Likes Likes:  0

Thread: $250 budget for Strat pup set...which one?

Default $250 budget for Strat pup set...which one?

I know there are alot of choices out there and thats why i`m confused. Looking for the sweetest classic/vintage sounds from the neck & middle with a hotter bridge for overdrive. Oh,and i`m not into the noiseless pups. Ok....go!

Asshatologist

Default Re: $250 budget for Strat pup set...which one?

*deleted humbucker related comments... plus everyone is chiming in with better choices anyways lol*

I am going for a Wilde 298/200/200 set and when the l-45's get released... I'll get one for the bridge... At the prices Bill and Becky offer you can have expendable pickups... Now if they hurry up and call me back. (called Thursday... Holiday might have messed me up there)... I need noiseless pickups. VERY noisy rig and noisy PA system at church.
    Last edited by grumptruck; 09-03-2008 at 07:31 AM. Reason: *deleted humbucker related comments... plus everyone is chiming in with better choices anyways lol*

Lewguitar

Antiquity:

neck: Surfer RW/RP neck/middle
    middle: Surfer neck/middle
    bridge: Texas Hot Custom

If you go with this set, you'll need to reverse the black and white wires when you solder the bridge pickup to the switch.

And install the RW/RP labeled pickup in the neck position...not the middle.

Then everything will be in phase and you'll have humcancelling when the pickup in the middle is combined with the neck and/or bridge pickup.

the cheaper version would be ssl1 neck and middle with a twangbanger in the bridge but if you can swing it the antiquitys are extra sweet

Im a big fan of SSL1 neck and middle with an SSL5 in the bridge for the classic strat sound with a hot bridge. I havent used the antiquities for strat yet though...so they may be even better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty Pockets View Post
    yngwie sounds like an orchestra of cartoon bees.

Showmasterologist Robert Delahunt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moonsorrow View Post
    I know there are alot of choices out there and thats why i`m confused. Looking for the sweetest classic/vintage sounds from the neck & middle with a hotter bridge for overdrive. Oh,and i`m not into the noiseless pups. Ok....go!
    Sweet Classic / Vintage sounds, to me, are the Alnico II Pro Staggered (or Flat, depending on your fretboard radius). I have a couple in my Fender Lite Ash Stratocaster and I love it!

If you want a hotter bridge for overdrive, however, you're probably saying something hotter than the Alnico II Pro Staggered/Flat. I can't help you there, sorry.
    My Website || My Music
    Quote Originally Posted by US Declaration of Independence
    ... are endowed by their CREATOR with certain unalienable rights....
    Gear: Boss ME70, Ovation CC44, ESP EC-1000FM, Fender Twin Reverb, Fender Pro Junior, Fender Showmaster FMT HH

Lewguitar

Quote Originally Posted by scottish View Post
    Im a big fan of SSL1 neck and middle with an SSL5 in the bridge for the classic strat sound with a hot bridge. I havent used the antiquities for strat yet though...so they may be even better.
    That's what the Antiquity is: even better. The SSL-1's are superb. The Surfer is very similar but even better: Super Superb! Mo texture, mo complexity, mo mojo - just think "mo" of what we love about vintage Strat pickups!

IMO, the Surfer is better than any genuine 50's Strat pickups I've owned (I've owned a real '54 Strat and a real '57 Strat) and the equal or better of any '62 or '63 Strat pickups I've owned or lived with. (I own a real '63 Strat and my step brother owned a real '62 that i used to play all the time.)

The Surfer is based on the '62 Strat pickup, which is usually hotter and "better" than those from the 50's or years other than '62 or '63.

BTW, SRV's Strat was probably mostly a '63 or '62.

Lew

Ultimate Tone Slacker NoOnesFang13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lewguitar View Post
    That's what the Antiquity is: even better. The SSL-1's are superb. The Surfer is very similar but even better: Super Superb! Mo texture, mo complexity, mo mojo - just think "mo" of what we love about vintage Strat pickups!

IMO, the Surfer is better than any genuine 50's Strat pickups I've owned (I've owned a real '54 Strat and a real '57 Strat) and the equal or better of any '62 or '63 Strat pickups I've owned or lived with. (I own a real '63 Strat and my step brother owned a real '62 that i used to play all the time.)

The Surfer is based on the '62 Strat pickup, which is usually hotter and "better" than those from the 50's or years other than '62 or '63.

BTW, SRV's Strat was probably mostly a '63 or '62.

Lew
    i read somewher that srv used '59 strat pickups in a 62 strat, not sure if that is correct but just my .02

Warmoth Split Jazzmaster (Zhangbucker Crushbucker UOA5 splat, Cherrick tapped)
    Dunlop Crybaby
    MXR Custom Comp
    GFS Twin Overdrive
    Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver
    Blackstar HT-DISTX
    Seymour Duncan 84-40 (Weber Grey Wolf Light Dope)

Rant mode: ON.

To me, "what did SRV" use responses and threads get annoying to me. Unless you're trying to be an exact copy of SRV (which would be impossible because you're not SRV), just get what sounds best to you.

Beyond which, even among famous Stratocaster players, the tone they get varies a lot, due to them being different human beings and having totally different ears, rigs, and playing styles. I don't know anyone who's going to knock you because you don't sound like SRV, Gilmour, or The Edge. But I know plenty who will knock you because you are trying to sound like one of them and aren't doing a good job at it, or left out something.

So, in summary, get what sounds best to you. Alnico II Pro Staggered are (according to the guy I talked to on the phone at Seymour Duncan) the closest you can get to the Antiquity TX Hot without actually buying those pickups (however, this does not apply to the custom hotter bridge TX Antiquity). It's a thought. Otherwise, Lew is an excellent source of information, so go with what he says. But use what sounds best to you, and take the time to experiment with different pickups.

Rant mode: OFF.
    My Website || My Music
    Gear: Boss ME70, Ovation CC44, ESP EC-1000FM, Fender Twin Reverb, Fender Pro Junior, Fender Showmaster FMT HH

Ultimate Tone Slacker NoOnesFang13's Avatar

sorry if i struck a nerve, i didnt mean to, and i was not saying lew was wrong. I am 100% positive he knows more than i do about this stuff. When i called duncan they said the Texas Hots were the closet thing to a 59 strat, since i need them for my project (which is unrelated to srv or his tone)

Warmoth Split Jazzmaster (Zhangbucker Crushbucker UOA5 splat, Cherrick tapped)
    Dunlop Crybaby
    MXR Custom Comp
    GFS Twin Overdrive
    Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver
    Blackstar HT-DISTX
    Seymour Duncan 84-40 (Weber Grey Wolf Light Dope)

Thanks for all the suggestions,but i didn`t mean Seymour Duncan pups only. What about Lindy Fralin,Van Zandt,Fender Custom Shop,Rio Grande,Lollar,ect...?

Quote Originally Posted by NoOnesFang13 View Post
    sorry if i struck a nerve, i didnt mean to, and i was not saying lew was wrong. I am 100% positive he knows more than i do about this stuff. When i called duncan they said the Texas Hots were the closet thing to a 59 strat, since i need them for my project (which is unrelated to srv or his tone)
    I was only making a general statement. I have nothing against you. You didn't strike a nerve. I was just hoping we didn't get besieged by people claiming to know SRV's "secret trick" to his tone, etc, same old bull krap. It wasn't directed at anyone. Just general advice for the thread starter.
    My Website || My Music

Any other suggestions other than Seymour Duncan? (Lindy Fralin,Van Zandt,Fender, Lollar?)

Luckybastidologist bungalowbill's Avatar

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/member.php?u=1029

Click the link and tell him what you want. Excellent pickups, for a great price!
    Quote Originally Posted by tone4days View Post
    we're not musicians, we're beer salesmen

Quote Originally Posted by Moonsorrow View Post
    Any other suggestions other than Seymour Duncan? (Lindy Fralin,Van Zandt,Fender, Lollar?)
    The lollar blackface and blonde pups also hit those vinatge tones very nicely albeit they are slightly different. I personally still prefer the SSLs to either of the lollar sets though. I dont have any experience with Fralins, Van Zandts and very limited experience with fender pups.
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty Pockets View Post
    yngwie sounds like an orchestra of cartoon bees.