This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The REAL List: SDUGF's Favorite Guitarists

Great thread, and the fact that it our individual choices based on factors such as inspiration, emotion, sound and feel ... not the "best", makes it really cool for me. Here is my list and why:

1. Angus Young - Ok not that technical... I know I know, but I just love the raw tone and energy, have you tried running around whilst playing?? HE is why I picked up the guitar.. the first songs I ever learned were early AC/DC and I still enjoy playing them.
    2. Dave Meniketti (Y&T) - IMO he has it all, great vocals, tone, humour and story telling and sh!t hot solo's.
    3. Luke Morley (Thunder) - Very cool player, great solo building... sort of reminds me of Page sometimes
    4. EVH - Just downright cool when he's on it... wish I'd have seen him live!
    5. Paul Kossof - Just great tone and feel.

Thanks Keith!

Comment

Originally posted by KGMESSIER View Post
      I'm glad (almost) everyone was cool with the fake list gag.
      Don't sweat it, I call everyone ******bag.

Seriously though, nice and thorough job. This shows quite a bit of effort on your part.

And thank you SDUGF for restoring my faith in you chumps.

Comment

Originally posted by Gamera View Post
        Don't sweat it, I call everyone ******bag.

Seriously though, nice and thorough job. This shows quite a bit of effort on your part.

And thank you SDUGF for restoring my faith in you chumps.
        Ha! You betcha…err…******bag.

Glad you could be part of the poll. I agree, the real poll looks a lot better than the fake one.

- Keith
        Originally posted by ImmortalSix
        I am just jug the merlot

Comment

Check out this post from two days ago. This guy had zero inside information and NAILED IT!!!

- Keith
          Originally posted by ImmortalSix
          I am just jug the merlot

Comment

Originally posted by KGMESSIER View Post
            Check out this post from two days ago. This guy had zero inside information and NAILED IT!!!

- Keith
            That's absolutely crazy! He should get an award or something..

As for the list, I'm surprised that both Mike Stern and Michael Landau didn't make it higher up..
            My Soundclick

Comment

3 of my 5 made it. Can't believe not a single other person put Mr. Chester Burton Atkins anywhere on their list.

And I'm pleasantly surprised that two other people had Setzer on their list, one of them having him at #1 and the other having him at #2. That's pretty cool!

Thanks for doing it Keith - very cool.

Comment

Great work, KG!

-Gotta say that's pretty much what I expected the list to look like, having discussed guitarists with you lot over the last 5 years. Very classic rock/metal/shred-centric, with a dash of blues. And not a single player I can't find something to like about.

Some of the results are interesting, though.

I would have expected Joe Perry to place higher. I'm also surprised to see Paul Gilbert so high up the list, though to be fair he is probably one of the more prolific clinician shredders out there, in terms of recordings, instructional material and clinic/demo appearances.

Interesting to see Pat Metheney is the only true Jazz guitarist on the list. I guess Al DiMeola could be considered one, but he crosses into the shred field.

And BB King was the only King on the list, and no Albert Collins. Buddy guy did make it, though. I guess that's partly because BB and Buddy are alive and gigging, and both had hit records in the 80s/90s...
                Last edited by Hot _Grits; 04-01-2008, 04:10 PM.
                Originally posted by Jolly
                ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

A further observation: you have to get to number 9 before you get to a known Seymour duncan user.

Comment

Also goes to show the power of youtube.

Mike Campbell sells millions of records and plays on countless readio hits and huge tours, and is ranked alongside....Guthrie Govan.

-now Guthrie is a hell of a player, but he has, I believe, one record out under his own name. I could be wrong, but I imagine a huge part of his 'following' is derived from dudes who have seen him on Youtube. Perhaps you could add some Brits who know him through his magazine work...

Comment

Originally posted by Hot _Grits View Post
                      Interesting to see Pat Metheney is the only true Jazz guitarist on the list.
                      I'm surprised he didn't get more love as well. I do firmly believe that if more people gave his records a shot, he'd be far further up this list.
                      My Soundclick

Comment

You people don't have any taste.

Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                        https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
                        Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Segovia Pwns all.
                          ..and Yngwwie at 56? Dind't you mean 5 AND 6 ?
                          Wheres John Lennon?

Comment

Unfortunately, I've been away, so I didn't get the vote PM before it was too late.

Good list anyway, by far the best of it's kind I've seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Tor View Post
                              I'm surprised he didn't get more love as well. I do firmly believe that if more people gave his records a shot, he'd be far further up this list.
                              I was suprised he was othat high on the list. I was maybe thinking that Joe Pass or Wes Montgomery might sneak in at the very bottom of the list.

But this ain't a strong forum for any genre outside rock/metal/blues.

Comment

great work bro!
                                Only 2 of my top 5 did it , and none of my top 3 did..
                                But i am not surprised...the first 10 was obvious!!!
                                www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque

Comment

Working...
                                X