banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Well XLII - What have we gotten ourselves into...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Well XLII - What have we gotten ourselves into...

What did you like in Germany the most?

What did you hate in Germany the most?

You are a bit more mature than your peers ,does that effect your social life?

If you ever have a chance to live somewhere else ,which country/city would it be?
    www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque

Comment

Originally posted by daemon barbeque View Post
      What did you like in Germany the most?

What did you hate in Germany the most?

You are a bit more mature than your peers ,does that effect your social life?

If you ever have a chance to live somewhere else ,which country/city would it be?
      I liked the food and legal drinking age the most, in all honesty! The rainy weather and tons of greenery was perfect, as well... I love rain and I love trees just as much, and the Hamburg area is packed full of 'em!

Dislikes... the host family I was with was pretty lame, in all honesty. I also didn't like the exchange rate. But really, nothing about the country itself or the people there really bothered me at all. OH WAIT that whole thing about German guys shaving their armpits I just couldn't do. I got criticized for not shaving my pits... that's ridiculous.

It used to, but not so much anymore. I've learned to switch personalities a bit depending on the group I'm hanging out with. For instance with the friends I usually hangout with, I can be my mature self but definitely goof off a lot haha. With another group, I won't talk politics or theory or anything with them... it's all just about partying or music or whatever that particular group is into.

If Bend, Oregon had more people/wasn't quite so far from Portland/Seattle, it'd be ideal for me. I've been growing more fond of Southern California, in all honesty, but it's so expensive that I'm not sure I'll stay here. I'll probably stick with a suburb of Seattle or Portland.

That said, I'm going to England this winter for 2 weeks, and if I like it as much as I expect to, I might end up over there!
      www.JeffDunne.com

Comment

Great response.
        Man Arm pit shaving is laaame.Hehehe. Don't do that.Keep them trimmed but that's enough heheh.
        www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual Kevorkian View Post
          It wasn't that bad, in all honesty, and despite my untrained (at the time) ears and inexperience with recording a full band from start to finish, I think it came out pretty **** well!

Things I would've changed would be some real preproduction to hammer things out in advance, built templates for songs and do things 'properly.' I also would've liked to record drums in a real-ish studio, or at least with some better mics!

My current software/plugins/computer would've been nice, too... no technical difficulties that we had (although we didn't have all that many, IIRC)

Now... how was your experience, looking back? Be honest! I need to know what to change when I approach recording other bands. I have a feeling I was probably too metal-oriented with my approach in a lot of things.
          Interesting response. I'll sum my experience up as best I can.

Overall it came out pretty **** good, especially considering what we were working with. We had people shaking their heads in disbelief when I told them a 16 year old high school student recorded, mixed, and mastered our demo. Especially one guy who'd just spent $6000 on his demo and got an inferior sounding product.

The only thing I felt more wanting for was a bit more of a live-sounding, slightly more wet, more 3D sound out of the final product, however I think that had less to do with your skill and more with the equipment. We were (still are actually) poor and couldn't afford a studio or an engineer that would've gotten us that sound. We really maxed out what gear we had and I think the impressive attention to detail that you gave the mixes is what made the album sound as good as it did.

If you were "too metal oriented" with your approach, I certainly didn't mind and in fact I think that helped the sound.

FWIW - remember that time we were struggling with a take on something and you suggested giving it a run without a click track? I said, "Are you sure you wanna do that?" and you said, "Look, you guys are paying me to do this and it's my job to get the best take out of you that I can. If that means running without a click track, then so be it." That was a super-cool thing to say and it was cool to see you were looking at the bigger picture, which is something a good producer always does.

I learned a lot about myself as a player, too. I learned I tend to sound better with humbuckers, less gain, and more volume, for one. I walked out of those sessions a better player, IMO.

Overall, I look back on it as a way cool experience.

Comment

Ok - a serious question:

You possess a surprising amount of maturity and self-awareness for a dude your age. You're miles ahead of the great majority of your peers in your musical endeavors as well. At the same time, you maintain a certain degree of humility that belies your accomplishments.

Why do you think that is?
            -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

Originally posted by sosomething View Post
              Ok - a serious question:

You possess a surprising amount of maturity and self-awareness for a dude your age. You're miles ahead of the great majority of your peers in your musical endeavors as well. At the same time, you maintain a certain degree of humility that belies your accomplishments.

And can you make farting sounds with your hands?
              Originally posted by ImmortalSix
              I am just jug the merlot

Comment

What have you learned from other genres of music that has helped you be better at playing metal?
                Band: www.colouredanimal.com
                Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
                Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Ok - a serious question:

It's how I was raised, in all honesty. I inherited a great brain from my dad and an equally great (though totally underused) sense of compassion from my mom, and was always taught to find what I'm good at and excel as much as possible in that area. At the same time, I was never raised to be super competitive, and I think that's where whatever sense of humility I have is. I'm often aware of my proficiency in some areas that others may not have, but I'm just not competitive at all, so it's a moot point, I guess.

Originally posted by KGMESSIER View Post
                  And can you make farting sounds with your hands?
                  Nope .

Originally posted by ratherdashing View Post
                  What have you learned from other genres of music that has helped you be better at playing metal?
                  In all honesty, I think listening to pop music has helped me with structure and composition more than any metal band ever has.

Indie/alt rock bands I'd say did more for my sense melody and vocal patterns than metal, as well.

I take a lot in from classical, as far as how different melody lines will work with eachother, counterpoint, and even dynamics.
                  www.JeffDunne.com

Comment

If you could play one other instrument as well as you play guitar, what would it be?

Comment

Drums!!! There is a serious lack of great drummers in my area, and from what I've gathered on other forums, in most other areas. A good, level-headed, versatile drummer who has his technique down is priceless!
                      www.JeffDunne.com

Comment

Would you be willing to sacrifice your superior intellect in order to become a skin pounder?
                        Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                        https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
                        Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Ok, another serious question:

Would you kiss Keith?

on the mouth?

for thirty dollars?
                          -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

Originally posted by LesStrat View Post
                            Would you be willing to sacrifice your superior intellect in order to become a skin pounder?
                            I have no clue what a skin pounder is, and thus will not answer the question!

Ok, another serious question:

Would you kiss Keith?

on the mouth?

for thirty dollars?
                            Yes, maybe, and probably.
                            www.JeffDunne.com

Comment

People love to hate on the following artists... what do YOU think of them?

Yngwie

John Mayer

Coldplay

Jack Johnson

Comment

When you coming over here then? Let us know. I'll go and hide somewhere.
                                "I believe the truth is not told between 9 and 5." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Working...
                                X