No announcement yet.

Stratocasters just don't do metal!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Stratocasters just don't do metal!

Most strat players look & sound something like this :

VERY FEW look & sound like this :

Unless you fit Hot Rails, or simmilar humbuckers in a single coil spacing, most do not want to deal w the sqeeeel of a true strat S/C'er into am Hi-Gain Engl/Recto/5150III.
    Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Originally posted by Gamera View Post
      What can we do to put an end to this absurd myth?

It is true that Strat single coils, scale, materials, all lend themselves to a specific sound. And it is true that Gibson-like guitars with humbuckers, shorter scale, mahogany, more easily lend themselves to increased sustain and darker tone which are common metal characteristics.

But even after looking online at reviews for HSS and HH Strats, the consensus seems to be Strats are good for blues, some light rock, and jazz -- just don't expect to start playing anything heavy with them. Plug a ukulele into a Marshall stack or Mesa Triple Rec with the gain cranked and it'll do metal. A Strat will certainly do the same.

Everyone knows Jimi, Yngwie, Ritchie, and many others made pretty good names for themselves making heavy music with Strats. But let's say for the sake or argument a new kid is unfamiliar with these guys or consider them to be old-school. Anyone care to share some modern names or their own Strat stories of how they successfully and routinely use Strats (in any flavor, SSS, HSS, HH, Fender, Jackson, noname, whatever) to create and play heavy music? Pictures and rig descriptions welcome. Let's do what we can to set the interweb record on Strats straight!

I have tried and tried and tried to make my H-H-H Strats work for classic hard rock. I just can't get the balls and sustain I need to be heard against my band's second guitarist who is playing a Jackson with active EMG's in it. I use a Mark IV so I have enough gain.... I would rather be playing my strats but am more or less trapped with the Les Paul's which have the right sound for the style. Have been toying with the idea of trying a Schector set neck strat style guitar to play this style cause.... The upper fret access on the Les Paul sucks and the cleans are just a little more towards the dark side. I am sure.. myself as a player may be part of the reason cause I see others use them for metal (Iron Maiden) and get great results.

Comment

Originally posted by cakire82 View Post
        Tell this to all guitarists in Iron Maiden!!!
        Yea.... But the opposition may argue it takes three Strats to make metal vs a single Dimebag special

Comment

Strats are not metal!!!

And i'll tell you why.

A strat to me is the classic 6-screw trem, 3 single coil guitar. it's wicked for blues, country, classic rock, and rock.

but that characteristic strat sound is counterproductive in metal.

A super strat is not a strat. If a strat has a humbucker in it, it's not really a strat anymore. If it has a floyd or a kahler, it's not a strat. if it's got string through body and a recessed tune-a-matic, it's DEFINITELY not a strat.

so while floyd equipped, dual humbucker bolt on guitars with two cutaways in the style of a strat might resemble strats in shape, in no way do they sound like strats. Super strats are great for metal, this has been proven countless times. But they're not true strats.

You try playing a true single coil strat with a vintage bridge through a raging mesa stack, and there will be so much disgusting hum and an astounding lack of beef and punch, that you are guaranteed to put the guitar down out of sheer disgust with the sound that is being produced.

Yngwie? yeah he doesn't play metal. he plays heavily overdriven shred stuff. His tone would not stand a chance against metallica or megadeth let alone carcass or morbid angel.
          Iron maiden? I believe they all play humbuckers, and adrian smith has a floyd. not strats.
          Andreas Kisser? floyd, humbuckers. not a strat.

Face it, a true strat was not built for metal. it can't handle obscene amounts of gain. Superstrats were built for metal and they can handle obscene amounts of gain, but they're not strats! they're superstrats!

Comment

Originally posted by BRHGM View Post
            Richie Blackmore and Jeff Beck play single coil strats. So does Eric Johnson. Jimmy Page has played a strat or two. Although Yngwe plays stacked coil singles, he started out playing single coil strats. So strats can do metal.
            There is blues based hard rock and progressive rock and that's one story, but none of these players you mentioned play or played modern metal which I think the original argument is about. If I were covering any of these guys and I do cover some of them, the Strat works great, but when the other guitar player in the band is playing a Jackson with active Pups through a Deizel amp, well you might want to reconsider...

Comment

Originally posted by ConvoysToNothingness View Post
              Strats are not metal!!!
              A super strat is not a strat. If a strat has a humbucker in it, it's not really a strat anymore. If it has a floyd or a kahler, it's not a strat. if it's got string through body and a recessed tune-a-matic, it's DEFINITELY not a strat.
              I respectfully disagree because my two HHH Strats and my HH Tele still retain their twangy signature sound. To a lesser degree, but undeniably present.

Comment

do you have vintage bridges on them? cuz I find that's the biggest culprit in making that strat sound.

my strat has a DMZ fast track 2 in it, and it still sounds mostly like a strat because of the vintage bent saddles and the trem.

Comment

Originally posted by ConvoysToNothingness View Post

Yngwie? yeah he doesn't play metal. he plays heavily overdriven shred stuff. His tone would not stand a chance against metallica or megadeth let alone carcass !

LP Jr with a P90 is not a Strat, but also not much of a "metal machine."

As for Strats not doing metal, I always post this one:

Kirk Hammett is playing a Strat in the video for One.

I may not be a fan of Strats, but they can be used for metal.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
                  @ArizonaVoters

Comment

I just plugged a stock Tele tuned to open C into my Vox Tonelab. Doesn't sound as crushing as a Dimarzio D-Sonic, but the bridge single coil does give me a really good thrash sound.

Twitter:
                    @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Much of sabbath's first album, strat, and the root of metal.

Jason
                      <--- these guys fight, so we can enjoy large tracts of land

Comment

Originally posted by guitarded View Post
                        I respectfully disagree because my two HHH Strats and my HH Tele still retain their twangy signature sound. To a lesser degree, but undeniably present.
                        I agree with you to disagree. My HSS Strat with ebony fretoard and maple cap still sounds Stratty to my ears. Even with the humbucker there's a "twang" flavor to it. Compared to my V, the Strat definitely lacks a little bit of typical, chunky "heaviness" but more than makes up for this with increased clarity, less mud, and is easier to play fast.

Comment

Originally posted by guitarded View Post
                          Originally posted by Gamera View Post
                          I agree with you to disagree. My HSS Strat with ebony fretoard and maple cap still sounds Stratty to my ears. Even with the humbucker there's a "twang" flavor to it. Compared to my V, the Strat definitely lacks a little bit of typical, chunky "heaviness" but more than makes up for this with increased clarity, less mud, and is easier to play fast.
                          +1 I can hear the "twang" in my HH tele with both the antiquity and a '78.

Comment

Stratocasters just don't do metal!
                            That's exactly why I play one!
                            Trainspotter

"...the real key is a good warm delay and lots of lysergic acid diethylamid"

Comment

Who brought this dumb-ass thread back?

Comment

Originally posted by B2D View Post
                                Who brought this dumb-ass thread back?
                                My turn.

Trevor Peres of Obituary.

Looks like a Duncan in the bridge. My guess is Custom.

Twitter:
                                @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Working...
                                X