banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Well XVIX: Hot Grits says it's too drunk to be this early...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Well XVIX: Hot Grits says it's too drunk to be this early...

[QUOTE=Rich_T;1713284]Manchester United suck.

Just thought I would throw that one out there.

Originally posted by Rich_T View Post
    That said, if Liverpool and Cheltenham Town were ever to meet... you'd be going down!
    Stranger things have happened, ie: Barnsley in the FA cup.

Favourite alcoholic beverage?
    I'm a tequila drinker, if given the preference (and the tequila quilty is decent. Not of fan of syrupy, cheap tequila).

Spring, summer, autumn or winter?
    Summer, because it doesn't take me half a day to warm up my hands to the point where I can play guitar.

Day or night?
    No real preference, but I'm a bit of a night owl.

Cats or Dogs?
    I like both, but I own a cat. Or does he own me?
    Originally posted by Jolly
    ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot _Grits View Post
      Plus Sly gets points for having a pitbull that killed and then screwed his pet monkey. Now THAT'S rock'n'roll.
      I don't believe I've ever heard that story!

Would you share with the rest of the class?
      J. 'Moose' Kahrs
      mixer|producer|recordist
      mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
      All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...

Comment

Originally posted by TheProphet View Post
        All right ... time for more musical showdown.

1.) Gladys Knight and the Pips vs. Martha Reeves and the Vandellas

2.) Gladys Knight vs. Aretha Franklin

3.) Otis Redding vs. Marvin Gaye

4.) Stevie Wonder vs. Jackson 5

5.) The Temptations vs. The Drifters

6.) Family Stone vs. Earth, Wind and Fire

7.) Manowar vs. Europe (cheese factor)

1. Gladys
        2. Aretha
        3. Otis
        4. Stevie
        5. Temptations
        6. Family Stone
        7. leave em both in the store
        "Beware the fury of a patient man "
        " The future ain't what it used to be "

Matthew 12:36,37

Comment

Originally posted by Hot _Grits View Post
          New York would have to be one place.

I'd also visit Atlanta, Ga. My very good friend Damon lives there, and it'd be great to hang out with him on his patch. We see each other every other year on average, and there's always a fantastic piss-up as part of the process.

The third, I'm not sure about. It'd be cool to go to Austin, Texas and play SXSW. I'd also love to do some serious amp trying, and I'm thinking Gearjoneser country would be ideal for that. Plus I could go visit the 65 amps dudes.

But one by-product of being on this forum is that I'd love to see much more of the states than just those places...

For places to visit in NZ (excluding ones previously mentioned):

The Remarkables, Queenstown:

Abel Tasman Nat'l park:

Milford sound (haven't been there yet myself):

wow man...those pics are absolutely breathtaking!!!
          Originally posted by jeremy
          God hates bad guitar tone
          GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
          AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
          EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
          Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

Originally posted by J Moose View Post
            I don't believe I've ever heard that story!

Would you share with the rest of the class?
            I read about it in mojo magazine. For 'there's a riot going on', Sly moved to LA, and rented one of the Mamas and the Papas' mansions, complete with built in studio. he then proceeded to move in a menagerie of animals, including his inbred pitbull and monkee (can't remember type). One of his favorite tricks was to invite people over and let the pitbull loose in the lounge, just to watch people scatter. Eventually, pitbull killed monkee and then had romantic times with the corpse.

Sly was also in the habit of inviting girls to 'sing on the record'. he'd let them sing on a tune, screw them (fortunately not after killing them), then get another girl in, rinse, lather, repeat. By the time the record was done, the tape was nearly clear in certain spots.

By the end of the sessions the whole band was shot (edit: as in fatigued, not actually gunned down) from drug paranoia. Larry Graham was checking under the hood of his car for bombs...

haha, just realised I spelled monkey wrong, making it sound like Sly's pitbull killed and then screwed Peter Tork. I personally find that pretty funny, so I'll let the original spelling (as Sly would say) stand...
            Last edited by Hot _Grits; 03-06-2008, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Still taking questions?

If so, what type of strings and picks do you use? Do you stick with the Reverend's stock pickups? Low, medium, high action? Sorry, I'm in a techie mood
              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                Still taking questions?

If so, what type of strings and picks do you use? Do you stick with the Reverend's stock pickups? Low, medium, high action? Sorry, I'm in a techie mood
                Sure, just back from gigging.

I use D'addario 10-46 and 10-52. In about 20 years of using D'addario I've had one bad string. Sometimes I buy up Carvin branded 10-46 from a local importer, as they're decent and cheap (apparently they are rebranded GHS boomers/dunlops). But for preference, D'Addario.

For picks, I've recently switched to the black dunlop Jazz 3s. I used them years ago as a teenage speed picker, and forgot about them until I picked one up at a friend's place a couple of months ago. I play with pick and fingers, and the smaller pick means that I stlll have a pretty solid pick attack while not feeling like I have a huge amount of teardrop pick floating around my forefinger. That didn't used to bother me when i was chiefly a pick player, as the pick was held equally with both my first two fingers, but it's great now that I use my other fingers as well.

One downside is that I tend to chew up my picking finger a lot more due to a heavy impact. There may be blood after a fairly active gig.

My action is generally medium-low. Not super-duper low, as I tend to beat on my guitars, but low enough to get fiddly when I desire while still getting a clear note. For a while I played guitars that sounded great but were just too hard to play, and recently I've relaxed a bit towards playability. There will always be a trade-off but for a while there i was stuggling to play freely and it was a bit stupid, really.

For my Reverend I use the stock pickups. the model I have is the flatroc, with the alnico revtrons. The humbucker and p90 Reverends use ceramic pickups, and to me they are a bit brash in the attack and treble. So when I get around to expanding my rev collection, I'll be loading up with aftermarket pickups. I'd like a club king HB with P rails pickups...

Comment

so how long does the well last these days?
                  http://www.iainstone.com

Comment

Originally posted by subanots View Post
                    so how long does the well last these days?
                    -this long.

Thanks for your questions, everyone. It's been a blast. Now we head from the colonys to the mother country: take it away, Rich T...

Comment

Working...
                    X