No announcement yet.

How To Use Two Amps At The Same Time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How To Use Two Amps At The Same Time?

I'm modestly bumping my own post...

Just very curious:

Originally posted by JohnnyGuitar View Post
    Didn't know about the phase and hum problems... Can it be avoided if I find out that the amps work together or use the same amp? or is the hum problem is always present?

And what about placing them on stage - how far away from each other do you need to place the amps to get the best results? does using stereo amp still matters if you mic them or does it loose the effect?

Comment

I mean my stereo setup is more for my own enjoyment I suppose...
      Seriously doubt if the audience could give a rats @ss...
      I do it only for my own sonic vibration...
      Like Santana say's "12 feet out it doesn't matter" but he's running four amps also!
      Including a little Motion Sound SR-112 Leslie...
      "Play like a Champion"
      PRS DGT, Fender Tele and Strat
      Marshall JTM45 w/ Creambacks
      Fav SD Pups C5, Jazz, PG's, 59's

Comment

If more than one amp is running at the same time...you guys need a splitter box with separeted outputs(that usually include coils, and is not cheap by any means)
        Any selfrespecting tech can build one of those!

Comment

I don't normally run two because of the hassle of moving my stuff twice a week ..... but I really like the sound I get when I do. My main amp is a 1-12 combo Class A/B with 6L6s and I route the dry signal out of my Deluxe Memory Man to a 1-10 Class A combo with EL-84s. I have the gain up on the Palomino so it's right on the edge of OD. The way the two amps respond differently to being hit with pedals ............... well the combination is awesome, and the amps are only a few inches apart on the floor. I'm not going for stereo separation like you might want for chorus or ping pong delay. I just like the blended sound that is unique and sweeter than either amp alone. No hum, by the way.
          I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

I think a few AB boxes (radial maybe) have ground and phase switchs to fix the above problems).
            Gondola Kid
            Bandcamp
            Facebook
            JimijaymesGuitarist
            Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Rid View Post
              If more than one amp is running at the same time...you guys need a splitter box with separeted outputs(that usually include coils, and is not cheap by any means)
              Any selfrespecting tech can build one of those!
              Would you build one, Niels? Seriously.
              Originally posted by ImmortalSix
              I am just jug the merlot

Comment

I've played through 2 amps for many years, and still do today. However I rarely play through both at the same time. I am currently using a Morley A/B/Y to achieve this. The Morley is on its way out and very soon I will replace it with a Lehle Amp switcher.

My rig is pretty simple. For years I used a Marshall 900 A/B'd with a Fender Super Reverb. The Fender was for cleans & the Marshall for my heavier louder stuff. The Super also had a TS9 in front for a solo boost & to add some sustain whenI needed it.

I still have both of those amps and use them occasionally but now I am using a Bogner Shiva for the cleans & drive (the drive channel is pretty darn good once you spend some time dialing in.) My other amp is a Komet 60. The Komet is an amazingly articulate amp & the cleans are to die for. I have a really nice OD pedal that I use to solo with the Komet as well & I have a TS9 for the Bogner.

The real way I use this is to play my chord or rhythm through the amp of choice & setup the other to switch to for solos. This works quite well, but you really need a good a/b/y to isolate the channels completely. My Morley does bleed from a to b a bit. Its tolerable..... the Lehle will stop it completely. The Morley can run both amps at the same time... it has A or B or A & B. A lot of people use this approach.

Guys like Jimi Hendrix & Eric Clapton back in the 60's just daisy chained their 100 W Marshalls to each other. They plugged into one & had as many as 5 other amps plugged into each other. At Woodstock Jimi had 6 full stacks Daisy chained together. 600Watts & 48 12" speakers...... Whoa!!!!!!!!!

Eric Johnson uses 2 amps as you mentioned, but he rarely plays through both at the same time. he uses certain amps & effects in some cases for just one note. If you ever see him live his foot work is almost as impressive as his hands.

Playing with 2 smaller amps is a really cool idea. Like Lew does. You get a really sweet tone out of a smaller powered amp, but when you play through 2 it just makes the sound bigger.
                "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Would you build one, Niels? Seriously.
                  I am not building anything these days
                  My last projects has hit the streets.......the rest will be Thomas only.
                  I had it!

Comment

I am not building anything these days
                    My last projects has hit the streets.......the rest will be Thomas only.
                    I had it!
                    So of you're not building anymore, what are you up to now?
                    Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                    I am just jug the merlot

Comment

Soldering everyday stuff at the factory, and repairing guitars
                      Just not developing anything for anybody right now....
                      If anything happends further down the line...I dunno right now....I am just working with assembly and preperations these days.

Comment

Soldering everyday stuff at the factory, and repairing guitars
                        Just not developing anything for anybody right now....
                        If anything happends further down the line...I dunno right now....I am just working with assembly and preperations these days.
                        I guess it is your choice but I think it's a waste...

Comment

Well I rather like it this way

Comment

besides the ABY pedals mentioned, there are also the Framptone, and a newer one from Radial's Bone series
                            "music heals"
                            facebook

Comment

Well my 4X12 has a stereo option for two inputs, and I have Ibanez CS9 that can be a stereo splitter, will I experience that same, big, open, lots of charachter two amp sound if I use CS9 to split into two heads that are gonna go into the same 4X12.
                              Last edited by Dr.Mavashi; 12-06-2008, 01:02 PM.
                              Active Duty Rig:
                              MIA Lone Star Strat (HS-Fullshred/Tex-Special neck)
                              Warmoth Roads V/Kramer Neck (HS - Custom/Tex-Special neck)

BadHoarsie Original ->

Laney AOR 50 ProTube ( 6 knobber ) / Laney GH50L | efxloop Rocktron Hush Super C/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | Weber lite Mass Attenuator ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Comment

Originally posted by Curly View Post
                                besides the ABY pedals mentioned, there are also the Framptone, and a newer one from Radial's Bone series
                                I have a Radial Bone Switcher and it is not what I would recommend because of noise.

I found (By accident) a Lehle Dual Amp Switcher, which works very well, has no noise, and controls ground loop noise via isolation transformers.
                                Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
                                When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
                                Red Devils - 1% all the way!
                                Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
                                Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

Working...
                                X