banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Well - Part XXVII: Cue the double bass (arco) and the tuba ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Well - Part XXVII: Cue the double bass (arco) and the tuba ...

Thank you for answering! Awesome read. As much as I screw around with you, and as much as we bash heads sometimes, you're a smart dude and you seem to be a very good father. So I respect that.

Feel free to re-shun, I'm going to go back to being the board nuisance.

Comment

What do you want to achieve in your life? Any short term goals? Long term?
      Facebook - My facebook page
      Kemo For Emo - My band. Now verified on Facebook & Spotify!

Comment

What were your first few steps in the world of work?

Did you change direction much based on your first steps?

What brought you to the area you're now working in?

What author's use of language have you most enjoyed?

Comment

Name two songs, riffs, and solos that you wish you had written. That's two of each. And don't give me any of that 'I don't really wish I'd written any other musician's stuff' rubbish.

We both dig fusion. At which point does fusion turn into fuzak for you?

Would you put up with all the scientology if invited to tour with Chick Corea?

I currently have a cold, and need to be well for weekend gigs. Any home remedies or tips to share?

You went from a roadster to a Blues jr. Has that worked out for you? if not, what would you like to move to?

If forced to eat zoo animal poop, which would you choose and why?

Playboy, Penthouse or Hustler? why?

Name one recurring forum topic that just bores you to tears.

Do you miss the days of political and religious discussion on this forum?

what's the nicest small thing anyone's ever done for you?

If given the chance to rule an African nation, which would you choose?

You walk into someone else's lounge and see a zebra skin on the floor. What is your reaction?
          Last edited by Hot _Grits; 05-05-2008, 05:29 AM.
          Originally posted by Jolly
          ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake View Post
            What do you want to achieve in your life? Any short term goals? Long term?
            short term -> long term goal = get and stay physically fit ... i need to lose at least 40 lbs ... probably closer to 50+ .. and not just lose weight, but actually get stronger, and be in better shape ...

mid term goal (~11 yrs) = get my sons raised up and thru college on a path to peaceful self sufficiency

long term goal = unsure .. probably something like retire at a point that is optimal between working 'long enough' to have earned enough money to last the rest of my life living comfortably and 'short enough' to be in good enough health to enjoy a music-related retirement career and travel with my wife .. if i could get all that done by about 60 or 62, that'd be great ...

i do not have a lot of corporate or entrepreneurial ambition ... i do not want the pressure that comes from having to be responsible for putting food on other people's tables, so owning my own business is out unless it is literally a one-man show ... i am not interested, or particularly skilled, at doing the corporate politics,game, so moving way up the ladder is not appealing ...

the retirement career that i have my eye on is music therapist ... going around to nursing homes or rehabilitation centes or hospitals and reaching folks who are in need of that kind of help thru music ... developmentally challenged kids, TBI vets, stroke survivors, whatever .... just getting them tapping their feet or clapping their hands or playing some percussion instruments ... i'd like to help people thru the thing that has helped me for so long
            Last edited by tone4days; 05-05-2008, 07:17 AM.
            gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

What were your first few steps in the world of work?
              i had a cooperative education job during my undergrad studies - i got to work at a real engineering job for 6 months out of every year then go to classes for the other 6 months .. this went on for 3 yrs, then i went to work full time for the same organization after graduation ... i was an electrical engineering major and i started out as a 'bench' engineer ... i quickly showed aptitude for asking 'big picture' questions about how my pieces fit in with all the other pieces to form a cohesive whole ... that got me assigned as a systems engineer, focused mostly on making sure that the systems that we were developing were going to satisfy the ultimate end user needs ... at the same time, i saw taht w ehad a real lack of decent project managers who could juggle 'all the balls' that are required for a successful project (cost, schedule, requirements, quality, etc) ... similarly, our organization had a real lack of decent people managers .. in fact, the three 'first level' supervisors and their boss (division manager) were all idiots .. so i went to a local university for graduate school and talked to the dept chair about a dual major in both project mgmt and organization mgmt ... after i got outta grad school, i felt prepared to do either/both jobs well ... and i have been doing that kind of hybrid work for the last 10+ yrs

Did you change direction much based on your first steps?
              it wasnt so much changing directions as it was a natural evolutionary progression based on the needs i observed and my interests/skills

What brought you to the area you're now working in?
              i had a major ethical disagreement with the owner of my last company, so i left ... still in the same industry, just a much better company

What author's use of language have you most enjoyed?
              hmmm, so many to choose from ... i think i'd have to say douglas adams ... such intelligent wimsy ...
              gear list in profile

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Name two songs, riffs, and solos that you wish you had written.

song #1 - europa - coster/santana
                song #2 - something - george harrison

riff #1 - opening riff to satisfaction
                riff #2 - opening riff to phase dance - pat metheny

solo#1 - devil take the hindmost - allan holdsworth
                solo#2 - sidewalk - carlos rios' solo from chick corea electric band's 1st cd

We both dig fusion. At which point does fusion turn into fuzak for you?
                when it is nothing more than an instrumental version of a song my mom knows without any major rhythmic or harmonic rearrangement

Would you put up with all the Scientology if invited to tour with Chick Corea?
                probably, yeah

I currently have a cold, and need to be well for weekend gigs. Any home remedies or tips to share?
                Nettie pot sinus irrigation, gargle with salt water, plenty of fluids, especially green tea ... as much rest as you can get

You went from a roadster to a Blues jr. Has that worked out for you? if not, what would you like to move to? has worked quite well - most especially the ease of use and light weight ... the blues jr needs pedals, of course, to get optimized ... but the duncan twintube classic and the zendrive are both really really good pedals ... i still itch for a mesa lonestar special or 5:25 1x12" combo ... but i am more self aware now to know that i am listening with my eyes, not my ears when i think about that GAS ...

If forced to eat zoo animal poop, which would you choose and why?
                wow

Playboy, Penthouse or Hustler? why?
                man, its been a really long time since i've seen any of those or their ilk ... playboy for the interviews and cartoons, penthouse for the letters and the women, hustler for no other reason than to support mr flynt's undaunted free speech advocacy

Name one recurring forum topic that just bores you to tears.
                anything involving bathroom 'humor' or gay 'humor'

Do you miss the days of political and religious discussion on this forum?
                a little, yeah .. but mostly not

what's the nicest small thing anyone's ever done for you?
                too many to list, so i'll give the most recent ... we just about always order a pizza for dinner on friday nights ... my son has pretty picky tastes, so for the last 10 years or so we usually just get 1 plain cheese pizza (boring) and its enough for the 3 of us (my other son has his own pizza - long story) ... well, he is nearly 14 now and his appetite is growing, so 1 pizza is no longer enough ... so last friday, my wife ordered the 2nd pizza to have sausage and onions (my fav) without telling me ... happy dinner surprise for me

If given the chance to rule an African nation, which would you choose?
                man, i would not want that job at all - even if democratically elected ... visiting sub saharan africa was the most depressing thing i have ever been thru ... it just struck me as endlessly hopeless ... if i had to, i'd pick a country that at least had some natural resources that could be sensibly converted to wealth that i could try to use to improve living standards for all ... someplace without tribal rivalries ... i ultimately think that any kind of nonindigenous 'rule' of an african country would be doomed ...

You walk into someone else's lounge and see a zebra skin on the floor. What is your reaction?
                "whoa, that's very cool lookin' ... i hope its fake"
                gear list in profile

Comment

Bill, I've been away for a while, so I've missed a couple of Well's. I'm glad I managed to catch yours. I'm stuck in the UK til I can fly back to Gib on Weds, and it's made for a most pleasent afternoon's read...

On to the questions: Where and when did you have your greatest on-stage moment?

Which is your favourite note on the guitar and in which position?

What venue would you most like to play, and what would be on your rider??

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

Where and when did you have your greatest on-stage moment?
                    i am fortunate to say that i have had several that stand out

- the first time a band i was in performed an original composition of mine ... was at an art gallery of really attentive music fans ... we played mostly original jazz rock instrumentals .. some real book tunes, but mostly the compositions of the multi instrumentalist leader of the band (keys, flute, sax, some guitar) .. he let me put two of mine in the program, including the first set ender ... was a real thrill to hear an very positive crowd response

- last summer, playing at the lakefront ... just an incredible sound mix - i never heard us sound so good and it just kept spiralling upward as the good sound gave rise to better performances from everyone

- two months ago at the banquet gig .. we got there only to find out that we were expected to play the dinner set .. by the seat of our pants, we pulled off five 10-minute long instrumentals that we had never played before ... i had to carry every head and solo on each tune because our keyboardist is not very skilled and our other guitarist refused to participate ... so we played 'all blues', 'phase dance' , 'breezin', 'things we do' (by the band indigenous), and something else that i cant remember right now ... very exhilarating to be on a high wire with no net .. and several in the audience put their forks down to applaud a coupla times, so that was cool

but hands down, if i had to pick a favorite ...

- my first live gig ever ... a 'battle of the bands' in a high school gymnasium ... we played the BOC version of 'roadhouse blues' .. it has the singalong part in the middle where the band plays/sings "i woke up this morning and i " ... then the band stops dead and the crowd sings "got myself a beer" ... we had no idea if they'd do it ... i was SHAKING as we approached that part - wouldve been an embarrassingly laughable disaster if they didnt ... they did it ... it was as close to an orgasm without an erection as i have ever been ... we went around again and they SCREAMED IT ... then we went into the "let it roll baby roll" part and we could hear them screaming over our instruments ...

any one, as long as its the right one for the moment ... truth be told, the note i play to see how well a guitar sustains is the G at the 12th fret of the G string, 3rd finger ... then i bend it up to an A ..

What venue would you most like to play, and what would be on your rider??
                    hmmm ... so many to choose from ... wahwah's episode of 'the well' and other tales of exploit certainly gives the nod to Wembley, doesnt it? ... close runners up would be 'red rocks', 'the tower theater' in my original home town, 'royal albert hall', 'hollywood bowl', 'that place in tuscany where Sting was playing on 9/11', iridium in NYC, and 'merriwether post pavilion' in my new hometown ...

my rider would be simple - a half dozen 1 liter bottles of water ... a half dozen clean white towels ... a fan pointing up at my mic stand in case i get too hot ... and a pic of me standing front and center, taken from behind me, showing the adoring throng with arms raised ...
                    gear list in profile

Comment

Originally posted by newking70 View Post
                      do you believe there's a heaven & a hell?
                      i wanted to add to this as i was thinking more abotu it over the weekend

to me 'heaven' and 'hell' are not simply 'afterlife' concepts

IMO, they are embedded in every moment of our lives ... many people live close to the divine while they are alive ... and sadly, others live in their own hell while they are alive ... they are not two exclusive endpoints, but rather exist on a continuum
                      gear list in profile

Comment

Originally posted by tone4days View Post

any one, as long as its the right one for the moment ... truth be told, the note i play to see how well a guitar sustains is the G at the 12th fret of the G string, 3rd finger ... then i bend it up to an A ..
                        Hey, who said you could steal my note?

What's your favorite chord? In what position/voicing?
                        Last edited by LesStrat; 05-05-2008, 05:08 PM.
                        Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                        https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
                        Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

What's your favorite chord? In what position/voicing?

E minor 9

E - 7 -
                          B - 7 -
                          G - 7 -
                          D - 5 -
                          A - 7 -
                          E - O -
                          gear list in profile

Comment

What tone do you strive for, and do you think you'll achieve it?

Comment

What subject/topic makes you think/ponder the most?

Comment

What tone do you strive for, and do you think you'll achieve it?
                                well, honestly - given my cover band activities, i am just looking for decent variety in the 'big 3' general tone regions ... cleans, crunchy rhythms, and singing single note solo tones ... for cleans, i want to be able to get a range of chordal 'clarity' from very distinct to nicely blurred (but without mud) ... for the crunchy rhythms, i want to be able to get a range from the barely broken up to a full on classic - hard rock rhythm (meaning, i have no use for massively brutal scooped chugga chugga blistering gain rhythm) .. and for single note solo tones, everything from bluesy, smooth sustain to liquid warm saturated somewhat compressed tones (again no need for the brutal metal onslaught) ... i really think that between the 5 electric guitars in my stable, i can get what i need tonally ... i am still dialing the amp/pedals side, but i think i am getting close to my endpoint ... lets just say that my gear probably exceeds my skill

ideally, i'd be able to play original electric jazzy rock world fusion music where i could forge my own signature family of tones

What subject/topic makes you think/ponder the most?
                                probably wondering if i am being a good enough parent ... barely beats out pondering how to best try to get in shape (meaning a sustainable plan for diet and exercise as opposed to something gimicky) ... in 3rd is worry about the future of the world for my kids (hard to be optimistic) ... 4th is probably religion / spirituality
                                gear list in profile

Comment

Working...
                                X