banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How important is that name on the headstock after all?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How important is that name on the headstock after all?

Well my main guitar is an SX Strat does this answer your question?

I don't care about the name on the headstock because I don't buy a guitar without playing it first. Sound and feel that's all it matters to me.

In fact I preffer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
    Father of The Unofficial SDUGF Hot Sauce

Comment

Originally posted by Blue_Fingers_Jay View Post
      Well my main guitar is an SX Strat does this answer your question?

I don't care about the name on the headstock because I don't buy a guitar without playing it first. Sound and feel that's all it matters to me.

In fact I preffer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
      Oh, I like the sound of that so...
      Originally posted by Blue_Fingers_Jay
      I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
      Originally posted by That90'sGuy
      Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Comment

if you ain't got in in your fingers, what guitar you play won't make a difference..imo anyways
        Guitars:
        JT200c les paul copy( jazzn,59n b);
        MIM Fender Sunburst Strat.
        Gibson Lp Standard cherry burst.
        Traynor YCV-50 Blue

Life is too short for bad tone…

Comment

i play tons of part mutts as well as some better stuff... everything from odd ball Squier necks on old Peavey bodies, and assorted imported stuff i pieced together... i've never worried about the headstock names on those... never will..

but i do find some better quality specs on top Name Brand guitars over imported copies most of the time.... that being said most of my 22 axes are imports...

Comment

Originally posted by KeeperOS View Post
            Oh, I like the sound of that so...
            Man am I "special" today, only now I realised you put it on your signature

Thanks man. I'm honoured.
            Father of The Unofficial SDUGF Hot Sauce

Comment

Thank you man for the quote

It really says it all
              I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
              Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Comment

Please remember that no matter how good a non expensive guitar is or how bad an expensive guitar is..........It's what other people think that matters !
                So if people are impressed by Gibson or Fender , then buy one of those brands. Remember it's not what you think that counts or matters....It's what other people think that matters. !!!!!!

Comment

It doesn't have to be a "real" Gibson or "real" Fender for me....it has to be a real Vigier

I love my Yamaha SA2200..it's the best sounding guitar I've ever had.
                  Originally posted by Guitarist
                  Honestly, I like Scott's words. "There is a rhythm to life. Ride the waves."

And keep in mind that while nothing lasts forever, nothing is lost.
                  http://soundcloud.com/adrian-czarnecki/tracks

Comment

Originally posted by wanmei1 View Post
                    Please remember that no matter how good a non expensive guitar is or how bad an expensive guitar is..........It's what other people think that matters !
                    So if people are impressed by Gibson or Fender , then buy one of those brands. Remember it's not what you think that counts or matters....It's what other people think that matters. !!!!!!
                    You jest sir.

But my view on it? Everything is about the shape and sound of your tone if you are serious about playing guitar. A strong value on image has you choosing looks or name over sound. I've NEVER liked the les paul style guitar... but I bought one. Its heavy, fairly uncomfortable, and has poor upper fret access. But it has the sound I need for certain things. And if you can squeeze amazing tone out of a cheaper instrument then more power to you. Sound.....isn't that what matters?
                    Last edited by Rowan; 05-09-2008, 03:00 AM.

Comment

Yep!

BTW, latest news, hot off the press:
                      Here's a couple rounds of Guitar Jeopardy:
                      Player: Guitar Gossip for a 100 Alex:
                      Trebek: Where are the lower end Gibson guitars with Made in the USA actually made?
                      Player: Erm, what is China?
                      Trebek: China is CORRECT!!!
                      Player: Again Guitar Gossip for 200 Alex:
                      Trebek: For 200, what does Made in the USA actually means?
                      Player:Oh that's easy; What is, the guitars go in parts (including necks and bodies) in the US where they are assembled and setup...
                      Trebek:Correct again, what an amazing performance!!!
                      Trebek:Now for bonus round, what are the popular models that fall in that category?
                      Player: What is, Gibson LP Standard and below Alex?
                      Trebek:AMAZING, that is correct!!!

Nice huh?
                      Yeah, nothing beats a Gibson...

Comment

Originally posted by KeeperOS View Post
                        Yep!

BTW, latest news, hot off the press:
                        Here's a couple rounds of Guitar Jeopardy:
                        Player: Guitar Gossip for a 100 Alex:
                        Trebek: Where are the lower end Gibson guitars with Made in the USA actually made?
                        Player: Erm, what is China?
                        Trebek: China is CORRECT!!!
                        Player: Again Guitar Gossip for 200 Alex:
                        Trebek: For 200, what does Made in the USA actually means?
                        Player:Oh that's easy; What is, the guitars go in parts (including necks and bodies) in the US where they are assembled and setup...
                        Trebek:Correct again, what an amazing performance!!!
                        Trebek:Now for bonus round, what are the popular models that fall in that category?
                        Player: What is, Gibson LP Standard and below Alex?
                        Trebek:AMAZING, that is correct!!!

Nice huh?
                        Yeah, nothing beats a Gibson...
                        Incorrect. There are no "true" Gibsons made outside of the USA borders. By true, I mean, with the Gibson logo by Gibson, not the fakes seen all over eBay. All real Gibson electrics are made in Nashville or Memphis. I may not be the biggest Gibson fan, but I will stick up for them on that.

Comment

I heard that directly from a guy "from within".
                          The guitars are typically "Made" in the factory but those lower end ones (he said the Standard, I'm guessing at least the Faded line) always according to him apparently are simply assembled there...

Can't vouch for that but it does appear that way when comparing quality.
                          If that's untrue then, well, that's one more reason to NOT have respect for their MiA build quality...

Comment

I'm calling BS on what he said. I think you got taken for a ride.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                              +1

As for the thread in general- It really depends for me

there are some guitars with "lowly" names- which are indeed GREAT guitars- Old MIJ Squier's??? They kick the crap out of alot of higher $ strats!

Heck back in the late 70s and through the 80s, most of the MIJ stuff was seen as "inferior"-now look at the collectors market. People realize how stupid they were then, and how much better those MIJ guitars are compared to modern "imports"

And there are certain brands, regardless of how well built they are or where they are built , that just don't sit well with me due to prior bad experiences.
                              I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                                Dunno man, I don't see a reason for him to be badmouthing them but I'm in no position to insist either so I'm putting this in the "Take with a grain of salt" category...

Comment

Working...
                                X