X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stratocasters just don't do metal!

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post
    Precisely!

By the way, I've done the clip. I just improvised some stuff.

No-one said I couldn't use a 4x12 though :P

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...songID=6997910
    Oh god, that is really weird.
    There is something about your playing that reminds me of my own, but I can't pinpoint exactly what it is.

Comment

On second thoughts, it might just be because I play metal too

Comment

Originally posted by HughesJB4 View Post
        Oh god, that is really weird.
        There is something about your playing that reminds me of my own, but I can't pinpoint exactly what it is.
        Hey!

That's not very nice!

j/k

The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

hahaha nice job man!
          goes to show with music pretty much any instrument can play any genre, so long as the person playing it knows what they're doing.
          a friend of mine just did his final year recital at uni, and he played a classical arrangement of black dog.....on clarinet. it was unbelievable clarinet shred!

Comment

Originally posted by Karn Evil 9 View Post
            hahaha nice job man!
            goes to show with music pretty much any instrument can play any genre, so long as the person playing it knows what they're doing.
            a friend of mine just did his final year recital at uni, and he played a classical arrangement of black dog.....on clarinet. it was unbelievable clarinet shred!
            You know that is just so true, just so true.

A friend of mine plays harp, another flute and yet another kazoo and they all can do metal just like a Strat does.

Just add enough gain and anything can do metal right?

Comment

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post
              Precisely!

By the way, I've done the clip. I just improvised some stuff.

No-one said I couldn't use a 4x12 though :P

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...songID=6997910
              Thanks for the clip.

I thought you were going to use a Strat for the clip - not a Clarinet.

Nice playing though.

Comment

Haha, you guys crack me up.

Glad you liked it.

By the way... it's a bassoon.
                The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Comment

Originally posted by wanmei1 View Post
                  You know that is just so true, just so true.

A friend of mine plays harp, another flute and yet another kazoo and they all can do metal just like a Strat does.

Just add enough gain and anything can do metal right?
                  but JUST enough gain... while total saturation is desirable for those big, forever-sustaining leads you have to get it just right with metal rhythm guitar.

You see... too much and you get noise, fizzy top end and muddy bass... too little and the palm mutes just don't 'chunk' enough.

If you're doing fast solos with lots of notes, try and be modest with the gain there too or it ends up completely undefinable.

A healthy metal mix on albums usually consists of dual, triple and even quadruple layered guitars with varying tones panned all around the stereo field.

Comment

the triangle is going to be the next big thing in metal....

Comment

The beer$ track is maybe metal ,but nowhere crushing and screaming.
                      That's the point.
                      You can play any genre with any guitar ,but there are better tools for different works.
                      ES would be cool for doom or stoner ,SSS strat could be cool for Malmsteen ,old Mercyful Fate etc.
                      But I can't imagine playing Nevermore ,Anthrax ,Megadeth ,Meshuggah ,Death ,Panthera etc with singlecoils.
                      Those who use single coils are actually using stacked ones for noise control.

Oh and Iron maiden strats have mostly humbuckers in the bridge position ,and Hammet is one of the worst examples to defend Singlecoil qualities.

A Superstrat is a strat with Humbucker. That's why it called Super.
                      www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque

Comment

Originally posted by Karn Evil 9 View Post
                        the triangle is going to be the next big thing in metal....
                        Wot you talkin' bout ?
                        The triangle is metal, just chrome plated.

Comment

Originally posted by jerryjg View Post
                          1) a stock strat cannot do metal in the smost strict definiton of metal
                          I'm very curious to hear "the most strict definition of metal".

if you point to one artist who pulled it off, I would say that 50 more pulled it off more successefully with the right tools.
                          That's why your arguments don't get taken seriously. You say "No good guitarist used more than one style of guitar". I name a crapload of them who did, and you go, "Oh, no... I'm still right because these guys did whatever".

And for what it's worth, you said a strat cannot do metal. If I name one guy who plays metal with a strat, it doesn't matter how many you name who don't. Now, change your stance to "More guys play metal with humbuckers" and you'd be right, but that is not the same as "Strats cannot do metal".

Originally posted by daemon barbeque View Post
                          The beer$ track is maybe metal ,but nowhere crushing and screaming.
                          That's the point.
                          You can play any genre with any guitar ,but there are better tools for different works.
                          ES would be cool for doom or stoner ,SSS strat could be cool for Malmsteen ,old Mercyful Fate etc.
                          But I can't imagine playing Nevermore ,Anthrax ,Megadeth ,Meshuggah ,Death ,Panthera etc with singlecoils.
                          Those who use single coils are actually using stacked ones for noise control.

Oh and Iron maiden strats have mostly humbuckers in the bridge position ,and Hammet is one of the worst examples to defend Singlecoil qualities.

A Superstrat is a strat with Humbucker. That's why it called Super.
                          Again.... the statement was "Strats cannot do metal", not "Strats cannot do Pantera/Megadeth/Anthrax/Meshuggah/etc..."

Maybe YOU can't play metal on a Strat. Plenty of other guys do it just fine, though.
                          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by HughesJB4 View Post
                            Heh, I ain't disputing that.

A heavy amp and a 6 string guitar with low output single coils will still sound heavier than an 8 string put through a JC-120 (clean of course, no amp modelers/pedals in it).

Sure enough, it still wont sound as heavy as a humbucking super strat beast... but both sound heavier.. one just a tad heavier

I just hate the god**** hum and noise when using high gain to try and get metal tones from low output single coil pickups
                            But the difference between the hot humbucker and the vintage single coil is that you can let the amp work more with the single coil, which may - depending on the amp - very well sound better. Single coils also have better clarity and punch than humbuckers, which means one can work the amp more on the gain and the low end... especially when down tuning.
                            There are two kinds of people in this world that go around beardless—boys and women, and I am neither one

Comment

Eddie Van Halen.

Any strat with either stacked single coils, rails or a bridge humbucker will do the trick.

I consider Yngwie to be using strats. Even though those are stacked coiled pickups - they still look like single coils - so they ARE single coils
                              my youtubes Instagram Medium blog
                              A few original tunes: "The Grand Eclipse" and "Timeless Moments"

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                                I'm very curious to hear "the most strict definition of metal".

Maybe YOU can't play metal on a Strat. Plenty of other guys do it just fine, though.
                                No sorry, they cant. Not in my estimation.

Strictest metal? ; I know it when i hear it

..And if I say Strats cant play metal, i'm taliking in general , and I don't need to talk specifically about the 1% who might be able to. Thats like saying ..mm.."rats are great"..well, their may be a few great rats as pets someplace, but in general...

..anyway..You pointed to a lot of guys , well, like taht guy gearjonser saw at the music amp show.. in your argument that people can play great on more than one instrument. I didnt argue witrh that. I just said and I still maintian that a master needs to refine his work on one main instrument. I pointed to a few great examples of my own.
                                There.
                                Last edited by jerryjg; 10-23-2008, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X