banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Well XVIX: Hot Grits says it's too drunk to be this early...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Well XVIX: Hot Grits says it's too drunk to be this early...

hey Grits, have you ever heard of a 'Zealander ( Newzzie?) called "Langcaster" who is said to make some exquisite guitars?
    I know New Zealand is only three or four times bigger than a rugby field, so I thoguht you might know about him.
    Heres one of his guitars;

-- From a website article...."The guitar above is probably my all-time desirable dream guitar. It is an example of a Langcaster guitar made in New Zealand. Each guitar body is handmade from stunning 35,000 year old Kauri swamp roots. Each one is unique and no two are alike due to the unique characteristics of the wood. To me, it's one of the prettiest woods for a guitar body I have ever seen.
    Last edited by jerryjg; 03-02-2008, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage View Post
      So how come down under has so much love for the Detroit sound? I mean everyone should it but was there a band that really made the mark down there in a big way?

MC5, Stooges, Ramrods?
      I dunno. I guess it's because it sounds real and honest. You can hear the 'human' aspect. In the case of the MC5, there's the black influence, too: they sounded like the world's loudest, most out of control soul band. Too cool. But I dunno if one band in particular was big down here or anything. I think it's more down to younger generations reading up and finding out about these bands. Just like I mentioned earlier about how there seems to always be a small bunch of kids that wanna shred, there always seems to be kids who end up buying Stooges records.

For me, rock'n'roll has to have some rough edges, some swagger. I can get into some heavily tweezed and produced music played by virtuosos, but I'll always prefer my rock'n'roll to sound like it's underpants are around it's ankles.
      Last edited by Hot _Grits; 03-02-2008, 04:57 PM.
      Originally posted by Jolly
      ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

Originally posted by newking70 View Post
        who's your favorite spice girl?
        Well, Sporty is a Liverpool supporter, but I'm going to have to go for Ginger. It's a combination of the boobies and her delightful tendency to make up words that don't exist in an attempt to sound smarter than she really is.

looking back, they all seem like such a bunch of mingers, though. Give me Girls Aloud any day...

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
        Last edited by Hot _Grits; 03-02-2008, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jerryjg View Post
          hey Grits, have you ever heard of a 'Zealander ( Newzzie?) called "Langcaster" who is said to make some exquisite guitars?
          I know New Zealand is only three or four times bigger than a rugby field, so I thoguht you might know about him.
          Heres one of his guitars;

-- From a website article...."The guitar above is probably my all-time desirable dream guitar. It is an example of a Langcaster guitar made in New Zealand. Each guitar body is handmade from stunning 35,000 year old Kauri swamp roots. Each one is unique and no two are alike due to the unique characteristics of the wood. To me, it's one of the prettiest woods for a guitar body I have ever seen.
          Ah, good old Joh Lang. He's a bit of a figure of fun amongst the local guitar retail/importer community.

I first played some of Joh Langcaster's guitars back at the last proper music trade show we had in Auckland a few years ago. The look isn't really me, but I'll try anything once.

He was rabbiting on about sustain the whole time I was in his booth. Sure enough, the guitars sustained well, due to the brutally heavy swamp Kauri bodies. Heavy kauri tends to get a similar thing going on to hard ash, where the upper mids can get painfully strident, so even though the sustain was good, I really didn't want to hear what his guitars were producing. He was also using a really thick poly finish to get a glossy look, and that had similar tonal results to your average late 70s fender.

I noticed at the time that his necks were obviously imported medium-grade replacements without much in the way of hand finishing, and the electronics were very mid-grade and of the active variety. Given that he was charging boutique prices for these guitars, I felt they fell way short of the mark of what I'd expect from a guitar in that price range. A bit of a shame, as the bodies really can look amazing and unique.

Since then, he's become a fixture on our local version of ebay, trademe. These days he's importing cheap chinese classic 30 knockoffs in head form, and pairing them with these crazy cabs that have a 12 and a 15 (according to him, 15s are good for metal!?!) and a built-on guitar stand. Oh, the humanity.

To be fair, he sells these monstrosities for a fairly low price, but his initial auctions were priced quite a bit higher and he made pains to sound as if the amps were designed and made by him, as opposed to ordered from a catalog with his logo cut onto the grille. Not cool.
          Last edited by Hot _Grits; 03-02-2008, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Interesting.... somebody asked me the "Who should everyone listen to question", and I think I answered Miles Davis, too. Must be coz he rules.

So anyway, what is it about a Reverend that really does it for you?

Is the first Hot Grits album available anywhere? An 11 piece Afro-Soul orchestra sounds like something I'd be into.

Have you ever heard of a band called The Negro Problem (the name is tongue-in-cheek, if not)?

What's your feeling on snakes? I've become quite the ball python fan as of late.
            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
              Interesting.... somebody asked me the "Who should everyone listen to question", and I think I answered Miles Davis, too. Must be coz he rules.
              That he does.

So anyway, what is it about a Reverend that really does it for you?
              I've always liked the look of them, the overall design, and the pickup options. The US ones were never available down here, so all I have to go on is the new import line, and I've played pretty much all of them, as I'm friends with the importer.

I love the bolt-ons. I'm not a huge fan of his choice of ceramic pickups, so the model I chose was the alnico revtron equipped Flatroc. It's like a cool halfway point between a tele and a gretsch.

Here's mine:

But across the board, I like every bolt on Rev I've tried. The necks are great, and they feel and sound much nicer than their price point would suggest. If I lived in the states, I'd be harvesting as many s/h ones as I could off ebay.

The new set necks leave me a bit cold, though. Especially as you can get a secondhand SG or LP jr/special for similar prices as a new set-neck reverend. Whereas the bolt ons seem to transcend their price, the set-necks just look and sound 'epiphone' to me. The exception to this is the volcano, which sounds great.

Another really cool thing about the Revs is the bass contour control. It's a bass roll-off pot that works really well for getting a single coil tone from a humbucker. Makes for a very versatile guitar, and I love how you can dial in just a touch.

Is the first Hot Grits album available anywhere? An 11 piece Afro-Soul orchestra sounds like something I'd be into.
              unfortunately we're sold out of our last print run. We will be doing a reprint soon, though. We'll be selling through our new label's site, as well as through Itunes and possibly some other channels. I'll drop you a line when the new record and the reprint are done.

Meantime, our Myspace has partial tunes up right now:

The Hot Grits's profile including the latest music, albums, songs, music videos and more updates.

The defendants have some demos up on our myspace, too:

The Defendants's profile including the latest music, albums, songs, music videos and more updates.

-quality of recording and performance varies greatly, but of the tunes, 'do what I do' is the best on there. Solo on there is by the bass player, Sam, who is a sick guitar player. looking forward to replacing the demos with the newly recorded stuff.

Have you ever heard of a band called The Negro Problem (the name is tongue-in-cheek, if not)?
              Nope. Just myspaced them, and they are awesome! thank heaps for the heads up.

one of my fave new soul/funk bands is out of LA; Breakestra:

BREAKESTRA's profile including the latest music, albums, songs, music videos and more updates.

What's your feeling on snakes? I've become quite the ball python fan as of late.
              New Zealand is snake free, and I'm not sure you're allowed them unless you're a zoo. Closest I've come to a snake was a reptile park in Queensland, Australia. I really dug it, though, and would love to hold a real one one day. I also like snakeskin as a guitar finish and clothing/footwear option. You can take the kid out of the 80s, but...

Comment

Cool Well!!!
                So tell me please ,if you really need to be a very "brewtaaaal" metal band today ,wich Guitar ,amp ,pedals/racks would you choose and why?

What is the strongest Chord for your ears..

Wich note is the most "sad" feeling for you?

What do you think about exotic bendings..Do you use them ,or stick with classic "bluesy" bendings/double stops?

Do you care for cables etc?Or you just get one off the shelf and just rock with it?

What is the most disturbing thing in Kiwi culture?

Did you ever visit the south/west of NZ?

Did you watch the Billy Conelly Documentary/comedy thingy?

How many questions could i ask in a minute?

And how many answers you can give?
                www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque

Comment

Originally posted by daemon barbeque View Post
                  Cool Well!!!
                  So tell me please ,if you really need to be a very "brewtaaaal" metal band today ,wich Guitar ,amp ,pedals/racks would you choose and why?
                  Ooh, I have very different tastes for my heavy tones than most. I run a Victoria Double Deluxe and a Mesa Blue Angel in stereo, and aim for a more 70s sound. There's enough SAG to make Rivera123 have a nervous breakdown, hehe...

But if I was to do the standard modern metal thing, I'd probably go for a Les Paul Custom (with maple cap and low output pickups) into a Diezel Einstein or Herbert with a Matamp G12H30 quad. A friend of mine owns an uber and that is one paintstripper of an amp, but not for me...

What is the strongest Chord for your ears..
                  A7sus4, barred in the fifth position. That's my EL84 amp testing chord.

Wich note is the most "sad" feeling for you?
                  The last one I play before I have to put the guitar down and do some work.

What do you think about exotic bendings..Do you use them ,or stick with classic "bluesy" bendings/double stops?
                  Like microtonal stuff? -I've done some small-time soundtrack stuff for short films where I did the Eric Johnson Koto impersonation. That was fun. I'm intrigued by fretless guitars, too.

Do you care for cables etc?Or you just get one off the shelf and just rock with it?
                  My main cable is an ancient Pro Co 20 footer, and it's been through hell and back. I also own some George L's and Planet waves stuff, so I have tried to buy decent cables when I need them. I'll no doubt be upgrading to a set of Freedom cables, built (probably by myself) at Custom Audio Boutique, my friend's amp/tube/cable business. Better bottom end than George L's.

What is the most disturbing thing in Kiwi culture?
                  Hmmm...

-The high teen suicide rate. It's always a great shame to lose 'em young.

-The fact that you don't have to dig too far to find an undercurrent of racism, especially out of Auckland. We have an image of being an inclusive, multicultural society, and we're certainly light years ahead of Australia, but if you scratch the surface...

-our terrible national anthem. Basically it emplores God to protect us from everything and anything. Personally, I've always thought such sentiments would be more practically employed toward the US pacific fleet...

I wouldn't mind if we had a silly anthem, like Brazil, or a turgid death march, like Turkey. But our national anthem is so terribly bland and middling.

Did you ever visit the south/west of NZ?
                  Not yet. Touring that way is uneconomic, so I've stuck to the east coast of the south island. I really want to visit fjordland one day, though.

Did you watch the Billy Conelly Documentary/comedy thingy?
                  Saw bits of it. Looked real good. I've got a lot of time for Billy. He can play a mean autoharp

How many questions could i ask in a minute?
                  how fast can you type?

And how many answers you can give?
                  I tend to waffle, so not many.

Comment

Hahahah..
                    Man i love your answers...
                    You get a biiig + as you mentioned the Herbert...The Right answer was VH4 tho

I really love to visit or maybe live in NZ ,and the Fjordland is really interesting..I would travel to NZ just for shooting some Photos..So nice...And Billy Conellys DVD made me want it soo bad...

I have some KIWI friends and i like them alot...But i hear about the Racism as i was in France...But i never ever met a Racist Kiwi...

Turkey's National anthem is one of the worst...It has really "close" moments to Star Wars "finale"...But it's impossible to sing hahah...

And yeah ,would you mind to have a Vigier Fretless?
                    www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque

Comment

Hahahah..
                      Man i love your answers...
                      thanks!

You get a biiig + as you mentioned the Herbert...The Right answer was VH4 tho
                      I'm going off clips for the Herbert. Only Diezels I've tried were an Einstein and an early VH4 prototype built into a 70s Marshall head. My overall impression was 'good for a channel switcher'. I'd like to hear the Ecstasy, too.

I really love to visit or maybe live in NZ ,and the Fjordland is really interesting..I would travel to NZ just for shooting some Photos..So nice...And Billy Conellys DVD made me want it soo bad...
                      Yeah, it's a pretty little country.

I have some KIWI friends and i like them alot...But i hear about the Racism as i was in France...But i never ever met a Racist Kiwi...
                      Maybe it's because the ones who travel are more open-minded. Don't get me wrong, we're far from being a country of rednecks, but there are undercurrents if you know where to look (Christchurch is a good starting point).

Turkey's National anthem is one of the worst...It has really "close" moments to Star Wars "finale"...But it's impossible to sing hahah...
                      I chose those two after hearing them at a world cup game. Such fantastically stupid anthems, and so different. compared, my anthem seems a bit limp.

And yeah ,would you mind to have a Vigier Fretless?
                      I'd love to try one. Vigiers aren't maybe my ideal look in a guitar, but I'll try anything once, and I'm sure they're great axes.

Comment

Ive asked more questions on any other well. This will be my third, but i notice you played with, or on thesame bill as 1) Tina Arena.
                        Thats pretty amazing.. Its sad that someone who I've heard has such talent is virtually unnoitced hear in the U.S.Ive heard her voice is amazing and the music is great.
                        Ive never even heard her music. Would you please reccoemend a good CD and I will go to Ebay and pick one up tonight.
                        2)Also, theres another Australian band that has played the US. They are really anti Bush. They got in kind of trouble for it somehow once, I cant remmember the details. They are a big big Australian band, But i cannot racall their name. Maybe you know who Im talkin about?
                        3) Ever been much to the south and Brisbane?
                        I dont think people here in the US realize what a massive city that is. Isnt it liek 3-4 million people?
                        I know its spread out.
                        4) do you have any Aboriganny friends?
                        I think this is exciting to me cause its the first Well(is it?) that has a international flavour. I'd like to see the well move around the world a bit.Hopefully to Britian eventually.
                        5)Have you ever been attacked by a great white Shark while swimming in a beach off the great barrier reef? Im pretty sure most Australians have.
                        6) what the **** is a Cuccabura?? I know its some kind of parrot?
                        Last edited by jerryjg; 03-02-2008, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot _Grits View Post
                          At this point, the only grits I've eaten are of the microwave variety. It sort of reminded me of porridge crossed with sandpaper. I'm sure the real thing is a lot better.
                          An accurate description! I've never had microwave grits but I've tried the "real-deal" a few times while traveling through the southern states. An acquired taste... at least for this Yankee!

Saw you mention the Breakstra... I grabbed one of their discs on a whim years ago based entirely on the cover art. The one with the Ampex '456' logo & 45 spindle... Great disc.

What got you into the soul/funk/afrobeat thing?
                          J. 'Moose' Kahrs
                          mixer|producer|recordist
                          mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
                          All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...

Comment

Originally posted by jerryjg View Post
                            Ive asked more questions on any other well. This will be my third, but i notice you played with, or on thesame bill as 1) Tina Arena.
                            Thats pretty amazing.. Its sad that someone who I've heard has such talent is virtually unnoitced hear in the U.S.
                            Ive never even heard her music. Would you please reccoemend a good CD and I will go to Ebay and pick one up tonight.
                            2)Also, theres another Austraian band that band that has played the US. They are really anti Bush. They got in kind of trouble fr it somehow, I cant remmeber the deatils. They are a big big Australian band, But i cannot racll their name. Maybe you know who Im talkin about?
                            3) ever been much to the south and Brisbane?
                            I dont think people here in the US realize what a massive city that is. Isnt it liek 3-4 million people?
                            I know its spread out.
                            4) do you have any Aboriganny friends?
                            I think this is exciting to me cause its the first Well(is it?) that has a international flavour. I'd like to see the well move around the world a bit.Hopefully to Britian eventually.
                            hahahahahaha! I believe you're looking for wahwah!

but what the hell...

1. I'm not sure I can recommend a Tina Arena CD in good conscience. I'd probably do the gig, though.

2. Dunno who that could be. Silverchair? -without getting bogged down in politics, it's fair to say that most NZ or Australian bands would share a broadly anti-Bush administration sentiment.

3. I've been to Brisbane. Not really my idea of a cool city. Try Melbourne, that's a cool city, and wahwah lives there...

4. I don't think I've met a native Australian. Plenty of Maori and Pacific Islanders, though.

maybe I should pick a pom for the next go...

5. so far so good on the shark front. They are out there, though. Dah dum, Dah dum, Dah dum, DahdumDahdumDahdumDahdum...

6. A Kookaburra? -I guess it's like a parrot. It makes a sound not unlike the Australian accent.

Personally, I prefer this cheeky little guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRW4ztbY8Ok -The New Zealand native Kea.

...wait a second, is that my rubbish bin?
                            Last edited by Hot _Grits; 03-02-2008, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot _Grits View Post
                              hahahahahaha! I believe you're looking for wahwah!

but what the hell...

1. I'm not sure I can recommend a Tina Arena CD in good conscience. I'd probably do the gig, though.

2. Dunno who that could be. Silverchair? -without getting bogged down in politics, it's fair to say that most NZ or Australian bands would share a broadly anti-Bush administration sentiment.

3. I've been to Brisbane. Not really my idea of a cool city. Try Melbourne, that's a cool city, and wahwah lives there...

4. I don't think I've met a native Australian. Plenty of Maori and Pacific Islanders, though.

maybe I should pick a pom for the next go...
                              Oh ,man Im sorry. Yeeah thats wah -wah. I get all those places down under mixed up . sorry!
                              OKay. well, thanks for the Kiwis!
                              what do you all do with all those KIWis?
                              Do yo make Kiwi margaritas. Kiwi pies, ever seen a Kiwi?
                              actuallyy Kiwis are prety cheap here. I need to eat more of em!
                              wait, a kiwi is a bird right, or is it a fruit? Man. Im really sorry about this.
                              Last edited by jerryjg; 03-02-2008, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by J Moose View Post
                                An accurate description! I've never had microwave grits but I've tried the "real-deal" a few times while traveling through the southern states. An acquired taste... at least for this Yankee!

Saw you mention the Breakstra... I grabbed one of their discs on a whim years ago based entirely on the cover art. The one with the Ampex '456' logo & 45 spindle... Great disc.

What got you into the soul/funk/afrobeat thing?
                                well, I've always like music that grooved.

When I was a kid, the local rock station played Stevie Wonder, and I always used to go mental when I heard his stuff. Up until Michael Jackson exploded, soul/funk/r&b music wasn't very commonly heard down here apart from the occasional Motown tune. But I loved what I heard.

Then, in the 90s, I was hanging out at grunge/industrial bars and gigs, and a couple of the places I went to would occasionally play 'sex machine' by James Brown, or a Sly Stone tune, maybe 'Superstition'. I'd always really get into those tunes, so I started buying cds in that style and expanding my listening.

then, in the late 90s, I was asked by an old drummer colleague to play a birthday gig at a bar downtown. I hadn't played out in years, but after much goading by my girlfriend I consented. The setlist was your typical horrible melange of rock covers, so I suggested we do 'sex machine'.

So we play the gig, and the crowd stands and stares, clapping politely. Until we finish with 'sex machine'. All of a sudden, the whole crowd went bezerk and started dancing. We ended up playing it three times.

From then on, I got back into the idea of playing out, and forming a band that would play funk and soul. that eventually led to The Hot Grits, and a sizeable collection of soul, funk, r&B and afrobeat albums.

Comment

Working...
                                X