• Show
Clear All

Re: The Well Part XXIII (take 2): I'll get something right someday

Blazin' Saddles? Seriously?

"This is my shootin' hand...."
    Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
    https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
    Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Mel had a good writing team on Saddles. IIRC, Richard Pryor and David Steinberg were in the room. The local NY TV station censored the name of Madeline Khan's character, Lily von Schtupp, the first time it was shown; there are a lot of German immigrants (and their decendants) who understand the meaning of that surname.
      sigpic
      "Add about a half-a-teacup o' bass...."
      --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook
      Originally posted by Lewguitar
      In our heart of hearts we're love. That's who we really are.

Comment

What is your favorite scene?
        Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
        https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
        Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

The campfire, of course!
          sigpic
          --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook

Comment

You will, of course, have the decency to not mention this to anyone...
            *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
            Originally posted by Slash2987
            Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
            Originally posted by PVFan
            I'm a good sex man.
            Originally posted by Grumpy
            I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

Ohh, it's twue, it's twue!
              sigpic
              --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook

Comment

Ever played any Upright?
                Do you like to play 5, or 6 String Bass?
                What gauge bass strings do you prefer?
                Why is one side of a flying V duck formation longer than the other?
                Ever get into those old Gibson Bases-Ripper, Grabber, EBO,Les Paul?
                Do you mind those basses they make nowadays Like Flying V basses and weird shaped bases?

Comment

Originally posted by ginormous View Post
                  The Isleys hit that just before Curtis Mayfield came out with Superfly. Add a pimp hat, and you're stylin' and profilin'.
                  Okay, always understood the "stylin" part...

What does it mean to be profilin?

Or for that matter, what does it mean for one to be so bad they are, in fact, nationwide?

Comment

great edition of the well, ginormous

i am not sure i caught where you moved from when you moved to kentucky ... can you give us one example of a routine / typical culture shock moment and one example of an extreme culture shock moment that you have experienced since you've been there

thanks
                    t4d
                    gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Originally posted by tone4days View Post
                      great edition of the well, ginormous

i am not sure i caught where you moved from when you moved to kentucky ... can you give us one example of a routine / typical culture shock moment and one example of an extreme culture shock moment that you have experienced since you've been there
                      OK, here are some examples of the gear-grinding culture shock between New York (Bronx/Westchester County) & Kentucky:

My wife came to be with me in Yonkers (Getty Square, the west side down by the Hudson... Mary J. Blige/DMX territory), before the move to Paducah. She'd never tasted a real, coal-fired, brick-oven pizza. She hadn't even heard of calzones. "How do you say that... 'cal-zonn-ess'?"
                      --------
                      In NYC, there were several newspapers, TV and radio stations, and retail stores relating to different world cultures and languages. At any given time, I could go to restaurants run or owned by expats from Carribean, European or Asian nations, and get a taste of the true cuisine. Here -- .
                      --------
                      I've never seen so much NASCAR in my life! Hats, t-shirts, coffee mugs, sleepwear, bedsheets & pillowcases, underwear (men's and women's)... I know Earnhardt Sr. was appreciated by many, but his #3 is etched into the rear window glass of almost every pickup truck.
                      --------
                      Thou Shalt Not Diss Elvis. Ever. Even "large Elvis" is respected here.
                      --------
                      Some may remember the scene in the movie Ruthless People, where Bette Midler shouts, "I've been kidnapped by K-Mart!" Well, she should have said Wal-Mart. Almost everything I eat, drink and wear... Shoestring budget? Great prices.

"Never mind the social impact. I'm naked, hungry and my car needs new tires!"
                      --------
                      Whatever time, day or night, I could pick up and go where I wanted, either by taxi, city bus, commuter train, or subway. Here, the buses stop running at 6 PM. The taxi service is owned by the bus company, and it stops picking up sometime after 1 AM. If you're not home from work, and you can't get a ride from a friend, you're SOL.
                      Last edited by ginormous; 04-10-2008, 03:48 PM.
                      sigpic
                      --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                        Okay, always understood the "stylin" part...

What does it mean to be profilin?

Or for that matter, what does it mean for one to be so bad they are, in fact, nationwide?
                        The first is to be an icon of style, that your profile is the one to watch for trends and new ideas... the second is a play on the "Most Wanted List", that everyone all over the country is so fascinated, nay, transfixed by your mere presence, that they are all looking to see where you might turn up next.

Much the same as the world is with you, kind sir.
                        sigpic
                        --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by jerryjg View Post
                          Ever played any Upright?
                          I'll need some serious woodshedding; never done any gigs with an acoustic. A guitarron is the closest I've come so far.
                          Do you like to play 5, or 6 String Bass?
                          I have a fretless '74 Precision 5. That was my main bass for years before I had it done over (filed frets, Wilkinson 5-string bridge and graphite nut by Giuliano Balestra, Giuliano's Custom Guitars, White Plains NY).
                          What gauge bass strings do you prefer?
                          I've tried a lot of different ones; flats, rounds and half-rounds, but I keep going back to D'addario XL. Mediums are the lightest I'll go. Consistent tone and feel from pack to pack. I've broken some G's and swapped out, and they all sound clean.
                          Why is one side of a flying V duck formation longer than the other?
                          Maybe they got picked off for "Chinese turkey".
                          Ever get into those old Gibson Bases-Ripper, Grabber, EBO,Les Paul?
                          I've played a friend's Ripper, and, um, like, check my public profile (click my screen name)... scope my avatar... Hi, I'm ginormous, nice ta meetcha.
                          Do you mind those basses they make nowadays Like Flying V basses and weird shaped bases?
                          Hey, whatever floats your boat... sound and feel are what I go by. How it feels in my hands, and how it makes me feel inside.
                          sigpic
                          --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook

Comment

Many thanks to all who have participated, and I've enjoyed it. Your next Well host is on as I'm typing this, and I'll see you around.

Siempre hay esperanza (Spanish: "There is always hope")!
                            sigpic
                            --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook

Comment

...man, I'm getting good at showing up late to the party

If you could have one other superpower what would it be (since ya already got huge feet)?

Who is your favorite character or one you really identify with? (from any source you want)

Comment

Working...
                              X