line 6 power supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• line 6 power supply

I'm probably bringing up an old subject, so forgive me for my ignorance...

I (like most people) don't like having to use the line 6 power supply for my DL4 in my pedal board. Is there anything I can do about it? I use an SKB pedal board with on board power.

Thanks

Re: line 6 power supply

You can get a Voodoo Labs PPII+ past that keep using the line 6 adapter...
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

I'm not familiar with the output voltages on your SKB, but the L6 is 9v 1200mA.

But here's the thing....you MUST use a cable that is specifically made for connecting a power source to the DL4. The polarity on that cable is reversed and one barrel plug is different than the other.

The way to get the cable is to send an Email to Voodoo Lab, tell them you just bought their PPII, and because they only included 1 cable, you need another one. The PPII has 2 L6 terminals, but for some crazy reason they only include 1 cable. Everyone who uses both L6 terminals has to Email Voodoo Lab for another one....and it's free.

The best option....and most expensive is to buy the Pedal Power II, but if you don't mind pulling a fast one, you can get that cable from them......or try and find another one just like it and buy it aftermarket.

Another option is to destroy your wallwart by cutting the plug off it, and splicing that REVERSED to one of your regular SKB power cables. I'm just not sure if the SKB has the right output to power the DL4. So find that out first.
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

The power supply in the SKB boards are no where near beefy enough to power a Line 6 pedal...buying a PPII+ is the only real option I know of...

I guess those One Spot adapters will do the job but I don't see where thats any better than just using the Line 6 wall wart...
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Use the One Spot- it has an adapter plug that fits and works well for the DL4- Ive had mine 5+ years with no problems.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            Use the One Spot- it has an adapter plug that fits and works well for the DL4- Ive had mine 5+ years with no problems.
            +1 I use the one spot to power all 3 of my boards. I only have one line 6 pedal (Verbzilla) which does not require any special power issues, so the one spot works fine for me. I even keep a spare in my GIG bag in case it should happen to fail. I have had mine for quite a few years also with no issues.
            "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
            "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

cool, thanks guys for the input.

I'm sure the voodoo labs power would be the best thing, unfortunately, it would seem a little redundant on the SKB board, I'll definitely buy it when I get a board by bradycases made for me in the future.
              The one spot should work? maybe i can go to guitar center and see how it works? Right now I actually have a cool little niche on the board where I keep it velcro'd down in between the tuner and TS9, kinda cool.

Thanks a lot for the help guys, I appreciate it.

Comment

the 1 spot *does* work, very well...you need to buy the little 'adapter tail' for it, which is an extra $3 or so, but it works perfectly.

Comment

I just ordered cables for my Pedal Power 2 and they were $3.50 a piece
                  1973 Les Paul Standard
                  1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Comment

ah.. cables...

that brings me to another thought...
                    I want to be get a kit to make my own cables, who and what should I be looking for?
                    I saw the George L packs on musiciansfriend and today at Sam Ash, what would you guys recommend?

Comment

Bill Lawrence. I have george l's and i don't know one person that hasnt had a problem with them eventually. the Lawrence cables are better designed, and you get 50 *feet* of cable. And the cable will snap in half before they disconnect on their own like George Ls.

Comment

Originally posted by \m/(00)\m/ View Post
                        ah.. cables...

that brings me to another thought...
                        I want to be get a kit to make my own cables, who and what should I be looking for?
                        I saw the George L packs on musiciansfriend and today at Sam Ash, what would you guys recommend?
                        Forget George L's. I had them, and had too many problems with the wire coming out and connection shorting out.

I then used Planet Waves Cable Station, which I like ALOT. Very sturdy, good connections, much better than George L.

I understand the Bill Lawrence ones are good and have been getting good reviews, but haven't tried them.

Avoid Geoege L's. From experience, Planet Waves are much better.

As far as power, I have an SKB Stage 5 pedalboard, and it has a power supply dedicated for Line 6 gear- it's the 1.5 amp supply on the board. The DL4 works fine off it.

Comment

Keep in mind that the Line 6 has a different size barrel jack.....not sure of the specs, but you either need that specific cable or you need to splice a regular cable reversed with the jack that's on your wallwart. Line 6 screwed us with that scenario.
                          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Working...
                          X