Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Great debate 57 Classic Vs. Seth Lover

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
    Your Gotohs most likely have ceramic magnets, which are a lot stronger than the A2 used in the '57 Classics, that's the reason why they "feel" hotter. 'cause thy are!

I don't like the sound of ceramic magnets generally, they have a harsh quality that I just don't feel comfortable with, specially when used clean, which makes 85% of the my playing anyway.
    They very well could be. I've been trying to hunt down specs for this thing with little luck. All I find are the specs for Strats and even then there's not much info about the pickups.

These Gotoh's sound really good and split it's crazy how Strat-like they sound.

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
    I had a guitar with a '57 Classic in the neck and a '57 Classic Plus in the bridge that I couldn't bond with; it sounded great with both p'ups on, but too muddy with the neck p'up used alone and too harsh and ear pearcing with the bridge p'up used alone. I had to rewire it in this way just to make it bearable: neck p'up std wiring 500K with a .001 cap treble bleed and the bridge '50s mod with a 250K pot that actually read 225K.
    In the Strat I have them in, I don't experience any of this. In fact, I had to raise the screw poles on the bridge pickup to get just a little more bite out of the Plus. The neck is just smooth. I have 500k pots throughout with a tone control on each one.
    Last edited by ErikH; 12-20-2008, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Darnit! This pepper has fly poop in it. Which one of you all can pick fly poop out of pepper?

For the Lord's sake, please stop typing and go play your guitars!

Chip

P.S. Sometimes the autocensor is really aggravating!
      Last edited by Fresh_Start; 12-20-2008, 05:01 PM.
      Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
      Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
      Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
      SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
      SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
      "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Comment

Originally posted by hanumanlangur View Post
        Luke is not trying to say that two pickups with different DC resistance readings will sound the same. If I understand him correctly, he's saying that we should be talking about audible differences between pickups, not electrical properties and measurements (as if we understand all of their effects in isolation).

I agree with this, because there are certain characteristics that people are attributing to mismatched coils, when they could be due to a lack of potting, or to the wind pattern, type of wire used, or some other factor (or combination of factors).
        Thank You
        “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Originally posted by hanumanlangur View Post
          Luke is not trying to say that two pickups with different DC resistance readings will sound the same. If I understand him correctly, he's saying that we should be talking about audible differences between pickups, not electrical properties and measurements (as if we understand all of their effects in isolation).

I agree with this, because there are certain characteristics that people are attributing to mismatched coils, when they could be due to a lack of potting, or to the wind pattern, type of wire used, or some other factor (or combination of factors).

Just as well you and Luke aren't pickup makers.
          If someone wanted a custom pickup made you wouldn't be able to deliver.

Comment

I just bought a new Gibson 359.... Great guitar & had initially considered a pickup swap before I received the guitar. But when I got it and was able to spend some time with it. I like the 57 classics. I think they do the job very nicely. I also have a set of Burstbuckers in a Guild Bluesbird. When I bought the B.B. it was all apart & going through refinishing. When it was going back together the original pickups(59's) were misplaced, so we elected to put a set of Burstbucker in her. I see no reason to change them. In this guitar the Burstbuckers sound great.

As far as vintage sounding pickups go, or at least real PAF's from the 50's & early 60's the thing that I thinjk describes them best is they have a warmth to them that is uncanny as wel as reall clarity. The pickup that I find offers that kind of warmth is the Alnico II pros. IMHO these sound the closest to the real PAFs of everything I have had an opportunity to play.
            "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
            "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Originally posted by wanmei1 View Post
              Just as well you and Luke aren't pickup makers.
              If someone wanted a custom pickup made you wouldn't be able to deliver.
              Oh, and you could Mr. 57 Classic?
              “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Duke View Post
                Oh, and you could Mr. 57 Classic?

Comment

Originally posted by wanmei1 View Post
                  I'll take that as a no.

Ok, so how many ohms are you hearing here?

Luke

Comment

If you're talking vintage range (7k-9k), I think just about anyone in here could hear 1.0k difference in a pu. Especially a neck humbucker, which would go from crystal clear and even too thin at 7k to fat bordering on muddy at 8k. But the difference between 7.5k and 8.5k on a bridge humbucker would be pretty apparent too.

On the other hand, if you're talking 14k to 15k on a high output, the difference would be barely noticeable.
                    Generic signature line.

Comment

• Re: The Great debate 57 Classic Vs. Seth Lover

Hey I was wondering after seeing the SH-5/59 hybrid thread, what if you made a hybrid 57 classic/ seth lover pickup? Wouldn't that make the mismatched coils the original pafs had?

Comment

No, not another Zombie thread again...!

Comment

Oh Goddammit I didn't realize that it the last post before me was a year before mine! GODDAMMIT!

Comment

Working...
                          X