that nowadays. I guess there's always going to be kids who want to play fast and accurate, yet not too adventurously, which is what i tend to hear when I hear young shred dudes. Shred guitar has kind of congealed into a fairly strict thing, whereas back in the 80s there was a real sense that the players were trying for new sounds and ways of playing. I'd really like to hear a new player come along and really play some cool, fluid stuff straight off the cuff, as all the stuff I hear is like someone charting a graph.

What is the ugliest guitar you've ever seen?
              The Wangcaster takes a hell of a beating (pun intended)

If you were forced to get a tattoo of a narhwhal with a stripper pole dancing on its horn or a member of Manowar (in a loin cloth) wrestling an orangutan which would you choose? Why?
              I'm tending to go with the narhwhal, even though I don't actually know what one is. As fun as the Manowar tattoo would be for a month, it may possibly lose cultural significance over time...

Beers, how many?
              On a weeknight at home? -one or two.

before going onstage -never more than four. Usually seven or eight is the 'too drunk to pluck' plateau for me.

After a gig, or out on the tiles: As many as desired. I never get fall-down blackout, vomity drunk, but I do tend to pile it on if I'm out in the great New Zealand tradition of binge drinking. These days it's mostly gigs where I do that, though. Gigging has ruined me a bit for being a punter at bars...

If you were in a metal band that required the members to have a stage names, what would yours be (keep in mind that 'beefy tiger' is already taken by me, the other guitar player in said fantasy band)?
              Well, my heavy rock band does have nicknames: each of us is named after the Sabbath album of our birthyear. Our drummer is 'The sabotage baby', our bass player is 'Mr technical ecstasy', the singer is 'the paranoid master of reality' and I'm 'Sutcliffe bloody Sutcliffe'.

In that band I'm also known as 'The Squirter'. In my other band I'm known as 'Vegas'.

If you could own any guitar tomorrow, what would it be?
              For tracking with my band this week I'd love a really nice SG special with p90s.

For me personally in general, I'd love a red ES345 like Freddie King used to play.

If it was more a 'priceless, wildest dreams guitar' thing, I'd go for Ed's original frankenstein.

How do you feel about this video?: http://youtube.com/watch?v=JW7q0JzWaoY
              Wow! -I feel like my life has definitely been enriched by your sharing that. That is just out-of-god****-sight!

While we're on the topic, I'll see you and raise you with this:

The (in?)famous song recorded by the 1988 FA Cup finalists Liverpool. The song was Craig Johnston's idea, not John Barnes' as many might think. At this time ...

-not surprisingly, that was the brainchild of an Australian.

What picture do you think best captures the phrase 'tha dirty bird'?
              -Luckily I don't have photographic evidence of what that term means to me. But let me suggest that as a rule, it's best not to mix a friday night out with large amounts of alcohol, Miles Davis' *****es Brew, a Liverpool FC scarf and a sexual asphyxiac visitor from out of town if you want your new Christian flatmate to not move out the following afternoon.
              Last edited by Hot _Grits; 03-02-2008, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stevie_bees View Post
                Great choice on the Duran Duran song, I used to play it with my band back in Cyprus. I have a copy of it somewhere...

Where and when did you have your greatest on stage moment?
                Dunno if there's one, I've had so many good times.

The time The Hot Grits performed on a show for local MTV was pretty amazing. It was a competition with four other bands and we really played like our arses were on fire that night, like our lives depended on proving that a soul band could punch harder than the other rock bands on the bill. Real primal scream (the therapy, not the band) stuff.

On tour for the last Hot Grits record we did a little fill in gig at a cafe on a motor camp near Nelson in the South Island. We played on an open deck by a beach on a windless night. The sound was pristine, and people gradually filed out of the camp onto the beach to watch us play as the sun set in the distance. That was pretty special.

With The Defendants, supporting Oz band Airbourne was great. I had a 65 London and 2x12 running in stereo with my Victoria Double Deluxe in a good sounding room with a full crowd, and for forty minutes every note I played was a pure pleasure...

Any big gigs are also great. I love playing festivals especially, and seeing people who have never heard of our music getting down.
                Last edited by Hot _Grits; 03-02-2008, 06:36 AM.

Comment

...oh, and I forgot my first 'gig': at age 17, I did an unaccompanied guitar solo in front of a full Auckland Town Hall, as part of a comedy sketch. I was filling in for this guy:

Here's a television performance of me shredding in a Kilt. I mock.

-luckily, they didn't make me wear the kilt or do any deep knee bends and Gary Moore random pointing.

I got through my one minute of assorted technical exercises with no obvious mistakes and at the end the whole crowd went nuts. That contributed to an inflated sense of self worth for a good couple of weeks.
                  Last edited by Hot _Grits; 03-02-2008, 06:55 AM.

Comment

If you were to name one single band or artist that everyone should listen to, what would that be?

Can you elaborate on one experience in your life that you think others can learn from as well?
                    My Soundclick

Comment

Originally posted by Tor View Post
                      If you were to name one single band or artist that everyone should listen to, what would that be?
                      Probably Miles Davis. For learning the power of space and how to speak volumes just by placing one note in just the right place. Plus you get a nice variety of music if you listen to a bunch of his records.

Originally posted by Tor View Post
                      Can you elaborate on one experience in your life that you think others can learn from as well?
                      I had an experience where I was newly single in my mid 20s, and went to a party, where I drank some beer, smoked some pot, and then swallowed a vial of some unknown chemical in liquid form. Whatever was in that vial really knocked me sideways, and it took me a very long time to recover from the effects of that evening. So, from that, I'd say be careful with drugs. Not 'don't use drugs', but be careful. Get yourself well educated on the consequences of drug use, and if you head down that path make sure you know what you're taking and what to expect. And make sure you have good, trustworthy friends nearby.

Comment

How old are you?

Where were you born, and where abouts in Auckland (or outside) did you grow up?

Kiwi question - what local non-guitar-playing musicians do you rate really highly?

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny R View Post
                          How old are you?

Where were you born, and where abouts in Auckland (or outside) did you grow up?
                          I was born and raised in Auckland. I grew up in Hillsborough, and have lived on the city fringe since my 20s.

Kiwi question - what local non-guitar-playing musicians do you rate really highly?
                          Godfrey DeGrut is a remarkably capable multi-instrumentalist and a first class pervert.

The Haines family is impressive across the board. Nathan knocked me out when he first did the d'n'b jazz thing in the mid 90s. that was a real breath of fresh air after so much (fl)acid jazz.

Chip from The Krates is an amazing bass player. As is the bloke who was in Trinity Roots. And Julien Dyne is a sick drummer.

Barnaby Weir has a great voice. Tyra Hammond just slays me, and Ladi6 has so much soul.

My friend Steph Brown is studying in New Yoik at the moment, but she'd have to be my favorite keyboardist.

Isaac Aeseli (sp?) is a great trumpeter. The trombonist from Fat Freddy's is brilliant, too.

Ben from the Shades and One Million Dollars is a killer percussionist. He's gigged with my band and he really moves the groove along .

Paul and Pubba, the rhythm section from Odessa are just insane. And Paul can drink more than any human on earth and still play his arse off.

Even though he's a guitar player as much as his anything else, my friend Ryan Thomas (ex Sommerset) is a fantastic musician with a real 'big picture' sensibility. I'd also put Jimmy Xmas in that camp. I've worked with both of them over the last couple of years and it's been an amazing experience.

Joel From Gasoline Cowboy and Jeremy Toi are another couple of guitar players that transcend the guitar and make great things happen across the board.

And the Dobber too. He's a very special musician.

The singer from The Dukes is great, as is the whole band.

The drummer for SJD and Don McGlashan is amazing. Can't remember his name, Chris, maybe?

I have a lot of time for Don McGlashan too.

I'm sure I'm missing loads out...
                          Last edited by Hot _Grits; 03-02-2008, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot _Grits View Post
                            Godfrey DeGrut is a remarkably capable multi-instrumentalist and a first class pervert.

The Haines family is impressive across the board. Nathan knocked me out when he first did the d'n'b jazz thing in the mid 90s. that was a real breath of fresh air after so much (fl)acid jazz.

Chip from The Krates is an amazing bass player. As is the bloke who was in Trinity Roots. And Julien Dyne is a sick drummer.

Barnaby Weir has a great voice. Tyra Hammond just slays me, and Ladi6 has so much soul.

My friend Steph Brown is studying in New Yoik at the moment, but she'd have to be my favorite keyboardist.

Paul and Pubba, the rhythm section from Odessa are just insane. And Paul can drink more than any human on earth and still play his arse off.

Even though he's a guitar player as much as his anything else, my friend Ryan Thomas (ex Sommerset) is a fantastic musician with a real 'big picture' sensibility. I'd also put Jimmy Xmas in that camp. I've worked with both of them over the last couple of years and it's been an amazing experience.

Joel From Gasoline Cowboy and Jeremy Toi are another couple of guitar players that transcend the guitar and make great things happen across the board.

And the Dobber too. He's a very special musician.

I'm sure I'm missing loads out...
                            Cool, thanks. Very informative. Having been away a while now I'm not sure how many of those guys I've caught live. Gonna have to save the list to check out when I eventually get back there...

Godfrey and I were in the same year while doing Bachelors of Music at Auckland. Knew he was a great multi-instrumentalist, but didn't realize the other part Unfortunately I was too much of a slacker back in those days, not really as interested in the degree as I should have been - though I did become a reasonably proficient pool player instead.

Comment

So how come down under has so much love for the Detroit sound? I mean everyone should it but was there a band that really made the mark down there in a big way?

MC5, Stooges, Ramrods?
                              My Bands -
                              https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                              www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                              www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                              GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

who's your favorite spice girl?
                                Originally posted by Gearjoneser
                                Put the two together, and make it Kambone.

Comment

Working...
                                X