Look what came my way...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Look what came my way...

I wanted a Heartbreaker so bad when they came out...by the time I had the money, they quit making them. I ended up with a Tremoverb, which was OK, I guess.

That is a beautiful amp, you have there...congrats.
    Originally posted by tone4days
    we're not musicians, we're beer salesmen

Comment

I would highly recommend trying to find one! They are well worth the hype they made back in the day!

Comment

Nice amp

The Mesa part doesn't matter quite as much to me, as they're just not my kind of amp. You could slide a Gorilla in that cab and I'd still be drooling!!
        - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
        Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
        The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

or a Pignose?

Comment

Originally posted by _Guitarzan_ View Post
            or a Pignose?
            Zappa used a Pignose. That's instant cool.
            Originally posted by ImmortalSix
            I am just jug the merlot

Comment

or even a Marshall MS-2!

Comment

Originally posted by cream123 View Post
                dude....NICE! i love the look of that thing and i've played one on numerous ocassions and was gonna buy one but alas, it was gone. anyways....its a great amp. maybe you don't get jealous....but i do.
                I'm learning my lessons about Jealousy... It's not worth it.

Comment

Love it. I'm a mesa fan through and through now. Did you pay an arm and a leg for it, or was it the right price at the right time?

My stiletto trident couldn't have been a much better deal and the sounds it can produce make me wonder why I still have other amps.
                  Some of my current gear:

Wolfgang standard, Deluxe Strat HSS
                  SG Angus
                  Epi Les Paul w/ Dimarzio Air nort/Tone zone
                  Ibanez Blazer ('80) P.Gates/'59
                  Mesa Stiletto Trident
                  Various Pedals @ any given time

Comment

Believe it or not a good friend of mine bought it new back in '98 played one gig with it and set it in his garage for nearly 10 years. He is more of a Matchless/Bogner type so he claims he never "bonded" with it. I've been hounding him for the past two years to sell it to me. Finally he gave in and I paid what I felt it was worth and we are both happy.

Comment

Originally posted by guitfiddle View Post
                      Nice amp

The Mesa part doesn't matter quite as much to me, as they're just not my kind of amp. You could slide a Gorilla in that cab and I'd still be drooling!!
                      :drool:

Comment

hahahahahahaha

When the going gets tough And the stomach acids flow
                        The cold wind of conformity Is nipping at your nose
                        When some trendy new atrocity Has brought you to your knees
                        Come with us we'll sail the Seas of Cheese

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Originally posted by ratherdashing View Post
                            That's interesting, because the big low end and tight gain on those tracks screams Mesa to me. That said, the tone is very much secondary to the songwriting and arrangements, IMO, which are superb.

I got this info from an interview I read back in the day btw.
                            Until I had an idea of what Soundgarden were actually using, I always thought they were using really hotted-up and glassy sounding Marshalls. I listened to Superunknown in the car today and it reminded me again how elusive there tone was. I would say that the guitars played a big part in it. Gretsch, Guild, Gibson and Fender. Vintage style guitars going into modern high-gain amps. Just like Jeff Buckley going into a Dual Recto Tremoverb. Would have never guessed he would have ever used a Mesa.

I can't verify the credibilty of the wiki article on Kim Thayil but it does have an extensive list of the gear he used:

Gear

Early years

Guitars: Guild S-100
                            Amplifier: Bass Ampeg mesa boogie w/15" speaker
                            Effects: Jim Dunlop Crybaby wah, MXR chorus

Badmotorfinger

Guitars: Guild S-100, Gibson Les Paul Custom Lite, Gibson Firebird
                            Amplifiers: Peavey VTM-120, Music Man HD130, Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
                            Effects: To get the heavy sound in studio, many guitar tracks were layered and panned to add the body that was lacking from previous albums.

Superunknown

Guitars: Guild S-100, Gibson Les Paul, Fender Telecaster, Gibson SG
                            Amplifiers: Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifiers, Mesa Boogie 50-watt Mavericks, an old Fender Super, a Fender Princeton, Fender Twin Reverbs and Vibro-Kings, and an old Orange head.
                            Effects: Intellitronics LA-2 and Summit DIs. (To get him to play most comfortably, Thayil's living room couch was brought into the studio, as per an article published in the May 1994 issue of Guitar World)

Down on the Upside

Guitars: Guild S-100, Diet Gibson Les Paul, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gibson SG.
                            Amplifiers: Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifiers
                            Effects: Jim Dunlop Crybaby wah, Colorsound wah, Jim Dunlop Rotovibe, Mu-Tron
                            No mention of a Heartbreaker but I don't doubt that him and Chris could have used one. The Mesa Mavericks seem more like what my ears are hearing on their last two albums. That amp was apparently an earlier attempt by Mesa to mimmick a Plexi style sound. I also find a little bit hard to believe that Down On The Upside was entirely Dual Rectifier.
                            Last edited by Animal; 08-13-2008, 01:00 AM.

Comment

OMG! I just put some NOS RCA 6V6's in this thing. I'm speechless.....It's now the ultra refined kick ass Princeton.

Comment

I love this thing!

Comment

Working...
                                X