Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stratocasters just don't do metal!

Strats can do metal.
    But there are other guitars that can do it much better.

Comment

/thread, lol, it doesnt get anymore metal
      Originally posted by Empty Pockets
      yngwie sounds like an orchestra of cartoon bees.

Comment

Originally posted by Laughing Kookaburra View Post
        I Agree.

Then, kicking it in the a$$ (SD Quarter Pound)....
        Yeah, of course, a humbucker or a hot Single coil like the Qtr Pounder would work, but low output single coils I dont really think so.
        Last edited by jerryjg; 10-22-2008, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post
          I've fooled people into thinking my stock strat through a cranked tube amp was some uber-hot metal guitar.
          And it's because of how your pick hand hits the strings, and how you have your amp set.

It's kinda like most of the people who say they hate Rectifiers. They either aren't even aware of the switches on the back, don't have a tight enough technique or both.
          + a bunch.

I can understand that if you are unable to spend more than 10 seconds tweaking an amp, a Recto isn't for you. But if you dig fine tuning stuff, which an amp with a zillion knobs and switches is obviously intended for, they can sound great.
          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

There are all kinds of metal cats that play Fenders. that one dude from Slipknot, Jim Root has an awesome signature Tele. John5 plays a Tele. I had some other guys I was going to name but I can't remember them now dammit.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
              I can understand that if you are unable to spend more than 10 seconds tweaking an amp, a Recto isn't for you. But if you dig fine tuning stuff, which an amp with a zillion knobs and switches is obviously intended for, they can sound great.
              Well, they expect it to sound ultra tight with the gain almost maxed and don't realize the 'spongy' mode is on. That and they aren't aware of what Tube rectifiers do best and are probably better off with the silicon diodes.

Their comments to one of those amps dialed in just right is something along the lines of 'WHAT MODS DID YOU DO TO IT?! IT'S STOCK?! NO WAY! SETTINGS PLZ'
              The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post
                Their comments to one of those amps dialed in just right is something along the lines of 'WHAT MODS DID YOU DO TO IT?! IT'S STOCK?! NO WAY! SETTINGS PLZ'
                To which you reply "Turn the knobs until it sounds good, jackass"
                “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

To which you reply "Turn the knobs until it sounds good, jackass"
                  Yes. People need to realize that these are the only 100% effective tools to gauge whether or not it's the tone they want.

The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Comment

Originally posted by 73roadrunner View Post
                    There are all kinds of metal cats that play Fenders. that one dude from Slipknot, Jim Root has an awesome signature Tele. John5 plays a Tele. I had some other guys I was going to name but I can't remember them now dammit.
                    Yes, but take into account, Jim Root's Tele is pretty much made to sound the complete opposite of what we perceive as the classic Tele sound.
                    Honestly, a Jim Root Tele has more in common with a Charvel or Jackson super strat (super Tele perhaps?) than it does with a Fender Tele.

Comment

Originally posted by HughesJB4 View Post
                      Yes, but take into account, Jim Root's Tele is pretty much made to sound the complete opposite of what we perceive as the classic Tele sound.
                      Honestly, a Jim Root Tele has more in common with a Charvel or Jackson super strat (super Tele perhaps?) than it does with a Fender Tele.
                      Even John 5's Teles have either Hot Rails or a really hot full-size humbucker. And yeah, Root's guitars are mahogany and loaded with EMG 81/60.

Seriously, you guys who think a Strat with vintage output singles won't do metal, plug one into a high gain amp like a Soldano SLO100, Dual Recto, Bogner Uberschall or the like, tweak the knobs a bit, and listen.

Comment

I think that Kissinger dude from Sepultura plays teles and strats.

Comment

Probably a poor example, but didn't Hammett use a cream ESP 400 series for awhile w/ EMG SA's in it?
                          Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Yeah, I knew I've seen Kirk w/ a Strat before. IIRC, he used to use Vintage strats in the studio a lot as well.
                              Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Comment

I've got most of my greatest metal tones with a strat with a low output true single coil. Generally considered I'd think that it's silly to say a guitar can't do metal - it's more that an amp can't do metal. And most of those amps that aren't generally considered as metal amps can do it very very well with a suitable dirt pedal in front.

Seriously, you guys who think a Strat with vintage output singles won't do metal, plug one into a high gain amp like a Soldano SLO100, Dual Recto, Bogner Uberschall or the like, tweak the knobs a bit, and listen.
                                There are two kinds of people in this world that go around beardless—boys and women, and I am neither one

Comment

Working...
                                X