banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Well Part XXXVII - We're gonna turn the well over to Aceman - SHOCK ME!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Well Part XXXVII - We're gonna turn the well over to Aceman - SHOCK ME!

Originally posted by jimmy View Post
    Okay, so, if you don't love them, and if you don't hate them, how did you get into a fight with The Fire Guy?

Are you saying that I forced you guys to fight?
    He took an extreme stance - I usually react to those sorts of positions.

and no - you did not force it.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
      On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd say about an 8. The tough part was not the content of the work, it was the unbelievable amount of BS that surrounded it. The amount of time it takes really varies by degree. An MBA can be done in a year, but it's mostly more classes. A Neuroscience degree can take around 12 - but all you have to do there is understand the brain and create new information about how it works. The standard in my field was 6 or 7 years. There is the "myth" that it takes 4 years to get a PhD. I don't know anyone who did that - or it's rare. And some could be faster! as I said though - it wasn't the work - I really enjoyed that. The "Tenured Professor" is not a really accountable creature though. They tend to do what they do, for better or worse, and much of it is very self-foccused.

As for usually - not that there is one: Apply to program be accepted. 2 years to the master's thesis (written document). Then a comprehensive exam (although my "comps" were a review paper). The another two or three years of dissertation work. More classes at the master's level, more independent work for the dissertation.

It's respected anywhere, as only about 1/2 of 1% have them! That said it may or may not be taken seriously as it could have little to do with the topic at hand. My degree actually has a lot to do with what I do, so I guess it carries some weight. There is always the Theory vs application issue though. The idea that "Yeah - they are book smart but can they actually..."

It doesn't translate to massive amounts of cash. Masters is as high as you need to go there. One of the tough things for me to finish was that I realized the organization didn't care if I did that or not. They valued the skills I had - not the paper. So motivation to deal with BS was a big deal. My wife really helped there!
      Ok, thanks for the detailed answer!

The reason I asked is as I'm about to complete my masters's degree this year and I've been thinking if I should go for the PhD after it. I'd probably enjoy working on it but I'm not sure if it's preferable to other career options, especially if it may not pay for in the end. Although I'd love the fancy hat and the sense of accomplishment, the business world may be afraid of hiring me and may actually see me in a worse light like you mentioned about theory vs. application. The academic line of work, on the other hand, absolutely requires that I have the doctorate in order to work there. So I don't know yet.
      There are two kinds of people in this world that go around beardless—boys and women, and I am neither one

Comment

i have often been curious what it is like for folks trained and practicing in your field to interact with folks in the world at large given your ability to recognize ... ummm .. suboptimal behaviour ... on the one hand, i could imagine that you see the world thru the filter of your professional experience and can't help but 'diagnose' folks that you interact with for an extended period of time ... on the other hand, i can imagine that the amount of data is too overwhelming and you just have to go thru life going thru life without the extra step of analysis

and not just for yourself - do you have a sense of what your colleagues are like in this regard?

cheers
        t4d
        gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Could you clarify the boobie test for me? I remember it being mentioned in the past but can't remember what exactly it is....

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
            He took an extreme stance - I usually react to those sorts of positions.

and no - you did not force it.
            Ah, ha! So I was right all along!

Do you know what that means?
            This space is for rent.

Comment

be honest...are you truly a KISS fan?
              Buy My Neck!!!

Stage3-1

Comment

I still wait for your "LP" shred to compete any Superstrat shredder!
                Will it come someday?

Are you trully a Doctor in your soul.Is there any day you just don't want to touch ,consult or get close to people?
                www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque

Comment

Do you have a picture of Ace Frehley next to your PhD? You know, to remind yourself of your roots?
                  Facebook - My facebook page
                  Kemo For Emo - My band. Now verified on Facebook & Spotify!

Comment

How old where you when you first got in to KISS and what was the first song that your heard from them that got you hooked (usually it is or was the very first song heard...lol).

What is your favorite pickup combo in your Les Pauls? (I prob know this already...lol)

How many times have you seen KISS live in concert and when?

BTW, nice Well title.

Comment

Originally posted by tone4days View Post
                      i have often been curious what it is like for folks trained and practicing in your field to interact with folks in the world at large given your ability to recognize ... ummm .. suboptimal behaviour ... on the one hand, i could imagine that you see the world thru the filter of your professional experience and can't help but 'diagnose' folks that you interact with for an extended period of time ... on the other hand, i can imagine that the amount of data is too overwhelming and you just have to go thru life going thru life without the extra step of analysis

and not just for yourself - do you have a sense of what your colleagues are like in this regard?

cheers
                      t4d
                      I am not a therapist, and am not trained in that field. My focus was on Cognition - skill aquisition, learning, problem solving, decision making. You'd have to ask Lesstrat for a good answer to that. That said...

I do know way more than the average bear, or even undergrad Psych major. I generally don't get to deep about people with issues. I generally consider them "wacky" "wingnuts" or just plane "broken/damaged." I can generally call a disorder pretty ccurately though. I really try to avoid people with issues. I mostly focus on the aspects of people I like (just like everyone else.)

I actually wonder sometimes how people survive without knowing this stuff. It makes it a lot easier to understand the how's and why's of people. Just really makes one a bit more accepting. Unless you are a total loon....

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                        Could you clarify the boobie test for me? I remember it being mentioned in the past but can't remember what exactly it is....
                        Here is the original post:

Also - why not to come here for help NOT to buy!

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy View Post
                          Ah, ha! So I was right all along!

Do you know what that means?
                          That you were right all along. Now go find a boobie test-passing 70's LP.

Comment

Originally posted by SonofaMitch View Post
                            be honest...are you truly a KISS fan?
                            I'm not sure what you mean by truly - so yes.

Comment

Originally posted by daemon barbeque View Post
                              I still wait for your "LP" shred to compete any Superstrat shredder!
                              Will it come someday?

Are you trully a Doctor in your soul.Is there any day you just don't want to touch ,consult or get close to people?
                              Bring the shred-fest. I'll be playing the 79.

I'm really a bull-elk in my soul. There are no days I don't want to do those things - but it mostly applies to rainmaker-post looking chics.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake View Post
                                Do you have a picture of Ace Frehley next to your PhD? You know, to remind yourself of your roots?
                                I actually don't have any Ace photos any more. I'm always casually looking for the right moment to slip an Ace poster from my youth back into my possession, and up on the wall. The wife isn't buying the "it's a classic" line.

Comment

Working...
                                X