banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How important is that name on the headstock after all?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How important is that name on the headstock after all?

The name on the headstock give me a good idea of what to expect when I pick up a given instrument. That's about it.

Comment

Originally posted by KeeperOS View Post
      Dunno man, I don't see a reason for him to be badmouthing them but I'm in no position to insist either so I'm putting this in the "Take with a grain of salt" category...
      Let me ask you this. Do you know this person personally, as in he lives there in Greece, or is it someone through another forum that you never met before?

Comment

Erik is right. Only the Epiphones are made outside the USA.

Gibson-haters have been trying to spread this rumor for at least a year now.
        Generic signature line.

Comment

Originally posted by B2D View Post
          The name on the headstock give me a good idea of what to expect when I pick up a given instrument. That's about it.
          [/thread]
          my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

I have no love for Gibson but have no hate for them either.

So I'll accept that there is a good chance this may be just as you say and leave it at that.
            Originally posted by Blue_Fingers_Jay
            I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
            Originally posted by That90'sGuy
            Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Comment

Originally posted by B2D View Post
              Yep, like the way that makes sense
              I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
              Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Rowan View Post
                You jest sir.

But my view on it? Everything is about the shape and sound of your tone if you are serious about playing guitar. A strong value on image has you choosing looks or name over sound. I've NEVER liked the les paul style guitar... but I bought one. Its heavy, fairly uncomfortable, and has poor upper fret access. But it has the sound I need for certain things. And if you can squeeze amazing tone out of a cheaper instrument then more power to you. Sound.....isn't that what matters?
                Yes and No ! - If everyone else thinks the sound is cool because they have seen the name on the headstock then it is cool.
                Life is all about image !
                It's not what you think that matters , it's what other people think !
                So if your a 17 year old with a Gibson or a Fender then you know that everyone is going to think that the sound is cool , that the guitar is cool and that your cool.
                So be Cool and buy a Fender and a Gibson ! - Who cares if you can maybe get the same sound from a Strat copy or an Epiphone because no one will think that's cool.
                Life is all about image and what other people think ! - and that's reality !

Comment

Originally posted by wanmei1 View Post
                  Yes and No ! - If everyone else thinks the sound is cool because they have seen the name on the headstock then it is cool.
                  Life is all about image !
                  It's not what you think that matters , it's what other people think !
                  So if your a 17 year old with a Gibson or a Fender then you know that everyone is going to think that the sound is cool , that the guitar is cool and that your cool.
                  So be Cool and buy a Fender and a Gibson ! - Who cares if you can maybe get the same sound from a Strat copy or an Epiphone because no one will think that's cool.
                  Life is all about image and what other people think ! - and that's reality !

Don't you get tired of trolling?

http://www.myspace.com/marchofalaric

Comment

Well, regardless of how idiotic WE think this is I've actually had the misfortune of witnessing this very thing first hand:

13 year old sh!t that had just started learning how to play (i.e. only knew how to play the "Master of Puppets" intro riff) went with his 3-piece suit blues lawyer dad to get a guitar.
                    Now if you had that image in front of you you'd KNOW that this was a situation where money would be no object for the dad and the little sh!t wouldn't give a d@mn regardless.
                    So the salesperson goes to them, the boy asks for a guitar and says "I wanna play Metal 'cause I'm big and mean and troubled and stuff" (well, not verbatim but you get the idea) and after he dismisses the idea of a Strat derivative the salesperson hands him a Fernandes Ravelle Elite, not a cheap beginners guitar by any stretch but rather a solid, higher-end and totally gigable one, I'm guessing thinking that an amateur like him that nevertheless could afford to pay for practically anything they had there couldn't possibly ask for anything more (and why show him anything less?).

3 guesses what happened next;
                    If you need a couple of hints the words Gibson, SG, a couple of artist's names and something in the effect of "I heard it was good" and "cool factor" all came up...

And the best part?
                    The salesperson who obviously would want to make a big commission but wasn't a dirtbag tried to politely explain that this was way out of what he'd need as a beginner since what he had showed him would be every bit as good as far as he could tell and that he'd first need to become more conscious as a player before committing to something THAT high end.
                    However the image conscious dad (that's when I was 90% sure that he actually WAS a lawyer) was actually listening to his son, wanting to buy him what was best (or rather, what was RECOGNIZED as being "the best")

Questions anyone?

(P.S. obviously these kind of cases is what I'm primarily pissed off with and believe to be out of the scope of this discussion on the grounds of being a classic case of "all money and no brains"...)

Comment

Well, regardless of how idiotic WE think this is I've actually had the misfortune of witnessing this very thing first hand:

13 year old sh!t that had just started learning how to play (i.e. only knew how to play the "Master of Puppets" intro riff) went with his 3-piece suit blues lawyer dad to get a guitar.
                      Now if you had that image in front of you you'd KNOW that this was a situation where money would be no object for the dad and the little sh!t wouldn't give a d@mn regardless.
                      So the salesperson goes to them, the boy asks for a guitar and says "I wanna play Metal 'cause I'm big and mean and troubled and stuff" (well, not verbatim but you get the idea) and after he dismisses the idea of a Strat derivative the salesperson hands him a Fernandes Ravelle Elite, not a cheap beginners guitar by any stretch but rather a solid, higher-end and totally gigable one, I'm guessing thinking that an amateur like him that nevertheless could afford to pay for practically anything they had there couldn't possibly ask for anything more (and why show him anything less?).

3 guesses what happened next;
                      If you need a couple of hints the words Gibson, SG, a couple of artist's names and something in the effect of "I heard it was good" and "cool factor" all came up...

And the best part?
                      The salesperson who obviously would want to make a big commission but wasn't a dirtbag tried to politely explain that this was way out of what he'd need as a beginner since what he had showed him would be every bit as good as far as he could tell and that he'd first need to become more conscious as a player before committing to something THAT high end.
                      However the image conscious dad (that's when I was 90% sure that he actually WAS a lawyer) was actually listening to his son, wanting to buy him what was best (or rather, what was RECOGNIZED as being "the best")

Questions anyone?

(P.S. obviously these kind of cases is what I'm primarily pissed off with and believe to be out of the scope of this discussion on the grounds of being a classic case of "all money and no brains"...)
                      So you're jealous that a nice dad wanted to buy his kid the guitar he wanted?
                      I'm lost.
                      Kid either gets into guitar and learns on the guitar his dad can easily afford, or kid loses interest and dad could care less since he can afford it.
                      What's the problem.

You seem to be a Helloween fan, so I presume you're into metal yourself. So why the "I wanna play Metal 'cause I'm big and mean and troubled and stuff"??? I really do not understand where you're coming from here.
                      If a kid can play the intro to "Master of Puppets" that's great, at least he's not playing "Frantic" or some other utter crap, and if you take a look on YouTUbe you'll see plenty people have no idea how to play that riff anyway!
                      Are you jealous, cos it really sounds like it.

I am. I wish my dad hadn't left when I was four, so he could be around to buy me a Gibson. But he did, so I make do with what I have. I certainly don't begrudge a rich kid a nice guitar to learn on.

Comment

Man, are you way off the mark...

First of all, jealousy doesn't even come into the picture.
                        Like the earlier post suggested it was an image thing. From the "I wanna play Metal 'cause..." part to the kind of guitar he chose, all of it was because of the image he wanted to buy himself.
                        Same for the father too. It wasn't that he wanted to do a good thing for his son but the mentality "My son is gonna have THE BEST there is because he's MY son".
                        Again, a common method of projecting an image of success called "Flashing your money", ever heard of it?

All that in my mind sums up to what I call "Being a Poser" and IMO posers are the worst kind of losers and among them I dislike the most the ones that use Metal to do it exactly because it is what I like as it hurts me twice to see the music I like being used by some 13 year old sh!t with self-esteem issues as a way to make himself look cooler...

And BTW, I consider my father to have been a good one and had he not died when I was 11 I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have bought it to me BECAUSE he was a good father and would have wanted me to learn to appreciate things...

Comment

Name on headstock? It is important. That's why I don't have any on my headstock

Actually, it is fun to sound awesome and keep the myth
                          Wackor
                          Ørdøg
                          NecroPolo
                          Diabolus in Musica
                          SIDrip Alliance
                          Book of Shadows
                          RKH

Comment

Heh, I like the sound of that

Comment

Man, are you way off the mark...

First of all, jealousy doesn't even come into the picture.
                              Like the earlier post suggested it was an image thing. From the "I wanna play Metal 'cause..." part to the kind of guitar he chose, all of it was because of the image he wanted to buy himself.
                              Same for the father too. It wasn't that he wanted to do a good thing for his son but the mentality "My son is gonna have THE BEST there is because he's MY son".
                              Again, a common method of projecting an image of success called "Flashing your money", ever heard of it?

All that in my mind sums up to what I call "Being a Poser" and IMO posers are the worst kind of losers and among them I dislike the most the ones that use Metal to do it exactly because it is what I like as it hurts me twice to see the music I like being used by some 13 year old sh!t with self-esteem issues as a way to make himself look cooler...

And BTW, I consider my father to have been a good one and had he not died when I was 11 I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have bought it to me BECAUSE he was a good father and would have wanted me to learn to appreciate things...

I think you're reading far too much into all that.
                              I'm watching my baby daughter try to sit up for the first time here (she's just 7 months old).
                              If I have the money, and she wants a guitar, I'll get her a Gibson or USA Jackson or whatever she wants.

I'll make sure she learns it though.

But, if I have the money I'll give her what she wants.

Don't judge some kid on the fact his dad has a big pile of cash, it's really not fair.

Comment

Look man, I know what it is like when a dad wants to make sure that his kid has everything he'd ever need, everything HE never had. I kinda grew up in that generation, I've seen it all around. I think I can recognize it when I see it.
                                And I think I can recognize patterns that reveal situations that may look similar but are in fact completely different as they're because of different reasons.

I honestly believe that if you were to go buy your kid something ridiculously expensive it'd be because you'd want your kid to never be deprived of anything.
                                This was not one of those cases. I could read it in their looks, their body language, their facial expressions and the tone of their voice. It's not as if it's hard to read a 13-year-old kid and his father, he was such a textbook case it could have been funny if it wasn't tragic...

BTW, on a totally personal note, if it were my kid I'd try to get him what would help him the most in that specific learning curve, leaving the high end stuff as a promise for when he got substantially better and became much more conscious as a player (so that, among other things, he'd actually KNOW that he wants it because that's what suits him instead of just going for what sells these days).
                                I FIRMLY believe that making someone work in order to get something builds character.
                                Having EVERYTHING available to him without him EVER having to do anything himself just makes for a spoiled kid and a lousy adult that thinks the world owes him and frankly, apart from that being the surest recipe for creating a total jerk it will also render that person completely incapable of actually dealing with anything on his own and when things get tough (and sooner or later they WILL) he wouldn't know WHAT to do but try to depend on others that may or may NOT be there...

But I think we digressed too far from the topic so, headstock names people?
                                Last edited by KeeperOS; 05-10-2008, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X