banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Well XLVII: Hide your chickens, cause Butch is 'bout to start pickin!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Well XLVII: Hide your chickens, cause Butch is 'bout to start pickin!

Originally posted by J Moose View Post
    How'd you get into Teles & chicken pickin' if you don't like both kinds of music... country AND western?

Where'd you first hear it and what led you to develop those chops?
    Long story, but let's see if I can do this without writing an epic. In the early 1980's, I was playing Prog Rock and Fusion; but the technical aspect of it started getting sterile to me. I had a friend who was a drummer and he played a lot of Classic Rock. He was also a Jeff Porcaro fan. We would jam together on Toto stuff and just have a great time. A few months later, he came to my house and said he wanted to play Country. I just about showed him the door. I loathed Country. All I knew about Country was Telecasters and really clean, cheesy guitar.

He kept on though. I went to his house at his begging and he took me next door to a mutual friend's house. Our mutual friend was a very very god guitarist who mainly played Blues and Rock. Not a speedy player but he could burn it up with 3 notes. Anyway, I sat there and he put on an album that would change my life. It was an Albert Lee album. He just put it on and let it play. When I asked what guitar he was playing, my friend said, Do you like the tone?" I said yes. He said it was probably a 53 Tele. I was shocked but knew what was up. I had to be able to do that. I had found a way to play the technical Fusion and play Country too.

Enter the 1990's. I was much more of a Blues guy and Larry Carlton player. Then I head Brent Mason. It was like refreshing my love for Albert Lee all over. But at that time, I was older and was looking for more. Then I found Jerry Donahue, Danny Gatton, and others. So it's possible for me to like playing the music that I don't like to listen to.

Originally posted by Wattage View Post
    Well I know Ace and Alex Lifeson were big influences intially but who else loomed large?
    Roy Clark was my very first guitar hero. I was watching Hee Haw one night and he played "Caravan" with an electric guitar. I was blown away. I loved Tom Sholz and EVH back in those days too. Tom Sholz's tone on "Don't Look Back" was soooo cool and he used a Les Paul. Ace used a Les Paul. At that time, there was no cooler guitar.
    -Butch

Comment

Roy Buchanan?

Bluegrass pickers?

Comment

What's your opimion of Zakk Wylde crankin, pickin, and other styles? He's no Orlander, but he can jam a few different styles............

No animals have been harmed during the making of this clip :D

Comment

Lions and tigers in a fight...who'd you take? I know who I would...lol

Comment

Originally posted by Will S-T View Post
            Roy Buchanan?

Bluegrass pickers?
            I think Roy Buchanan in the early days was one of the all-time best but I never got into hist tone like others did. His licks? Wow....

Bluegrass pickers? Doc Watson, Tony Rice, Sam Bush, oh that reminds me, I absolutely love Bela Fleck and the Flecktones.

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
            What's your opimion of Zakk Wylde crankin, pickin, and other styles? He's no Orlander, but he can jam a few different styles............

No animals have been harmed during the making of this clip :D

There's something about Zakk I always dug. Part of it is his "I don't care, I'm gonna play what I want as loud as I want. You gonna stop me?"

But underneath that Southern-Fried Metal skin is a guitarist whose passion is very heartfelt and soulful.

Lions and tigers in a fight...who'd you take? I know who I would...lol
            Honestly, the winner would be whoever's having the best day....

In most vids I have seen, the male lions usually come out on top. The tigers, mostly Bengal, are longer, but I believe the lions are stronger. Plus, tigers are mostly solitary; while lions are always defending their pride. Now a Siberian Tiger? They're about 2/3-larger than a Bengal.

Again, I think it's who's having the best day.
            -Butch

Comment

Butch, I know that you've got a little Korean secret in the works. Want to talk about it?
              '06 Gibson R8, '94 Gibson LP Jr Special, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Fender Hotrod '52 Tele, /13 FTR37, Kemper, DrZ EMS, DrZ Plus, Various pedals

Comment

Originally posted by JumpMarine View Post
                Butch, I know that you've got a little Korean secret in the works. Want to talk about it?
                Hehe, I just updated my ad in the Trading post. My family and I are in the process of adopting a little boy from Korea. He is currently about 9 months old. We will get him in February, 2009. He will be 2 years old by then.

We started in Kazakhstan but we really didn't have any luck there; plus, the fees and the wait time are much much more. My wife was looking through some website and found several Korean orphans. She showed all pics of each of them and asked each of my kids and me which one stood out. We all picked the same one; not knowing what the others picked....

That's our blog.
                -Butch

Comment

I'm adopted and I've got say that I have the utmost respect for you and Tracy....giving a child a good life. There's a special place in heaven for folks like you!
                  '06 Gibson R8, '94 Gibson LP Jr Special, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Fender Hotrod '52 Tele, /13 FTR37, Kemper, DrZ EMS, DrZ Plus, Various pedals

Comment

What do you think about this guy, and his friends?

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

that's the big schockah right there..lol

love me some E......
                    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by Butch Snyder View Post
                      Roy Clark was my very first guitar hero. I was watching Hee Haw one night and he played "Caravan" with an electric guitar. I was blown away. I loved Tom Sholz and EVH back in those days too. Tom Sholz's tone on "Don't Look Back" was soooo cool and he used a Les Paul. Ace used a Les Paul. At that time, there was no cooler guitar.
                      Have you ever owned a Les Paul?

Maybe that's what you need to balance out the Tele!!!

Those are my loves, Pauls & Tele's...
                      J. 'Moose' Kahrs
                      mixer|producer|recordist
                      mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
                      All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...

Comment

What do you think about this guy, and his friends?

that's the big schockah right there..lol

love me some E......
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpBuZLqPkAM
                        I've always thought Elvis was cooler than cool and I'm a huge James Burton fan. I love the story James tells about when he first got his pink paisley Telecaster. He bought it and was afraid to show Elvis. Elvis saw and asked as only Elvis could, "Man, where'd you get that thing?" Needless to say, Elvis liked it.

Originally posted by J Moose View Post
                        Have you ever owned a Les Paul?

Maybe that's what you need to balance out the Tele!!!

Those are my loves, Pauls & Tele's...
                        I have owned a honeyburst LP Classic in 1996 and a wine red LP Deluxe about 4-5 years ago. The Deluxe was very cool. I would switch out between the mini-humbuckers and P-90s about every week. I have always loved the look and feel of Les Pauls; but I'm more "me" on my Tele...
                        -Butch

Comment

Interesting that you like chicken pickin' but don't like country music: I'm the same.

-As a fusionhead and hybrid picker, have you ever heard any Brett Garsed?:

here he is demoing his picking style:

-Ever tried a Suhr tele?

-Given an unlimited budget, what amp would you choose?

-what do you like and dislike most about your playing?

-ever get into 335s?

-what's the strangest thing you've eaten?

-got any good gig mishap stories?
                          Originally posted by Jolly
                          ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot _Grits View Post
                            Interesting that you like chicken pickin' but don't like country music: I'm the same.

-As a fusionhead and hybrid picker, have you ever heard any Brett Garsed?:

here he is demoing his picking style:

-Ever tried a Suhr tele?

-Given an unlimited budget, what amp would you choose?

-what do you like and dislike most about your playing?

-ever get into 335s?

-what's the strangest thing you've eaten?

-got any good gig mishap stories?
                            Okay, let's see...

1. I heave never heard of Brett Garsed but I'm very glad you shared those clips. He's very musical and I love the genre.

2. I haven't tried a Suhr. I would love to have one that's built like a 52 or 51 Nocaster. I'm also afraid that if I do try one, I'm gonna be in trouble.

3. As far as my dream amp, I would either get a Line 6 Vetta 2 stack, or an ENGL Steve Morse Head/cab and use it with a Vox AC-20 TB.

4. What I like about my playing? I can pretty much step into most any musical situation and keep up; but still sound and play like me. What I dislike? That I never really delved deeply into one style to master it.

5. When I was a RUSH freak in the early 80's, I had to have a white 355 like Alex Lifeson. Well, in those days, guitarists really had to scrimp and save for nice guitars like that. I saved about $700 and went to my local music store. This was long before the mega-music stores. I saw a new Ibanez AM-50 in Antique Violin finish. That guitar was 3/4 body size. Until I got into Teles, I thought I'd found the Holy Grail. In the mid 1990's, I was into a lot of Blues stuff like Robben Ford. I found a 335 in natural that was awesome; but I didn't have $3k. I opted for a natural Dot model and slapped a set of Duncan 59's in it. I gigged with it exclusively for a time. I also owned a Samick Royale. It's a thinline like a 335 but a little sleeker and with a single cutaway. I used that until I got back into Teles.

6. Calamari, I told you I'm pretty conservative...

7. Gig Mishaps? Not really too many. The craziest was probably where I was in a Blues band and we played a new place; at least it was new to us. We drove up and went into the bar. No one was there except the owner, his wife, and the bartender. We asked if we had been canceled. They said no and to set up our stuff. We did. Then, in walks a DJ with his stuff. We asked what was up. They said, "He plays while you guys are on break". Okay, sounds cool. We were to start at 10pm. It was 9pm at the time. We started our first set on time. About 20 minutes later, the college kids starting coming in in droves. It was like working at McDonald's and 4 buses pulled in. They just kept coming.

We played music. They all played pool. We took our first break and the DJ started up. All of the sudden, the dance floor is flooded with college girls. The college guys either continued to play pool or throw darts. The girls? It was a show I won't forget. They danced and danced with each other in ways I'd never seen or thought of. So, not a mishap, but I wasn't prepared for that....
                            -Butch

Comment

How's a chicken pickin' southern gent end up in Cincinnati, Ohio?

Any advice for a metal head in his late 20s who is convinced he hates country music but loves to hear those guys wail away on teles?

Are you going to take advantage of the sale going on at Guitar Center's new location? Rumor has it they moved to Tri-Country.
                              Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

Originally posted by MikeS View Post
                                How's a chicken pickin' southern gent end up in Cincinnati, Ohio?
                                In 1999, my in-laws moved to OH from New Hampshire to be closer to us. We lived in Chattanooga, TN; where I was pretty much raised. They lived in the same subdivision (where we now live) as the ex-City Manager. He needed an IT Director for the City. I took the job. That's what brought us up here.

Any advice for a metal head in his late 20s who is convinced he hates country music but loves to hear those guys wail away on teles?
                                Watch and read all my posts. That's pretty much my thinking too. I don't listen to Country radio at all. One of my favorite new bands to listen to though, is 33 Miles. They're basically a Contemporary Christian Rascal Flatts type of sound. I think the best way to satisfy your Tele-pickin' appetite without having to subject yourself to Country radio is to listen to the following:

1. Hellecasters
                                2. Jerry Donahue
                                3. Danny Gatton
                                4. Steve Morse (He does have that style although usually distorted)
                                5. Brad Paisley
                                6. Albert Lee (my fave)

Get the CD's and don't listen to the stuff on the radio.

Are you going to take advantage of the sale going on at Guitar Center's new location? Rumor has it they moved to Tri-Country.
                                Hmmm, didn't know about that one. Maybe some strings and picks. There's not much I really need...
                                -Butch

Comment

Working...
                                X