banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Well - Part XXVIII: Life... don't talk to me about life.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Well - Part XXVIII: Life... don't talk to me about life.

My Drexel U. bro T4D asked me to host The Well this week. Fire away.
    Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
    Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Re: The Well - Part XXVIII: Life... don't talk to me about life.

I'll kick it off with my usual one:

Detailed/brief history of listening and gear preferences, and things you've noticed about your technique along the way?
    www.JeffDunne.com

Comment

Why are you moving back to Philly? Not enough crime in Houston for you?
      Facebook - My facebook page
      Kemo For Emo - My band. Now verified on Facebook & Spotify!

Comment

How did you get into working on pedals and amps and such?
        BTW, I am really enjoying the Ibanez Phaser pedal, I use it with my Peavey Bandit 65...sounds really good. Thank you again!

-dave
        I don't believe anything I say and only half of what you hear....

Comment

provolone or whiz?
          Originally posted by Gearjoneser
          Put the two together, and make it Kambone.

Comment

Originally posted by newking70 View Post
            provolone or whiz?
            or just cutting the................

-dave
            I don't believe anything I say and only half of what you hear....

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual Kevorkian View Post
              I'll kick it off with my usual one:

Detailed/brief history of listening and gear preferences, and things you've noticed about your technique along the way?
              When I first started playing in junior high (1973) I was a complete Terry Kath fanatic, though I didn't really have any idea what he was doing. After that, I moved into a Deep Purple phase - Made in Japan is still one of my favorite albums. I was also heavily into Rush,, in particular the Fairwell to Kings, 2112, and Permanent Waves albums. Around that time, I saw Cheap Trick and realized geeks could rock, too. This got be more into simpler, song-oriented rock, rather than the bomabastic heavier stuff. Around this time, The Who got to be a big influence. As the New Wave came in, I started liking The Cars, and then The Police, and the Pretenders. On the "rock" side, I went through a huge Pat Travers phase, mostly their live album, Go For What You Know. I've stayed in that song-oriented vein for years, and really respect guys like Joe Jackson, Elvis Costello, Johnny Marr, plus producer/players like John Leventhal (with Shawn Colvin and Roseanne Cash) and Jon Brion (with Aimee Mann).

For a long time, I was mostly a guitar-chord-amp guy. My first decent guitar was a Bradely bolt-neck lawsuit SG copy, which then pushed me to a pair of '69 Gibson SGs, complete with giant chrome Vibrola. About that same time, my first "good" amp was a 1973-ish Fender Twin. After a while I got tired of the tuning problems, and traded the SGs for a 78 Norllin maple-necked goldtop LP standard. Thanks to Alex Leifson and Pete Townsend, I traded my Twin for a Hiwatt DR103 100-watt head, and added a couple of Ampeg V4 cabs. When I wanted a backup for that, I found the new ones didn't sound the same, so I exchanged my brand-new "backup" Hiwatt for a Marshall JMP 2203 head. I found the Marshall had the crunch I was looking for, and its master volume worked a lot better than the Hiwatt's, making it easier to control. Then, I went through a downsizing period, as I first dropped to a single Marshall quad cab, and then replanted the 2203 head into Marshall 2-12 combo cabinet. When that was stolen, I replaced it with a JCM800 2203 and a 1960 2-12 cab, later downsizing again to a 4010 (2204 chassis in a 1-12 combo). Somewhere in there, I decided Les Pauls were boring, and traded into a white Dean V.

The combined influences of Alex Leifson, Andy Summers, and Pat Travers inspired me to build my first pedalboard, around the time I acquired my first 2203 head. At first, it was mostly just chorus, flange, and analog delay. When I started playing out with my band in college, I added a GE-7 as a solos boost/overdrive, which worked fine into an already-overdriven Marshall. I experimented with some rack stuff in the late 80's, but that same basic pedalboard was really "my sound" from then until the present day. During college, I got more in the Fender thang, my backup Tele displaced the Dean as my #1, then I had a mutt Strat for a while, then back to various Teles. The two best were a black 84 Schecter PT and a MIJ double-bound Tele that I Nashville-ized. My current guitars are attempts to re-create those "two that got away" without spending a ton of money.

These days, a small amp is good enough for me, and I'm presently rocking a monster 13 Watter. My sound is actually closer to what I thought I was getting back in the day, but it's actually better tone than what I got out of the 2203/2204. So, even though the amp has changed drastically, it's still "my sound" only moreso.

The thing I've always noticed about my technique is that it's been consistently awful for all these years. I spend way too much time goofing around with my gear, and not enough time practicing. It helps that my idols and main influences are more song- and feel-oriented players, rather than "chops" types.
              Last edited by Rich_S; 05-10-2008, 11:27 PM.
              Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
              Rich Stevens

Comment

Originally posted by Jake View Post
                Why are you moving back to Philly? Not enough crime in Houston for you?
                It started as an attempt to move back to my wife's hometown of Potsdam, NY - small town, back to nature, simple life, "Last Child in the Woods" klinda thing. Also, we wanted to get back closer to both of our parents, as they are getting older. But there aren't many places for a guy like me to work up there, and the closest I could get was working for some old friends of mine out of their comapny's Philly office. At least we'll be close to my Dad, and a **** sight closer to my wife's folks than we are now. Still, I kind of feel like I let the family down - they really had their hearts set on the North Couintry.

Originally posted by darnright View Post
                How did you get into working on pedals and amps and such?
                I was always into playing around with electrical stuff, even as a kid. I couldn't leave well enough alone. My first amp was an old shortwave radio from the town dump, converted by me and a friend. It shocked the hell out of me every time I touched anything while playing. When I decided to start using pedals, I wouldn't settle for a tangled mess on the floor. Inspired by the boards Pete Cornish built for two of my heros, Pat Travers and Andy Summers, I decided to build one of my own. To reduce the amount of drilling and remounting, I hit upon the idea of leaving the pedals in their shells, but incorporating those into the structure of the board.

The amp thing started back around 2001 - after being ampless for 10 years or so, I went looking for something small but decent to start playing again. I was appalled at the prices for simply, quality amps like silverface Princetons and the like. On the other hand, I was experienced and mature enough not to want to settle for some cheap piece of junk. So, I decided to build one myself, and started researching the web. I spent a lot of time on AX84.com and 18Watter.com. I eventually settled on a Mashall 18 Watter, partly because the Bogen donor amp I started with was well-suited to that, and also becuase Robbie McIntosh played one on some of my favorite tracks on the Pretenders' Learning to Crawl album. Given the time constraints of full-time work and parenthood (not to mention two long-distance moves) it took me four years from the time I started searching the web to the time my 13 Watter was done.

Once the amp was done, and given the wealth of info on the web, it was only natural to start mucking around inside my pedals. I also think I'm more discerning in my advanced age, and can hear the differneces various mods make. When I was younger, I don't think I would have cared that much.

Originally posted by newking70 View Post
                provolone or whiz?
                They may revoke my "Philly" card for this, but... American.

Originally posted by Kindred_Spirits
                As a former Drexel student, what do you think about the current President, Constantine Papadakis?
                I think he's a riot. I still get the alumni magazine, and there isn't a picture taken on that campus that he doesn't get his mug into, smiling and shaking hands and schmoozing.

I'm old-school, and like to think colleges should be sort of isolated from the real world. But this is the real world, and colleges have to be run like a business, where the bottom line, and growth, and marketing are important. It's kind of sad, but that's what schools have to do these days to thrive, and in that respect, CP seems to be doing a great job.
                Last edited by Rich_S; 05-10-2008, 11:29 PM.
                Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                Rich Stevens

Comment

Rich, I still feel bad about offending you. Hope you can forgive me for that.

And question wise, you prefer Pat's, Geno's, or some place else?

Comment

^And on a related topic, why doesn't anyone make a Philly cheese steak with Philadelphia Cream Cheese?
                    sigpic
                    "Add about a half-a-teacup o' bass...."
                    --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook
                    Originally posted by Lewguitar
                    In our heart of hearts we're love. That's who we really are.

Comment

How do you feel about snakes?

Favorite:
                      band?
                      beer?
                      guitar?
                      movie?
                      book?
                      car?
                      plant?
                      bird?
                      Pink Floyd album?
                      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by BigAlTheBird View Post
                        And question wise, you prefer Pat's, Geno's, or some place else?
                        I never got down to "real" south Philly. My main steak places were Jim's on South Street, the Drexel lunch trucks, and a place at 32nd & Chestnut Sts. near Penn's campus. They had good steaks, but I mostly went there because I worked on the electrical crew wiring up the lighting & kitchen before it opened.

Originally posted by ginormous View Post
                        ^And on a related topic, why doesn't anyone make a Philly cheese steak with Philadelphia Cream Cheese?
                        That's one for the ages.

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                        How do you feel about snakes?
                        Not wild about 'em, but live & let live I guess. My daughter & her friend came across a cottonmouth while walking on their middle school campus the other day.

Favorite:
                        band?
                        Hard to pick just one, but I'll go with the Police.

Close seconds:
                        • Chicago (original lineup)
                        • Deep Purple II (Giilan/Glover)
                        • Pretenders (First of Second lineups)
                        • Joe Jackson Band (original lineup)
                        • The Attractions

beer?
                        Diet Mountain Dew

guitar?
                        My black 84 Schecter PT.

(BTW, BiGal - I remember this gig. We ate dinner at Jim's Steaks on South Street before the show.)

movie?
                        Hmmm... gotta think about that.

book?
                        Cryptonomicon by Neil Stephenson

car?
                        GT-40

plant?
                        Robert

bird?
                        This grey parrot that belonged to a guy I used to work with. One time when we were at their house for a cookout, it called my then 5-year-old daughter "f***er". Fortunately, she didn't understand what it said, so the adults could later draw much amusement from the episode.

Pink Floyd album?
                        Not much of a Floyd fan, but I'll say "anything but The Wall". I think I own only DSM and Momentary Lapse of reason on vinyl.
                        Last edited by Rich_S; 05-11-2008, 03:16 PM.
                        Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                        Rich Stevens

Comment

All jokes aside....what's Philadelphia really like?

UPenn is on my list of potential grad schools, but it seems like everything I've ever heard/read about Philadelphia always seems to involve gang activity and/or gun violence. And the city that Boo-ed Santa Claus. What gives?
                          Last edited by Jake; 05-11-2008, 03:50 PM.
                          Facebook - My facebook page
                          Kemo For Emo - My band. Now verified on Facebook & Spotify!

Comment

I love Philadelphia. I've been away so long that I don't really have a feel for whether all the crime trouble they've had lately is real or just sensationalized news coverage.

The think I like about the city is it age - the sense of history. It's a city you could live in, unlike many I've seen that are only open from 9-5 weekdays. University City is a great place and U of P has what I think is the best radio station in North America, WXPN. My Dad is a U of P alumnus, Bachelor's and Law School. Philly is also great place because it's so central - you can be in New York or Washington in a couple hours by train.
                            Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                            Rich Stevens

Comment

Did you ever wish you were an Oscar Meyer weiner?
                              Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                              https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
                              Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Working...
                              X