What are THE best electronic parts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are THE best electronic parts?

Come tomorrow I'm gonna go to the guitar shop for new pickups for my latest guitar (the Swing EZ-10) and at the same time I want to replace EVERY electronic part.
    The guitar is an HH, has a master volume, master tone and a 3-way and I want to utilize 2 push/pulls for splitting the (new) neck and bridge pickups.

What are THE BEST possible electronics I can go with, I'm talking going all-out (well within reason anyway, not really intent on spending 50€ on a 3-way or 20€ for a cap or sth )

(BTW, the reason I didn't say WHICH pickups is because I actually don't know, I'm gonna go there when they're closing and we're gonna go alligator clip on everything they have there that I'd probably want )
    Originally posted by Blue_Fingers_Jay
    I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
    Originally posted by That90'sGuy
    Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Re: What are THE best electronic parts?

You shoulda just bought a Jackson SL3

http://www.myspace.com/marchofalaric

Comment

Then I'd have had a 1500€ worth of WOOD and I'd STILL want to replace every electronic part in it as well

In all honesty I am particularly sensitive about the quality of electronics manufacturers put in their production guitars.

I have tried a great deal of guitars from many manufacturers and of many price points (up to about 1500-2000€).
      So far THE ONLY guitar whose stock electronics I'd leave stock was the Taylor SolidBody (the Ash one). Those pots I instantly fell in love with.

The second one (and by far although not unacceptable) was Carvin (I have to admit I haven't had a chance to try out the EBMMs but they're more than as little off my price range and not ordinary production guitars either...).

And in case someone missed it I am asking which are THE best aftermarket push/pull pots (I'm not talking about the push/pull part but about the pot part ), the best 3-way and the best output jack. (oh, and bar the really expensive ones, also caps and resistors)

If no-one has a better idea I'm looking at DiMarzio push/pulls (unless I can find CTS ones), a Switchcraft 3-way and whatever jack they'll suggest me as the best

BTW, the guy is even gonna use Evidence cable for all the wiring, get what I mean about going all-out?
      I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
      Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Comment

The DiMarzio Push/pulls are nice. I haven't had one in my hands in a while so I don't remember who makes it...

For Blade switches, I like CRL, they are positive in their contact and smooth/quiet operating. 3 Way toggles I like the open leaf type that AllParts sells that are not made by Switchcraft. I don't remember who makes them, but they are nice to wire and work with, and good solid contact.

Switchcraft jacks are my favourite.
        www.lockwireguitars.com

Comment

Thanks man, I'll see who's making the 3-ways, the DMZs I think are made my CTS although not 100% sure.

Thanks!

Comment

Hey pinto79, btw, for us non-english natives, what are the open leaf type?

Sorry for the trouble man
            Last edited by KeeperOS; 07-03-2008, 04:28 PM.

Comment

I can vouch for Dimarzio parts and cables. Here's their hardware catalog.

Comment

Thanks man, although for cables I'm set, Evidence

Comment

Originally posted by KeeperOS View Post
                  Thanks man, although for cables I'm set, Evidence
                  Awesome! I just became an Evidence reseller a few weeks ago!

Comment

The best electronic parts are in Hartford.
                    Gravity...its just a theory

Comment

Originally posted by SixStringSales View Post
                      Awesome! I just became an Evidence reseller a few weeks ago!
                      Excellent!

Comment

Originally posted by KeeperOS View Post
                        Hey pinto79, btw, for us non-english natives, what are the open leaf type?

Sorry for the trouble man
                        I was referring to the kind of switch where you can see the contacts rather than the ones that are an enclosed box.

This one:

www.lockwireguitars.com

Comment

I've always liked the pots that japanese Tokais use the best. Sadly I don't know what brand they are. I've also had a couple of DiMarzio push-pull ones and they were very good as well. Switchcraft jacks are also good.
                          There are two kinds of people in this world that go around beardless—boys and women, and I am neither one

Comment

Originally posted by pinto79 View Post
                            I was referring to the kind of switch where you can see the contacts rather than the ones that are an enclosed box.

This one:

Ah yeah, due to space restrains (the controls cavity is rather tight) using SG-style 3-ways was out of the question and I kinda feel that the enclosed type (like the one I have now) are cheaply made so I was going for that one from the start.

Great minds and all that huh?

Now about Japanese Tokais, I just hope I could even have access to playing one, sadly that is not an option here...

*Sigh*, I just wish Taylor would sell their pots/electronics as aftermarket parts, then my search would be over like THAT...

Comment

pots: CTS
                              Caps: Hovland or Sprague Orange Drop
                              Switches: Switchcraft
                              "Metal just isn't a casual thing ya know? Like, you'll never hear a guy be like 'Oh yea i was into slayer...one summer'. No, i've never met that guy. I've only met the guy that has SLAYER carved across his chest in blood."
                              -Rob Zombie

Comment

Working...
                              X