No announcement yet.

Anyone tried the pearly gates for tele?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone tried the pearly gates for tele?

Originally posted by MultiCaster View Post
    I just installed one in a Tele bridge with the Vintage Rail middle and Gibson Mini Humbucker neck pickup. I still have to put in the controls. I'll update this when It's done.
    Sounds like a winning combination. Anxious to hear the results!
    Guitars:
    2017 Epiphone dot
    2007 Fender Strat (Andrew Robertson Pickups "Black strat set")
    2015/19 Fender fat telecaster
    (Andrew robertson pickups broadcaster/ Duncan 59n)

Peavey Classic 50 head/ Peavey Classic 410e cab

Comment

Originally posted by Mcearlock View Post
      Sounds like a winning combination. Anxious to hear the results!
      Ok, the Pearly Gates bridge for Tele is a winner! It ventures from the vintage sound to a Classic Rock and great Modern Country sound. I A/B'd it with the Duncan Vintage Stack and there is a very distinct departure. The EQ seems fairly level and it is definately an organic A5 sound. I plan to A/B it with a Lil 59 but from memory the Lil 59 has much more highs, twang and ceramic sizzle. Despite the 17K of the PG, it seems medium output and tame.

Comment

Ah, thanks for getting back. I've been waiting with baited breath.

Real question is, does it distinctly capture any of the Pearly vibe?

Comment

Originally posted by Mononoaware View Post
          Ah, thanks for getting back. I've been waiting with baited breath.

Real question is, does it distinctly capture any of the Pearly vibe?
          Actually yes, but I do not hear the issue of too much high end some complain about. It is definately not sterile and has some grind. Not ice picky or dull. At 17.6k, it is surprisingly not compressed. I still want to do a side by side with the Lil 59 but am satisfied that the PG is much better as it should be considering it is a CS model.

Comment

Very interesting and it uses alnico 5 magnets not ceramic unlike most Lil pickups. I wonder how much of the TWANG flavor remains...
            sigpic
            Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
            JFG Flying V,
            "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
            John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Comment

have you tried a real pearly gates to compare it to?

Comment

I believe the humbucker PG is an A2 mag too, not an A5 like this Tele-sized PG seems to be.
                Do YOU get ToneWoodys? Then go to WoodyTone.com!

And check out my NEW blog too: AmpGAS!

Popular WoodyTone blog posts:
                > Is the New EVH Pickup ‘the’ Pickup? Sorta!
                > Review: EVH Frankie Pickup Worth Every Penny

Comment

yeah, thats correct, but the design of the pup is so different its like comparing an orange to a pear. im just curious how much pg flavor is in the pg for tele

Comment

Originally posted by Jocelyn View Post
                    Very interesting and it uses alnico 5 magnets not ceramic unlike most Lil pickups. I wonder how much of the TWANG flavor remains...
                    Not much of the Twang remains.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                      have you tried a real pearly gates to compare it to?
                      I have heard plenty in other guitars but not in a Tele bridge. I have not owned a full size PG except in the neck position. I have the PG neck in two guitars that I like very much. This PG for Tele bridge is the best sounding SD I have found for my tastes and I have tried all but the Hot Rails Tele Bridge. If I want vintage sound, I grab the 52 reissue with Alnico 3 pickups.

Comment

So is the PG worth it for twice the amount of a normal pickup. I'm thinkin of ordering one. I know I don't need a metal sound, so I'm not getting hotrails, but is it significantly better than L59B? I just want a versatile, warm bridge pickup that I might set up for splitting. I'm thinking of putting a strat neck 59 in too. Any advice would be sweet.

thnks

"edit"

And I'm pretty new to guitar, so any pointers on anything would be helpful.

Comment

...hello all.....newbie to this forum....I'd love to try the PG in a tele esquire (one is sitting right here on my bench as I type...) I'm looking for a thread to a schematic similar to the Bolin Super Model.....1 pickup/vol/tone.....I have no idea what direction to take as I've never messed with the Super....any help out there........thanks, and I must say I've been reading some great posts on this forum (til 3 AM last night!).....Wirenut out......

Comment

Originally posted by WisconsinCheese View Post
                            So is the PG worth it for twice the amount of a normal pickup. I'm thinkin of ordering one. I know I don't need a metal sound, so I'm not getting hotrails, but is it significantly better than L59B? I just want a versatile, warm bridge pickup that I might set up for splitting. I'm thinking of putting a strat neck 59 in too. Any advice would be sweet.

thnks

"edit"

And I'm pretty new to guitar, so any pointers on anything would be helpful.
                            I'd say the PG for Tele bridge is versatile and warm opposed to the Lil59 being twangy but still a good rock sound. I also like the Cool Rail for Strat in the neck position.

I would wire for the option to put both pickups in parallel as opposed to splitting in the case of the mini buckers. Full size humbuckers I would split and use ArtieToo's coil swap.

Comment

During the last couple songs of the ZZ Top Live fom Texas DVD that came out last year, Billy G plays a custom Tele that I believe has the lil PG.

It sounds, well// like Billy Gibbons! - definitely captures that Pearly Gates sound. The majority of the DVD, he's playing Gretsch Billy Bo's which frankly sound silmilar to his Tele.. which means the Rev's fingers and amps are a big factor in his sound.

If the lil PG is anything like the Lil 59 for the Tele, it's a cool pickup. Th
                              The Band:
                              www.myspace.com/hawkandroll

Comment

I just found a clip of LaGrange on YouTube with the guitar you are talking about. Sounds pretty darn good. Check out this bridge mount. Pretty unusual, to say the least.
                                Last edited by BigJoe77; 03-12-2009, 06:38 PM.
                                "If I wasn’t a musician, I’d probably play the drums." - Clay Cook

Comment

Working...
                                X