X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Hardline According To... The Golden Boy- The Well Part XXII

Originally posted by Jonny R View Post
    Maybe you already covered this with the parachuting story, but what was your scariest experience in the army?

What was your role in the Desert S's?
    Like Tom Petty once said, "the waiting is the hardest part."

The night before the ground war started, I was terrified, positive I was going to be dead in the next 12 hours. I knew I used up all my luck in Panama.

Our role in Desert Storm was to follow a French light armored division- the French were going to clear out the tanks, and we were supposed to take care of the trenches. Keep in mind, at that time, Iraq had the 4th largest tank army in the world- they had combat tested troops, they had 6 months to prepare fighting positions- they were dug in well, they were equipped by the Soviets, they had T-72s... We were a light airborne infantry unit in the back of 5 ton trucks. It was not going to be a milk run.

In actuality, I didn't take any of the bombing into consideration. A lot of those guys hadn't eaten in days. They were cut off, out in the middle of nowhere, looking for someone to surrender to. Although a few groups put up a little fight, most of Desert Storm, for me, was a really bumpy ride in the back of a 5 ton truck, being really cold and dirty.
    *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
    Originally posted by Slash2987
    Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
    Originally posted by PVFan
    I'm a good sex man.
    Originally posted by Grumpy
    I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

You can ask Paul McCartney any three questions, and he will answer them as completely and honestly as possible. What questions do you ask?

- Keith
      Originally posted by ImmortalSix
      I am just jug the merlot

Comment

i've said it before and i'll say it again ... if my sons grow up to be like TGB, i will have done a good job

to that end, what general approaches to parenting have you found most useful and least useful
        gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Originally posted by tone4days View Post
          i've said it before and i'll say it again ... if my sons grow up to be like TGB, i will have done a good job
          If my sons grow up to be like TGB, they better start now stashing away money for liquor and long-distance phone calls.

(Just playin', Dave. )
          I am just jug the merlot

Comment

Originally posted by thucydides View Post
            Susanne Vega or the Lemonheads on your opening post?
            It would be much cooler to say The Lemonheads, but it was Suzanne Vega I was thinking of. But Suzanne Vega sang "In A Lonely Place" with the Smithereens, so that's OK.
            Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
            I'm a good sex man.

Comment

Originally posted by The Golden Boy View Post
              It would be much cooler to say The Lemonheads, but it was Suzanne Vega I was thinking of. But Suzanne Vega sang "In A Lonely Place" with the Smithereens, so that's OK.
              Do you think Suzanne Vega's last name is really Vegafria?
              I am just jug the merlot

Comment

Originally posted by Jake View Post
                You should post the picture of you chilling out in Manuel Noriega's office.
                Ask and ye shall recieve!

I'm a good sex man.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenVulture View Post
                  Is that a Rickenbacker Stereo i see in this pic?
                  Yeah, it was a 70s 4001. The dude I bought it from (and I mean "Dude" like The Dude) told me it was a 72 or 74 or something, but I think it was later. I really wanted to love that bass- it just never really worked for me. At all.

Who's your favorite Golden Vulture?
                  You're my favorite Golden Vulture, you cheeky monkey!

Can i get you to change your name so there isn't "Golden" confusion?
                  Some times.
                  I can't help but feeling that I'm
                  Livin' a life of confusion...

Sorry... Not a chance.
                  Do you have any of these "Gits " still?

Still have the EB-0. That was my first bass, and I'm really re-discovering what it does.
                  I'm a good sex man.

Comment

Originally posted by Gamera View Post
                    Melody Top sounds familiar but the others don't ring any bells.

Most of those places I mentioned were located around 27th & Morgan where the old Southgate mall was.

I met a copy machine repair man named Ralph Hanzel Jr once at a print shop I worked at in the early 90's. I recognized his nametag and he proceeded to tell me the story of how he was cheated out of the RH empire by a family drama that involved cheating parents and greedy uncles.

DeMarini's used to be the best pizza, since moving to the suburbs it's a toss up between Armeli's in New Berlin or Ann's Pizza in Hales Corners. Mama Mia's & Capri still have the best garlic bread though.
                    I vaguely remember Melody Top- it looked like a big circus tent. I was watching Match Game, and Joane Worley was talking about performing at Melody Top...

I think Leaning Tower Of Pizza was over by Capitol Court. It was a big leaning tower of Pisa, but it was hollow inside.

I'll have to tell my wife about Treasure Island, she remembered it being on Hwy 100.

Speaking of meeting the sons of local music store owners... I met Bob Kames Jr., who's dad ran/runs Bob Kames Music- a big organ place. Bob Sr. recorded the really famous version of The Chicken Dance song.

DiMarini's moved? Out of Bay View? Shows how long it's been since I've been there.
                    I'm a good sex man.

Comment

Some times.
                      I can't help but feeling that I'm
                      Livin' a life of confusion...

Sorry... Not a chance.
                      Quote:
                      Do you have any of these "Gits " still?

Still have the EB-0. That was my first bass, and I'm really re-discovering what it does.
                      " Sorry... Not a chance."lol

" Still have the EB-0" Have you ever looked under that big silver pup cover?If so,what's under there?
                      sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
                      - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenVulture View Post
                        " Sorry... Not a chance."lol

" Still have the EB-0" Have you ever looked under that big silver pup cover?If so,what's under there?
                        Don't ask! It's gross!
                        -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

Don't ask! It's gross!
                          EErrrr!!!! I already have!
                          sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
                          - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

Originally posted by The Golden Boy View Post
                            I'll have to tell my wife about Treasure Island, she remembered it being on Hwy 100.

... I met Bob Kames Jr., who's dad ran/runs Bob Kames Music- a big organ place
                            DiMarini's moved? Out of Bay View?
                            Actually there were a few TI's. I think one was on HWY 100 also. They had that signature roof design that lasted on the buildings years after they shut down.

I took guitar lessons from a friend at Bob Kames music. At least I think it that's what it was called. They were in a building on Forest Home near FreeStyle Graphics where I used to work. I don't think Kames is there still.

No, DiMarini's didn't move from Bay View. I moved to the 'burbs. I discovered there were at least 3 DiMarini's restaurants though, all split from a single one thanks to other family dramas I heard. The Bay View location still has awesome 'za.

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Horse View Post
                              Name three bands that you'd erase from the history of rock.
                              Whoa...

I don't know if can think of 3.

Here's the deal, I can dislike and talk smack about all kinds of bands, but not that I'd want them "taken out," so to speak. (either taken as a mafia hit, or just never existing in the first place) Since the question was asked, and I feel compelled to answer- I'm going to say Creed. Creed, to me, is what "rock" would be if you sucked the life, spontinaetiy and vibrance out of rock. Like beer without the taste and the alcohol. It leaves me feeling empty, but I should still like it because it's "beer." Creed spawned so many other bands, most prominently Nickelback, that have that soul-less, over Pro-Tooled, Rhythm Doctored, Auto Tuned "rock" sound and STRIVE to sound like that... My theory as to why the state of live music is where it is... The kids that are hitting college and drinking age now are the ones who grew up with this. If Creed was my definition of "rock," I sure wouldn't go out for more of it.

That's it for the hatin'
                              The ultimate dream team: (Singer/Bass/2*Guitar/Drums, and maybe keyboards)
                              Singer: Eric Carmen
                              Bass: James Jamerson
                              Guitar: Steve Jones
                              Guitar: Leslie West
                              Keys: Denis DeYoung.

That lineup would ****in' dominate.

What's the best guitar solo ?
                              I love Page's solo from "Achilles' Last Stand." It's like a story in and of itself.
                              I'm a good sex man.

Comment

Originally posted by sosomething View Post
                                Saved by a technicality.

GREAT story. That had to be terrifying. Did you fall upon him like terrible thunder after it was clear you were both safe, for being stupid and endangering both your lives?
                                As soon as I landed I had that harness off and was in that kid's face. He caught hell for it for a long time- and nobody wanted to jump near him. I think we made him wear the cherry tape on his next few jumps as well...

Of course, I caught all hell for it as well- as I would have given anyone else it happened to. Heck, I even gave my buddy who shattered his spine a huge load of ****. To be fair, I didn't know he'd shattered his hips and several vertebrae- I just knew he was in pain and needed to catch ****.

The only potential accident that I didn't give the guy **** about was when a guy had a cigarette roll. It's where the parachute twists all the way up so it can't inflate. At 7-800 feet, you've only got a couple of seconds to make a determination as to what's happening. At night, it makes it more difficult.
                                Last edited by The Golden Boy; 04-01-2008, 12:58 PM. Reason: Added quote tags
                                I'm a good sex man.

Comment

Working...
                                X