SDUG New Forum Pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDUG New Forum Pickup

I'm very happy with this design. I think it went this way from when the process was started... and it might be just the right thing for so many players here.

I'm afraid I won't be able to afford it or find immediate use for this pickup. The gear money I'm saving right now will be spent on more pedals and noiseless pickups for my new strat.

Comment

Sounds like a fun design. I have an Ed guitar with a '78 bridge and a Classic stack in the neck all wired together with a 5-way superswitch for splitting. This CS item would be a really cool replacement in that guitar. A '78 bridge with a P90/Single neck at the flip of a lever...cool.
      Last edited by Binnerscot; 06-17-2008, 12:05 PM.
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      Of course, I lack the requisite intellectual capacity to engage in a theoretical discourse regarding the sociological and ethical implications of the absurd and incongruous concept of personal ownership of firearms and the ridiculous supposition that humans are capable of responsibly using said weapons.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
        well to start it will be a strat size, probably a true single coil with a tap
        In this case, just point me where we sign up for this :P I'm all for it since it would give us incredible amounts of versatility on a HSS or HSH Strat when applied with P-Rails..

Comment

Heheh, my thoughts exactly bro
          Originally posted by Blue_Fingers_Jay
          I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
          Originally posted by That90'sGuy
          Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
            Not interested at all (no personal need for a sc that can do all that- isnt a QP with a tap about the same thing?)
            The QP doesn't sound even remotely close to a P90... not to my ears anyway.

And Johnny ~ Weren't you the guy pushing this whole process forward with your polls & whatnot? I recall you being fairly vocal about it... and now you bag out???

Bizzare.
            J. 'Moose' Kahrs
            mixer|producer|recordist
            mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
            All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...

Comment

Originally posted by wanmei1 View Post
              Plaese count me out as Ive got my doubts.
              I don't think we need anything new or exciting or different .
              Don't we already have enought pickups to choose from.
              And what about the price , I bet it will be expensive.
              Why do we need another pickup anyway when Leo designed his lovely cheap to make bolt on neck guitars to have single coils.
              I've got my doubts !, I've seriously got my doubts.
              Really? How is that helpful in any way? You don't even offer a legitimate criticism of it other than "I bet it will be expensive". And you're in the wrong place if you "don't think we need anything new or exciting or different". And what are you, William Faulkner? Learn to use punctuation.
              Originally posted by ImmortalSix
              I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

now that i think of it this would be the perfect pickup for my cigar box guitar, however i cannot justify spending close to a 100 on a pickup to put in a guitar that cost me 20 to make
                sigpic
                Warmoth Split Jazzmaster (Zhangbucker Crushbucker UOA5 splat, Cherrick tapped)
                Dunlop Crybaby
                MXR Custom Comp
                GFS Twin Overdrive
                Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver
                Blackstar HT-DISTX
                Seymour Duncan 84-40 (Weber Grey Wolf Light Dope)

Comment

That's unique

Hey, it's not as if you won't be able to take it out once it's there
                  Hehe, love it
                  I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
                  Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Comment

true... but i wouldnt have anything to do with it afterward... and that means i would have to get 2, one for it and another for my bridge on my sss guitar. Then again if i dont like my vvblues in my ibanez this would fit nicely... but i dont think i could afford 2... GAS!

BTW everyone should own one of these, belive it or not it is versital and has some awesome clean tones! just google cigar box guitar
                    sigpic
                    Warmoth Split Jazzmaster (Zhangbucker Crushbucker UOA5 splat, Cherrick tapped)
                    Dunlop Crybaby
                    MXR Custom Comp
                    GFS Twin Overdrive
                    Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver
                    Blackstar HT-DISTX
                    Seymour Duncan 84-40 (Weber Grey Wolf Light Dope)

Comment

Ya know no one has really talked about looks! For me I hope it looks like a stock strat single coil but sounds like a P90. Something wierd looking like with the PA polls maybe would take me out of this.
                      I hope it is set up where there is time to buy another one at this price if it kills. I will most likely buy one for my Silverado in the bridge if it doesn't look too off the wall but if I get it and like it I may snag another one or two as neck pickups!
                      Guitars
                      Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                      Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

(...sigh...)

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
                        Ya know no one has really talked about looks! For me I hope it looks like a stock strat single coil but sounds like a P90. Something wierd looking like with the PA polls maybe would take me out of this.
                        I hope it is set up where there is time to buy another one at this price if it kills. I will most likely buy one for my Silverado in the bridge if it doesn't look too off the wall but if I get it and like it I may snag another one or two as neck pickups!

We decided to leave the final specs...

Wire.

Magnets.

Looks.

All up to Seymour & MJ.

I've been told by a few winders that it's "impossible" to get a P90 tone out of a 'Fender' sized pickup... if anyone can do it, the Duncan custom shop can! At least I'd like to believe so...

So, yes.

That's why it's somewhat "vague" beyond the tonal description.

Let them figure out the best way to do it... be it bar magnets, 1/4" rods... adjustable pole pieces... whatever.

Are guitar players really THAT vain & ego-driven, to buy or not buy a pickup based on what it looks like?!?

I thought it was all about tone...

Maybe I'm weird.

I dunno...

J. 'Moose' Kahrs
                        mixer|producer|recordist
                        mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Comment

Originally posted by J Moose View Post
                          I've been told by a few winders that it's "impossible" to get a P90 tone out of a 'Fender' sized pickup...
                          Harmonic Design, Rio Grande, and DiMarzio claim they have pickup models that do just that. How close, in reality? I don't know; but the claim is there.

One of those would go screamingly well in the neck position of my Telecaster....
                          Last edited by Butch Snyder; 06-18-2008, 11:57 AM.
                          -Butch

Comment

Originally posted by Butch Snyder View Post
                            Harmonic Design, Rio Grande, and DiMarzio claim they have pickup models that do just that. How close, in reality? I don't know; but the claim is there.
                            I've never tried a DiMarzio that I've loved... I have one set of pickups in my hardtail strat that are pretty cool... and the Fred... & I have an SDS1 from the late 70s that was great until it died last year. Everything else is kinda "blah". To me they cover up the tone of the wood, disconnect me from the instrument and all I hear is the pickup.

I've played Rio Grandes in a few Strats & those seem to be good... don't think I've heard of Harmonic Design... I'll have to check those out!
                            J. 'Moose' Kahrs
                            mixer|producer|recordist
                            mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Comment

I hope for this as well, I DEFINITELY will buy at least one (maybe two money allowing) for sure but It'd be nice if I had time to test it, see how much I like it an THEN order another 2 or so for my Cort (who is soon to be just a Cort neck and a custom body/parts) and perhaps a future project as well (like the bridge of an Ash SSS strat that I've been GASing about...)

Originally posted by J Moose View Post
                              I've never tried a DiMarzio that I've loved... To me they cover up the tone of the wood, disconnect me from the instrument and all I hear is the pickup.
                              Hmm, same here, I feel EXACTLY like this. The only DMZ I have that still like is the Fast Track 1 which is a rails bucker but still kinda sounds like a Strat SC. Rather neutral sounding but in a good way.

Comment

i dont think thats ever happened before and i doubt it will this time either. the idea is that they can tool up and make a bunch of them in one shot then move on to other things, thats why we get the discount. that and evan loves us enough to make it happen.

Comment

Working...
                                X