This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gibson Last straw...

Every single one of my guitars is an investment.

If I can't make money on it, I won't buy it.

Comment

Every single one of my guitars is an investment.

If I can't make money on it, I won't buy it.
      Dats dem bombshell news doodz...
      Too me those planks are still just friggin tools.

Comment

And speaking of tools...

$3250 for a protractor
        $325 for a wrench
        $325 for a chisel set

Couldn't you just buy Chinese copies for 1/100 of the price?

[ LP Standard G0 ][ SG Standard R2 ]

Comment

Whine and moan as much as you want about Gibson, but when you play one that fits, there's not much out there that can top it.
          Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Rid View Post
            Dats dem bombshell news doodz...
            Too me those planks are still just friggin tools.
            yup, i love my guitars but i use them to make music and deflect flying beer bottles, not as investment pieces or for bragging rights, maybe as a club to wack a moron or two but its been a while since i had to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26 View Post
              Whine and moan as much as you want about Gibson, but when you play one that fits, there's not much out there that can top it.
              Yep, I found mine 20 years ago and never found anything to top it! It just fits me. It's worn and beat up and you couldn't offer me enough money to let it go...........I'll take it to the grave! Sure, they're not for everyone and thats a good thing. There's plenty of different guitars to satisfy everybodys needs. I wouldn't buy a new Gibson, too expensive. Maybe a Les Paul Jr or SG Classic. I bought mine in the late 80's for less than $600, and I bought several others that I still have and play on occasion. I love to watch them appreciate in value!

It's not just new Gibsons that go up in price every year, look around you!
              Only you can decide what "good" sounds like!
              "I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will whip the guy with twenty quick notes." ~Les Paul

Comment

Yeah, but will recent production models increase in resale value? I know they won't bring in 1/2 million dollars, but will the value of each recent production model increase each year - just like the "new" price goes up every year?
                If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

Originally posted by TheLivingDead
                DON'TGETMADBRO

Comment

Originally posted by lex666 View Post
                  Yeah, but will recent production models increase in resale value?
                  If they follow the trend of Norlins, yes.
                  *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
                  Originally posted by Slash2987
                  Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
                  Originally posted by PVFan
                  I'm a good sex man.
                  Originally posted by Grumpy
                  I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
                    Yeah i don't like Gibson as a company. I read they're currently owned by two Harvard graduate lawyers...so it makes sense they're just trying to appeal to money.
                    And Gibson was financially gone when Henry bought it.
                    Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
                    I'm a good sex man.

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                      Ill dig up the ad tommorrow.. It appears to be Korina or natural anyhow, has a Bigsby and a tacky little black plastic signplate with white letters stuck on the front that says Custom model
                      Those "tacky little black plastic signplates" were to cover up the tailpiece stud holes.
                      I'm a good sex man.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                        It's probably an original '58-60. They made less than 100 of them and they go for insane prices on the collector market. In terms of rarity, there are 10-20 bursts for each original Explorer.
                        If memory serves, there were about 20 of the original Explorers made, and around 100 Flying V's in 1958. Both flopped within months & were discontinued. An original Explorer is about as rare as a production guitar as there is, and priced accordingly. $600,000 shouldn't come as a surprise.

I think there were 1,700 burst made, 1958-1960.
                        "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                        "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Don t get me wrong..
                          1) Gibson guitars can be great.. I LOVE mine.

2)Yes, everything is going up in price.. Gas sure is... But it seems they go up just to milk the market. Quality seems to be in decline. Most of the standards and above Ive played have felt like they have poor fit and finish. Except the $4000 big ticket ones. Its Like the only ones they care about are the "collectable pieces".

3) I have no qualms with the old rare ones appreciating. Good ..

My beef is with the fact that it just seems they arent about players anymore. even the ad I saw was "collect me". And as I said, most that Ive played lately that the shops will let me touch without filling out a financial affidavit, have felt like they were skimped on..

Yes, I know there are some factors. Better wood, US employees get more money, but think about it...
                          You can get a Shecter, Mahogany with mahog set neck, Grover, tone pros, Duncan or EMGS with better fit and finish for 1/4 -1/2 the price.
                          I know there are differences, I have and have played both. But is there $2000 difference in just the wood?
                          I have a Micheal Kelly that is mahog/mahog neck, Real maple cap (flame veneer over it) Abalone inlays, EBONY board, great frets, grovers, tone pros bridge and tail, quality pickups. It plays great, sounds great. ( several people have even told me it sounds better than my Gibson) The neck doesnt have the hand cut waves down the sides. The wires inside were neatly bundled with a zip tie and cavity shielded. These can be had for $399 boys and girls..
                          Not going to appreciate, but I can play the hell out of it and not worry I might sweat on it..

A ugly Zakk Wylde V for $4500???? Need I say any more???
                          Last edited by BloodRose; 07-08-2008, 12:47 PM.
                          Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

sorry ya'll.. That turned into a full on rant... Im feeling much better now....
                            Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Thanks goodness for
                              Edwards
                              Burny
                              Bacchus
                              Tokai

Most manufacturers increase a little bit each year.
                              Maybe $50 or so.

But, between the March M.F. catalog and the July M.F. catalog the Gibby LP Standard '50 has went from $2299 to $2529.

That's a $230 increase.

The LP Classic has increased by $290.
                              Last edited by kherman; 07-08-2008, 01:20 PM.
                              sigpic
                              http://www.heddatheband.com

New HEDDA CD now available:
                              http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/hedda2

HEDDA video:
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-LuSksz-J8

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                                Yes, I know there are some factors. Better wood, US employees get more money, but think about it...You can get a Shecter, Mahogany with mahog set neck, Grover, tone pros, Duncan or EMGS with better fit and finish for 1/4 -1/2 the price. I know there are differences, I have and have played both. But is there $2000 difference in just the wood?
                                I really don't think their wood, frets, and finish are worth $2,000 or $3,000, and I don't think you'd see the average guitarist paying that for a stripped-down Gibson. But if the hardware & PU's are worth around $300, you're paying the difference for the wood.

Maybe the poor economy will bring Gibson back to reality in their pricing.
                                "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                                "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                                "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Working...
                                X