banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Well - Part XXVIII: Life... don't talk to me about life.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Well - Part XXVIII: Life... don't talk to me about life.

Originally posted by LesStrat View Post
    Did you ever wish you were an Oscar Meyer weiner?
    That is what I'd truly like to be.
    Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
    Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

So what is new in LIFE? LOL!

Are you gonna go over to the guy's house with all that cool gear and steal it?
      I get weak in the knees at the sight of a vintage Fender amp!

Comment

having survived drexel, would you let your kid go there?
        gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Originally posted by VIBROLUX View Post
          Are you gonna go over to the guy's house with all that cool gear and steal it?
          Stealing your boss' collection of boutique amplifiers in the first month of employment is bad form.

Originally posted by tone4days View Post
          having survived drexel, would you let your kid go there?
          Sure, if he knew what he was getting into. I think Drexel gives an excellent education, and co-op should be mandatory for undergrad engineers and pretty much everyone else.
          Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
          Rich Stevens

Comment

My two favorites for now:

Can you name one single artist/band that should be obligatory listening for us kids?

Can you elaborate on an experience you've had that you think others can learn from as well?

Thanks.

Edit: Noo! JB stole my question regarding fav. artist/band!
            Last edited by Tor; 05-12-2008, 09:18 AM.
            My Soundclick

Comment

You can have any one thing or place all to yourself for twenty-four hours. What would it be, and why?

cg
              Originally posted by ImmortalSix
              I am just jug the merlot

Comment

Originally posted by Tor View Post
                Can you elaborate on an experience you've had that you think others can learn from as well?
                When I graduated with my engineering degree in 1984, I viewed "guitar" and "real job" as an either/or proposition. I went the engineering route, and eventually job, wife, house, and kids displaced guitar almost completely. Looking back, I can see that there were guitar-related job possibilities other than "rock star". If I had been a bit more creative in my thinking back then, I might have been able to make a career out of some aspect of the guitar biz, and I'd be a happier camper today for it. Unfortunately, if you depend on mid-life wisdom for these revalations, you're often too committed to your obligations to make a change.

Originally posted by KGMESSIER View Post
                You can have any one thing or place all to yourself for twenty-four hours. What would it be, and why?
                My time. As much as I love my wife and kids, there is nothing left over for me. I'll take my 24 hours in six 4-hour blocks, every other day for 12 days. Each day, I go for a three-hour bike ride to a start on getting back in shape.
                Last edited by Rich_S; 05-12-2008, 10:04 AM.
                Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                Rich Stevens

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_S View Post
                  When I graduated with my engineering degree in 1984, I viewed "guitar" and "real job" as an either/or proposition. I went the engineering route, and eventually job, wife, house, and kids displaced guitar almost completely. Looking back, I can see that there were guitar-related job possibilities other than "rock star". If I had been a bit more creative in my thinking back then, I might have been able to make a career out of some aspect of the guitar biz, and I'd be a happier camper today for it. Unfortunately, if you depend on mid-life wisdom for these revelations, you're often too committed to your obligations to make a change.
                  What are some of the career paths you wish you had pursued?
                  Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                  I am just jug the merlot

Comment

Originally posted by KGMESSIER View Post
                    What are some of the career paths you wish you had pursued?
                    I think I could have succeeded doing the kind of work I do now - designing manufacturing facilities, automation, etc. but working in the music business rather than general industry. I actually looked into it about ten years ago. Several guys: Paul Reed Smith, Chris Martin IV, Bob Taylor and a few others were very helpful, and spent some time with me on the phone, or at their plants, talking about the business of manufacturing guitars, rather than "luthing" (as Bob Talyor calls it). We all agreed there was a need for engineers with an appreciation for the artistic side of the guitar, but I could afford the pay hit, jumping from general industry into the guitar biz. So, these days, I'm just whorin' myself out to the petrochem folks.

Obviously, the boutique amp/effects business appeals to me, too, but there was no such thing back in the mid-80s.

I also could have done well in sound reinforcement systems. Back then, that meant "touring" systems; the life-style was a big turn-off for me. These days, there's a huge market for permanent installations of concert-level sound systems; very involved projects needing formal engineeering skills. It's largely driven by the Christian-contemporary worship movement, but I didn't see that coming...
                    Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                    Rich Stevens

Comment

You should post a more up to date picture of yourself.
                      I get weak in the knees at the sight of a vintage Fender amp!

Comment

Is the title of this thread a reference to "Hitchhiker's Guide?"

Comment

Originally posted by VIBROLUX View Post
                          You should post a more up to date picture of yourself.
                          Why would anyone want to take a picture of me these days? I look like the old pictures minus some hair, plus 40 pounds.

Originally posted by Gamera View Post
                          Is the title of this thread a reference to "Hitchhiker's Guide?"
                          Ding ding ding! We have a winner.
                          Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                          Rich Stevens

Comment

so Rich

tell us of some experiences you have had overseas (business, pleasure, etc) ...
                            gear list in profile

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Funny you should ask. Around 1991, I spent 7 months working on a steel mill startup in Chengdu, the city nearest where yesterday earthquake occurred. Ever commute to work by bike with a million other people? That's a different kind of experience.

I've never really been travelled overseas for pleasure. For business, I've been to Brazil, Mexico, China (Chengdu and Shanghai). I wish I could spend more time in Europe - my Georgia Tech grad school class spent two weeks in France and Germany studying international business, but I'd like to go sometime when there's no schooling involved.
                              Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                              Rich Stevens

Comment

what kids of things (tools, materials, test equipment, reference materials, etc) should a first-time tube amp kit builder have on hand in order to reduce frustration and make it easier to work through challenges that crop up?
                                gear list in profile

Comment

Working...
                                X