Default Re: Devils of Belgrade Album is FINISHED

THANK

you

Tor!

-Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Zuhahahaologist daemon barbeque's Avatar

Lungstripper Lowdown is one of the best songs ever!!!!!
    Very cool small but extreme well made details!!!
    And hails to your drummer!!!I love itt Adam!!!

Ultimate Tone Slacker Johtosotku's Avatar

How did I miss this thread... This is excellent, excellent work, the best I've heard on this forum or any other that I can remember. I don't miss the vocals one bit and love the compositions. And guitar tones are nice as well. So when will your tour of Finland begin? I'd love to get my hands on that autographed vinyl...
    There are two kinds of people in this world that go around beardless—boys and women, and I am neither one

Seymour Duncan Customer Support sosomething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daemon barbeque View Post
    Lungstripper Lowdown is one of the best songs ever!!!!!
    Very cool small but extreme well made details!!!
    And hails to your drummer!!!I love itt Adam!!!
    Thanks man! I'm pretty happy that we decided to put that song up - I think it's my favorite song on the album. Definitely in the top 3 at least. I'm glad you like it.

The acoustic we used on this track was probably the best-sounding I've ever played.

Quote Originally Posted by Johtosotku View Post
    How did I miss this thread... This is excellent, excellent work, the best I've heard on this forum or any other that I can remember. I don't miss the vocals one bit and love the compositions. And guitar tones are nice as well. So when will your tour of Finland begin? I'd love to get my hands on that autographed vinyl...
    Again with the vinyl! Haha.. We looked into vinyl... without label support I think that medium is prohibitively expensive for us at this time. I would LOVE to do it though, just for the artwork real estate alone. I think our record would sound pretty good on wax, too.

I'd also love to go to Europe but I'm having trouble finding someone who's willing to pay for it . We DO ship our CDs internationally, though... just throwing that out there...

Kidding aside, thank you both for the support and kind words and encouragement. It really does feel great to get this kind of response from my peers.
    -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Zuhahahaologist daemon barbeque's Avatar

I have to thank you Adam for thinking ,createing ,practiceing ,recording ,paying and sweating for that piece of art!

And you have to Come to Europe tor record Dobermann Pinsch Harmonics anyways ,so you will have a place to sleep zuahahah

Sweet! My copy arrived on Saturday! Awesome work Adam. Lungstripper Lowdown still totally rocks, that was worth the $11 alone.
    "I believe the truth is not told between 9 and 5." - Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_T View Post
    Sweet! My copy arrived on Saturday! Awesome work Adam. Lungstripper Lowdown still totally rocks, that was worth the $11 alone.
    Wow, that took a long time! I'm really glad you like it, as you have excellent taste in music.
    -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Quote Originally Posted by sosomething View Post
    Wow, that took a long time! I'm really glad you like it, as you have excellent taste in music.
    with the combined idiocy of our respective countries' postal services I was pleasantly surprised that it arrived at all. I just cooked the meanest chicken Pad Thai ever whilst listening to it. Perfect stir fry music. If your stir fry is, y'know, going to battle a raging horde of flesh eating wolf-zombies.

with the combined idiocy of our respective countries' postal services I was pleasantly surprised that it arrived at all. I just cooked the meanest chicken Pad Thai ever whilst listening to it. Perfect stir fry music. If your stir fry is, y'know, going to battle a raging horde of flesh eating wolf-zombies.
    Do not be surprised if you see this quote used somewhere in our promotional material later.
    -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Mega Pony Rider Pink Unicorn Horsey's Avatar

Do not be surprised if you see this quote used somewhere in our promotional material later.
    Promotional material? Oh, cool! I'll give you more fodder:

It's easy for the uninitiated to see Tracks of the Cloven Hoof as a maelstrom of gut-smashing apocalypse death-hymns, but further listenings reveal much more. The music on this album weaves a tapestry of hope and love, a universal message of rainbowy beauty that touches us all. It's coming-of-age music sure to delight the tween in all of us. If Bette Midler were a side salad, the Devils of Belgrade would definitely be the main course.

Hmm. Not a bad first effort. You need to work on tightening up the ...

... I can't do it.

Oh man. Wow. Oh man. Wow. Adam. It's just ... oh man. Wow. You have made me love life and the Universe all over again. I don't think we can be friends anymore because you are clearly out of my league. Good God. I want to have babies with Lungstripper Lowdown. Evil babies.

Anyway, since you are obviously way way way too cool to converse with me, I completely understand if you don't reply to this post. I will now walk backwards away from the thread, bowing humbly as I go.

Quote Originally Posted by KGMESSIER View Post
    If Bette Midler were a side salad, the Devils of Belgrade would definitely be the main course.
    It's good, but its not that good.

neonderthalotonalogist Dr.Mavashi's Avatar

What's blowing me away is how we're getting good responses from genre-snobs and niche aficionados AND people more into other kinds of music as well, both young and (less young ). I never expected this stuff would have a very broad appeal at ALL.
    There is nothing suprising about this. You play real music. There is everything dynamics, structure, tone, continuity, technique - all for the sake of composition no gimmick and no genre "musts" pure music. Thank you, glad to see that there are musicians like that still around. I cant stop but think of what it would be with vocals, but its just me. One questions, are those V30s in your cab?
    My Singal:
    MIA Lone Star Strat(HS-Fullshred/Tex-Special(neck)) ->

BadHoarsie1 -> Ibanez FL9_RI -> Ibanez CS9_RI -> MXR CAE 401 ->

50 watt Laney AOR_ProTube 6 knobber (Vinnie Moore mod - V1 with second half engaged) | efxloop Rocktron Hush pedal/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Quote Originally Posted by KGMESSIER View Post
    It's easy for the uninitiated to see Tracks of the Cloven Hoof as a maelstrom of gut-smashing apocalypse death-hymns, but further listenings reveal much more. The music on this album weaves a tapestry of hope and love, a universal message of rainbowy beauty that touches us all. It's coming-of-age music sure to delight the tween in all of us. If Bette Midler were a side salad, the Devils of Belgrade would definitely be the main course.
    No matter how many nice things you say about my band, I will never eat Bette Midler's "side salad."

It's good, but its not that good.
    I'm saving all the best riffs for our grindcore jug band.

Quote Originally Posted by ratherdashing View Post

Oh man. Wow. Oh man. Wow. Adam. It's just ... oh man. Wow. You have made me love life and the Universe all over again. I don't think we can be friends anymore because you are clearly out of my league. Good God. I want to have babies with Lungstripper Lowdown. Evil babies.
    Lungstripper is a filthy, fertile little whore and you can have as many babies with her as you want as long as you're willing to pay the child support.

Seriously though?

Thanks man. I'm beaming like a dad who just had the coach tell him his son throws a tight spiral. Or, to translate that into Canadien, I feel like I sat on a Molson.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Mavashi View Post
    There is nothing suprising about this. You play real music. There is everything dynamics, structure, tone, continuity, technique - all for the sake of composition no gimmick and no genre "musts" pure music. Thank you, glad to see that there are musicians like that still around. I cant stop but think of what it would be with vocals, but its just me. One questions, are those V30s in your cab?
    Thanks!

The cab used on almost everything was my Splawn 4x12 with Eminence Governers and Man O Wars. All the tracks recorded with that cab are pretty much a 50/50 split between the speakers with a SM57 off-axis mic'd on one of each.

IIRC the Governer's are Eminence's attempt at emulating the V30. I don't remember what the Man O Wars are supposed to sound like.
    -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

neonderthalotonalogist Dr.Mavashi's Avatar

Wow .... Man O Wars is an attempt on GT1275s ....so basically you had what Bogner likes to put in a cab for Extacy, an X of V30 and GT1275s ..... wow ... you had great tracking, clarity, thick mids and very defined palm mutes, everything my all GT1275s JCM900 cab lacks .... Thank you. Great stuff Dude.
    My Singal:
    MIA Lone Star Strat(HS-Fullshred/Tex-Special(neck)) ->

BadHoarsie1 -> Ibanez FL9_RI -> Ibanez CS9_RI -> MXR CAE 401 ->

50 watt Laney AOR_ProTube 6 knobber (Vinnie Moore mod - V1 with second half engaged) | efxloop Rocktron Hush pedal/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Mavashi View Post
    Wow .... Man O Wars is an attempt on GT1275s ....so basically you had what Bogner likes to put in a cab for Extacy, an X of V30 and GT1275s ..... wow ... you had great tracking, clarity, thick mids and very defined palm mutes, everything my all GT1275s JCM900 cab lacks .... Thank you. Great stuff Dude.
    Thanks dude - we did run a bunch of tests before settling on using the Splawn 4x12 for all the main rhythm tracks. It sounded so good to us that we ended up using it on almost everything, even though we had access to a bunch of different nice cabs in the studio (basement).

When we were recording some test tracks with the various amps and cabs, we noticed something interesting. With the Marshall 1960A cab and the 2x12 with V30s, the recorded waveform got bigger when we played palm mutes and narrowed out when we played unmuted chords and narrowed out some more when we played single notes. The difference was really drastic, like 3 to 5.5 db difference between a muted chord and a single note.

The Splawn cab showed NO difference between muted chords and unmuted chords. They were all as loud as the just-palm-mutes from the Marshall cab. Single notes only dropped down maybe 1 - 1.5 db in volume. These were with the exact same amp, mic pre, etc. settings. The only difference was the cab.
    -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

My 1960a is exactly the same, and that's with greenbacks. Palm mutes will clip on input, and single notes won't. Wierdness.

I purchased the CD after listening a fair bit on the myspace-clips, and have been spinning it regularly the last few weeks.

To take the most important first: this is an awesome metal record!

I am thinking of this record as not as "chaotic" as Mastodon, but heavier, and without vocals that might tire out some folks. Perfect for those that want some heavy stuff, but without cookie monster vocals. Or screaming vocals. Or vocals at all. Just good instrumetal stuff! I love your tone on the rhythm guitar. Very grinding, and full of meat. I have no idea if I use the right words to describe it, though, but nonetheless, I have nothing but good words to say about the tone. And -- why play lead when you can come up with these cool rhythm riffs?

You are into a lot of different places with the music, yet, there seems to be some kind of system in the madness -- I like how you throw yourselves out in a new direction that opens up new (panorama) views into the music.

I have had this CD in the car for a while now, and I found that it was perfect to use it for waking up properly and getting on alert before exams.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks Tor! That is high praise indeed. I find riding in my car is the real test for music for me. If I can drive to something, I probably like it quite a bit!

I tried to approach the lead playing like one would if the songs had normal vocals. I don't have the inclination (or skill) to be one of those guys who plays a solo throughout an entire song like Satriani or whatever, and DoB is much more of a "band" than that, anyway, so I'm glad our approach is appreciated.

Heavier than Mastodon?? I'll wear that like a badge of honor whether I believe it or not!

Cheers, bro!
    -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Yeah, I think the leads work out really good with your music. Instead of solos in songs, it's the melodic component that leads/follows the music through its phases. Although I find that the rhythm guitar is surprisingly melodic (and dare I say catchy)! I find I'm unconsciously switching on humming the rhythm and the lead parts. Keep on keepin' on..