Boosting a tube amp??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boosting a tube amp??

Hey, I read ALL the time about guys boosting Marshalls and other tube amps with boss DS1 s and tube screamers and stuff. Any time I try to boost a lead channel, it sounds like mush.. Or like the pedal is causing a clip opposite of the amps natural clip so it screws the tone..

I ask this once years ago somewhere and was told not to run the distortion too high on the pedal. Ive tried this and get a volume boost, but Ive heard players and listened to clips where they definately juice up the gain with these pedals too.
    Whats the secret?? I have a bunch of dirt pedals.. most I have to use on the clean channel or get too much feedback.. Grunge, marshall Jackhammer, etc.. But I have some that should be compatible with the front end: Tubescreamer, boss ds1 and boss DS1 modified by a forum bro..

Please share with me..
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Re: Boosting a tube amp??

You probably need a clean boost (something like the SD Pickup Booster). There are plenty out there that have +25db of gain.

Other options are an EQ, a Boss GE7 does a great job of this. I used to use one with a mid hump curve for solos (and a level boost).

I also used a TS9 with the level all the way up and the gain all the way down, and this also gave a mid boost.

Comment

I think the trick with high gain is to use a moderate amount of gain in each of several stages. You can't just drive the living snot out of a single gain stage - hence the mush. Driving tube amps harder (either with a clean boost or a mix or moderate overdrive plus level boost) works best on a crunchy tube amp, rather than one already running a ton of gain. Try running your lead channel cleaner to start with.

If you need a really dirty "nu" rhythm sound, maybe try using a dirt box with its level LOW for rhythm, and then turn it off and let the amp do its thing for leads. Not too long ago, I wrote a thread about Jimmy Page's dirty rhythm/cleaner lead trick - search for Lemon Song and you'll probably find it.
      Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
      Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

DS-1 is not a good choice for driving tubes unless you are shooting for that kind of sound. It tends to get a bit fizzy with high gain amps. Get yourself a cheap overdrive pedal like a Digitech Bad Monkey (I recommend this one) or a Boss SD-1. Keep the top end under control and keep the drive settings low. Boost the gain on th epedal until you notice there is more sustain than with the pedal off. Don't expect a big increase in volume though. What you should end up with is more sustain and tighter low end. Once you know how to do this you can start experimenting with different OD and boost pedals applying the same principles.

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
        Hey, I read ALL the time about guys boosting Marshalls and other tube amps with boss DS1 s and tube screamers and stuff. Any time I try to boost a lead channel, it sounds like mush.. Or like the pedal is causing a clip opposite of the amps natural clip so it screws the tone..

I ask this once years ago somewhere and was told not to run the distortion too high on the pedal. Ive tried this and get a volume boost, but Ive heard players and listened to clips where they definately juice up the gain with these pedals too.
        Whats the secret?? I have a bunch of dirt pedals.. most I have to use on the clean channel or get too much feedback.. Grunge, marshall Jackhammer, etc.. But I have some that should be compatible with the front end: Tubescreamer, boss ds1 and boss DS1 modified by a forum bro..

Please share with me..

Comment

i gave up trying to get pedals to give me the boost i need... so these days i use multichannel amps with a solo channel or a special head switcher unit that allows me to A/B between 2 heads! I much prefer a multi channel head... much easier.... when i use my amps with single channels i find it's hard to get used to them again...

on some of my 2 channel combos and heads i use a distortion pedal for solos but turn it on and quickly switch to the clean channel for a boost of volume with no squish... or in the clean channel i sometimes just use multi OD and Distortion pedals and change between them using a Boss Line Selector pedal... using the line selector that way is like having a multi channel amp and fx unit!!!

Comment

I have three channels, but it is nice to know I can get a slight crunch out of my clean channel if I need it or more sustain out of my rhythm channel if I need it as well. I totally respect where you are coming from though. Less is definitely more if you don't need more.

Originally posted by WhoFan View Post
            i gave up trying to get pedals to give me the boost i need... so these days i use multichannel amps with a solo channel or a special head switcher unit that allows me to A/B between 2 heads! I much prefer a multi channel head... much easier.... when i use my amps with single channels i find it's hard to get used to them again...

on some of my 2 channel combos and heads i use a distortion pedal for solos but turn it on a switch to the clean channel for a boost of volume with no squish... or sometimes i just use multi OD and Distortion pedals and change between them using a Boss Line Selector pedal... using the line selector that way is like having a multi channel amp and fx unit!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_S View Post
              I think the trick with high gain is to use a moderate amount of gain in each of several stages.
              I'm with Rich on this one. Lower your gain slightly on the amp, and vary the gain on your boost to taste. Like others have said, look into cleaner boosts such as a treble boost (I love the Keeley Time Machine Boost, but it's pricey) or MXR Micro Amp. Different boosts with play better with different amps.

- Keith
              Originally posted by ImmortalSix
              I am just jug the merlot

Comment

i like real volume boosts so much i bought a Radial ABY unit for my home set up... i just jam thru 2 older Fender SS amps... a Princton Chorus and an Ultimate Chorus... i'm setting it up so i can turn the Princton on and off for solos only!!!

Comment

If your amp has Hi & Low inputs, try running the overdrive/dirt pedal into the Low input. Dovetails with what Rich & Keith said about not driving any one stage too hard. If you slam the first tube gain stage really hard it can sound just plain bad, depending on the amp, pedal, etc.

HTH

Chip
                  Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
                  Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
                  Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
                  SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
                  SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
                  "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Comment

Originally posted by guitarded View Post
                    DS-1 is not a good choice for driving tubes unless you are shooting for that kind of sound. It tends to get a bit fizzy with high gain amps. Get yourself a cheap overdrive pedal like a Digitech Bad Monkey (I recommend this one) or a Boss SD-1. Keep the top end under control and keep the drive settings low. Boost the gain on th epedal until you notice there is more sustain than with the pedal off. Don't expect a big increase in volume though. What you should end up with is more sustain and tighter low end. Once you know how to do this you can start experimenting with different OD and boost pedals applying the same principles.
                    Im not looking for big volume jump.. I was just looking for more more sing..

Also, I dont try this on my Peavy ULTRA Plus, its hot enough. I mainly want to boost my Classic 30 and a JCM800 Im getting..

I read all the time where guys are using tube screamers in front of marshalls and there are youtube clips that sound great. and a couple using ds or sd 1.
                    Last edited by BloodRose; 12-04-2008, 12:00 AM.
                    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Like others have said run moderate amounts of gain. When I used to boost my 5150II I would back the gain down to about 4 or 5 on the lead channel and then hit it with either a bad monkey or an addrock boostmaster (awesome pedal btw... wish I never sold it). I always first set the level where I wanted it, then with the gain starting at 0 dial in the tone controls and then goose the gain A LITTLE bit. This always produced a tighter sound than just running the amp gain higher.

Now I use a Boss SD-1 (looking to mod just a tad) into a JCM800 and same applies.
                      Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Comment

I've been having the same fight with my JCM800 and my 1959RR...

When I get some time again, I'm going to work on the letting the amp do the lead work cranked on it's own with a slight push and backing off for rhythm rather than the way I've been trying to get a rhythm tone and then boost it for solos.
                        www.lockwireguitars.com

Comment

Keely Katana's are nice from what ive played. Currently i'm using a bad monkey + a ts9.
                          Lister: I am your god!
                          Cat: ( points at food ) If you're god, turn this into a woman!

Originally posted by Empty Pockets
                          i don't want to shoot at a guy holding my Les Paul, but I'd gladly shoot through a Fernandes that I paid $250 for.

Comment

Well .... I really like where my tone is now, And my sercret is I match all four, MV and the Pre-Amp are at 12 o'clock or 1 o'clcok, and level and drive on Spina TS9 are at 12 o'clock or 1 o'clcok, but A HUGE part of this is the SPINA MOD. I get a very articulate fat crunch with pushed, creamy mids, remotely in the area of modern Iommi or Wicked Sensation Lynch.
                            Active Duty Rig:
                            MIA Lone Star Strat (HS-Fullshred/Tex-Special neck)
                            Warmoth Roads V/Kramer Neck (HS - Custom/Tex-Special neck)

BadHoarsie Original ->

Laney AOR 50 ProTube ( 6 knobber ) / Laney GH50L | efxloop Rocktron Hush Super C/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | Weber lite Mass Attenuator ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Mavashi View Post
                              Well .... I really like where my tone is now, And my sercret is I match all four, MV and the Pre-Amp are at 12 o'clock or 1 o'clcok, and level and drive on Spina TS9 are at 12 o'clock or 1 o'clcok, but A HUGE part of this is the SPINA MOD. I get a very articulate fat crunch with pushed, creamy mids, remotely in the area of modern Iommi or Wicked Sensation Lynch.
                              I have a stock tubescreamer, but a spina mod Ds1

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Working...
                              X