banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help Em With My Tone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Em With My Tone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THATS IT!!!!!

i cant stand the ****ty tone im getting from my recordings. no matter what i do, it's all just a crappyn sound. but i cant do a damnt hgin about it.

all i ahve is my guitars, amps, a pedal and this ****ty mic that i borrowed form a friend! if i could be able to record something direct, that'd be great. but i dont know how! woudl i be able to plug it into my mic jack of my computer?
    i just dont want a ****ty sound anymore, at least something thats halfway past decent

any btw, what's a soundcard?

HELP ME WITH MY TONE!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Help Em With My Tone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you put a fat-thin jack lead from the headphone socket into your mic socket on your pc! but be warned, it still wont be freat.
    easy thing would be 2 buy a new mic

Comment

Re: Help Em With My Tone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ANd if you havent a headphone socket on your amp then best thing to do is connect the pedals out into your line in on yout soundcard..The quality wont be great but it might be better.
      Marshall JVM 410C
      Mesa Boogie DC-3
      ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
      1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
      2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
      2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
      1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
      2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
      1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

Soundcard?

and also, what kind of mic!!!

i've heard a shure sm57 would eb good but wouldn't i have to hook that up to a 3 pin thing?

Comment

Originally posted by \m/(00)\m/
          Soundcard?

and also, what kind of mic!!!

i've heard a shure sm57 would eb good but wouldn't i have to hook that up to a 3 pin thing?
          get a sm57 if u can... you'll need the adaptor as mentioned by y2stevo....

soundcard... any ole soundblaster cheapie will get you by... although the better quality you get the better sound (eg. audigy?)

Comment

no,no, no..

i dont know whata soundcard is.

would the sm57 be able to just be plugged in int the 1/8th mic jack?

Comment

also, so i could use the the line in from my comp to my amp and then record there?

Comment

the sm57 will be a balanced XLR (that 3 pin thing) .. you'll need an adapter (or 2 or 3) to go from XLR to the tiny 1/8" mic input on the back of your computer .. and be careful to start with a low level so as not to blow out the computer's input

a sound card is inside your computer and basically handles all the audio functions ... it takes the digital signals made by your computer and turns them into analog signals that can come out the speakers .. it also converts the analog signals from a mic or line in and converts them to digital so you can make mp3s or wavs or whatever

some less expensive computers have a (low quality, but useable) sound card function built right onto the main computer circuit board so there is no separate sound card .. but most computers have a separate sound card that is dedicated to just sound

hope this helps .. good luck
                t4d
                Last edited by tone4days; 08-12-2004, 08:06 AM.
                gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Originally posted by \m/(00)\m/
                  also, so i could use the the line in from my comp to my amp and then record there?
                  yes, you could take a line out signal from your amp (pre amp out?) and connect it to the line in on your computer ... again, be careful of the levels so as not to blow out your computer line input ... i am pretty sure that you dont want to connect a headphone out from your amp to line in because it will sound crappy

good luck
                  t4d
                  gear list in profile

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

ok,, then would i be able to use tha clans and distortion on my amp into the computer? or would it just be the clean signal?

it wouldn't be hard to find all those adapters for the amp right?

Comment

right - your amp tone (minus speaker contributions) would go straight in ... distorted or clean, however you have it set

yeah, it's alot easier to find the adapters to go 1/4" out of the amp to 1/8" into the computer

good luck
                      t4d
                      gear list in profile

Comment

I can't emphasize this too strong . . . if you're going to record, you must get the one single piece of equipment thats purpose built for this function . . .

. . . a mixer.

Even a cheap $40 Behringer is better than futzying around with the wrong stuff.

Get a mixer!

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
                          I can't emphasize this too strong . . . if you're going to record, you must get the one single piece of equipment thats purpose built for this function . . .

. . . a mixer.

Even a cheap $40 Behringer is better than futzying around with the wrong stuff.

Get a mixer!
                          +1
                          gear list in profile

Comment

i dont have much money

even if i did have a mixer, i wouldnt' know what to hook up with it although ym dad would......

hm...

i'll check into that

Comment

they have kits with break out boxes and software for under $400 now. I really can't see getting a tone I'd be happy with by plugging into the soundcard.

Comment

Working...
                              X