Pedals vs Amp Distortion Put To The Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pedals vs Amp Distortion Put To The Test

Maybe UberMetalDood will chime in since he posted this thread originally.

Comment

Understood bro and no hard feelings meant by my post.

I also think that someone's tone that does it for them and speaks to them can come from a pedal. Perfect example is mt buddy who has about 12 medium gain to high gain amps at home. His choice of rig, the one that speaks to him is a modded distortion pedal into an old Marshall set clean. Works for him. I have seen them live and his tone is amazing. Hey it works for him, just like my Shiva works for me.

Also I never liked the Rectifiers till the new Reborn model came out. I love this one however. Also love the Electra Dyne! Next on my list is a Splawn, Cornford or Soldano.

Comment

I'll use pedal distortion for convenience. I have a single channel amp. If I play a clean song with some distortion, I drop the gain on my amp to get it crystal clear, then stomp on my Keeley for the distorted parts. I'll drop the volume on my guitar a lot to clean up, but if I want real sparkling clean, I gotta do it that way with the amp controls.
        Originally posted by grumptruck
        No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
        Originally posted by Gear Used
        PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
        Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
        Mesa Stiletto Ace
        Gurus 5015
        Mesa Widebody 1X12
        Pedalboard

Comment

I'm guessing it would save alot of effort and time for setting up post distortion fx, you wouldn't need as many cables.
          The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

I for one haven't found a pedal that gives me the tone and sustain of true amp overdrive that I like. It's personal preference. Same goes with the solid state/tube debate. I think tubes are better but many guitarists would say the contrary.
            Originally posted by TheLivingDead
            H-S guitars with floyds make me erect.
            Originally posted by jcthejester13
            I'm pretty sure it's like nailing twins. They are identical but feel totally different.

Comment

I like the sound of an overdriven amp and no pedals...but I also have an addiction to variety and options (hence my liking of the P-Rails). I appreciate having pedals to get different effected tones and usually get my clipping from them instead of the amp. Not that the amp distortion doesn't sound good, it's just that when I'm using other effects I prefer to have the clipping in a different location of the chain. When using amp distortion you don't have much choice as to where you put it.

Comment

If I had tons of money and a road crew I would much rather have several amps set exactly how I would need them, one clean, one blazing, and the others set in between. Since I don't have that luxury I just like having one great sounding clean tube amp with 3 or more dirt boxes in front of it, now I'm using 2 OD's and a Fuzz and with that combo I can get an incredibly wide range of tones suitable for anything I need to play.
                Gear:
                Fender '03 CIJ Antigua Strat
                Epi Dot Natural
                Partscaster blackie
                Breedlove Passport Mahogany
                VOX V845 -> MXR Blue Box -> Boss CS-3 -> MXR Phase 90 -> Paul C. Tim OD -> Fulltone Plimsoul -> Boss CE-3 -> EHX Memory Toy -> SD Deja Vu Delay >
                Marshall Artist 30 4202 or Bugera V5

I WORK FOR GC, IF YOU NEED A DEAL PM ME!!!

Comment

I became a believer in distortion pedals when I got my Boss Power Stack.

Comment

Originally posted by mwalluk View Post
                    I'll use pedal distortion for convenience.
                    please tell me you don't do this with the deliverance.

Comment

Originally posted by thespricket View Post
                      If I had tons of money and a road crew I would much rather have several amps set exactly how I would need them, one clean, one blazing, and the others set in between. Since I don't have that luxury I just like having one great sounding clean tube amp with 3 or more dirt boxes in front of it, now I'm using 2 OD's and a Fuzz and with that combo I can get an incredibly wide range of tones suitable for anything I need to play.
                      Amen!

Comment

I've had many 2 channel amps and they never made me happy. I couldn't stand that the channels are usually voiced differently. For my lead sound I just want to add a little more gain and volume to my rhythm sound. An ideal 2 channel amp for me would be both channels sounding exactly the same. I've had better results running a couple of overdrives into a clean amp. Currently I'm using a single channel Cornford Roadhouse with a boost function. The boost sounds better than I can ever imagine a pedal sounding.

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
                          please tell me you don't do this with the deliverance.
                          My main distortion is my D60. Wouldn't got the amp if that wasn't the case. I do however, when I need crystal clear spring water, cool breeze on a warm summer night cleans drop all the amount gain close to zero. I've found I can get a decent cleaned up sound dialing down on my guitar volume, but I still have a lil bite. So for a song when I need absolute clean, I do it this way and use a tubescreamer or my Keeley DS1 for distortion (until all clean is over and I can tweak my amp).
                          Originally posted by grumptruck
                          No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
                          Originally posted by Gear Used
                          PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
                          Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
                          Mesa Stiletto Ace
                          Gurus 5015
                          Mesa Widebody 1X12
                          Pedalboard

Comment

Originally posted by mwalluk View Post
                            My main distortion is my D60. Wouldn't got the amp if that wasn't the case. I do however, when I need crystal clear spring water, cool breeze on a warm summer night cleans drop all the amount gain close to zero. I've found I can get a decent cleaned up sound dialing down on my guitar volume, but I still have a lil bite. So for a song when I need absolute clean, I do it this way and use a tubescreamer or my Keeley DS1 for distortion (until all clean is over and I can tweak my amp).
                            ah!

Comment

I was messing with this question again the last few weeks. I have come to the point where I really like the Marshall Silver Jubilee and don't really want to play anything else for distortion. I tryed putting a pedal in front of my JTM45 but I really like the that amp straight in: Guitar> loud amp>speakers. Pedals left me cold. I have tried some pedals but I havn't found one that holds a candle to the Jub. Maybe I havn't found the right pedal but that's the problem with pedals I guess. And why bother?

Comment

This is a very old post. I came across it and felt it good to bump for anyone who missed it, rather than a new thread when this one already has so much meat.

I have found d I like both equally, depending on the configuration and what I am going for at the time. It took me a while to accept that pedals can be just as good as a good amp.

Also, I agree their are pedals that excel at one thing over the other, meaning into a clean amp or with gain, but somw of the best are those pedals that do both equally well. These are my favorites.

Originally posted by Eamonn View Post
                                When talking about OD boxes it's very important to know that they fall into two very different categories: the type that goes in front of a clean amp (Boss OD-1 type), and the type that goes in front of an overdriven amp (Tube screamer type). A Maxxon OD-9 won't sound all that good in front of a clean amp because that is not what it is designed for. In front of an overdriven sound though...it can't be beat.

Comment

Working...
                                X