The Great debate 57 Classic Vs. Seth Lover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Great debate 57 Classic Vs. Seth Lover

I look at it like they are the same person in a good mood (Seths) and in a *****y mood (57 classics).

For rock and metal, I'll take the *****y mood- for blues and jazz I'll take the good mood.

One thing that is very unique about 57 classics is that they have that A2 warmth, mids, and audible pick attack, but they are much more responsive and ballsy like A5.
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by wanmei1 View Post
      I used to own a German sports car that handled.
      A friend made the comment that he prefered his Toyota Celica.
      I was kinda speechless.

I have Gibson Classic 57's in a 335.
      Regarding your comments,
      I'm again kinda speechless.
      What does that mean, why are you speechless?

I've never cared for 57s in a Les Paul. The word Christian used is accurate for what I hear, a grainy sound, almost like someone poured sand in your signal.

By and large I feel like 57s work better by far in hollow/semi-hollow guitars.

One thing I don't understand is why Gibson potted them. They were originally claiming to be accurate down to the most minute detail, spacers. This little screw-up casts serious doubt on any claims they stake, IMO.

The only Gibson PAF style pups I care about these days are the Shaws in my 335.

Luke
      “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Duke View Post
        What does that mean, why are you speechless?

Come on Luke , I'm sure you can figure it out. Try harder.
        If the analogy isn't crystal clear then that's a problem cause I can't spell it out any more cleary.... it's blatantly obvious.

I've never cared for 57s in a Les Paul. The word Christian used is accurate for what I hear, a grainy sound, almost like someone poured sand in your signal.

"someone poured sand in your signal" ??
        In which frequency range did "someone pour sand in your signal" ?

By and large I feel like 57s work better by far in hollow/semi-hollow guitars.

I would suggest that in a semi hollow or hollow body they are nothing short of wonderful and in a solid body they are merely excellent.

One thing I don't understand is why Gibson potted them. They were originally claiming to be accurate down to the most minute detail, spacers. This little screw-up casts serious doubt on any claims they stake, IMO.

Well let's think about why Gibson potted them,... after all it would have been easier and more authentic not too.
        Could it be that todays higher gain and wattage amps mean that the majority of players today are concerned about feedback and Gibson is aware of this marketing reality ?

The only Gibson PAF style pups I care about these days are the Shaws in my 335.

Good for you !

Luke

Comment

Come on Luke , I'm sure you can figure it out. Try harder.
          If the analogy isn't crystal clear then that's a problem cause I can't spell it out any more cleary.... it's blatantly obvious.
          Humor me

"someone poured sand in your signal" ??
          In which frequency range did "someone pour sand in your signal" ?
          Across the board. All the non-burst buckers have it to some extent. The BBs in the R7/8/9s I've played I greatly prefer to the 57 classic I had in my LP Custom.

I would suggest that in a semi hollow or hollow body they are nothing short of wonderful and in a solid body they are merely excellent.
          Glad you like them, you can have my share.

Well let's think about why Gibson potted them,... after all it would have been easier and more authentic not too.
          Could it be that todays higher gain and wattage amps mean that the majority of players today are concerned about feedback and Gibson is aware of this marketing reality
          The problem is they claim they are copies, then they pot them? Why not just market it as saying "the PAF that never was?" or "the ultimate PAF"? I've got unpotted buckers and in high gain/high volume settings I don't have problems. Maybe SD torques the baseplate screws tighter so as not to howl? I don't claim to know, but I do know I don't have problems.

Good for you !
          Thank you, you should give them a try if you like the 57s.

Luke
          “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Across the board. All the non-burst buckers have it to some extent. The BBs in the R7/8/9s I've played I greatly prefer to the 57 classic I had in my LP Custom.

Ain't no sand in my 57's.

Glad you like them, you can have my share.

Thanks I gratefully accept your generous offer of your 57's.

The problem is they claim they are copies, then they pot them? Why not just market it as saying "the PAF that never was?" or "the ultimate PAF"?

Luke, the whole music industry is full of markerting hype, decepetion and illusion.....get over it.!
            Is an SD Jazz pickup named correctly ?
            Is an SD Phat Cat named correctly ?
            The name of the game is marketing....
            The new Xtron eliminator phase 111 improved version...the World has a new ultimate rock pickup. It's the greatest mind blowing experience in rock history.
            Ultimate tone......Devestating performance.

Marketing hype....get over it !

I've got unpotted buckers and in high gain/high volume settings I don't have problems. Maybe SD torques the baseplate screws tighter so as not to howl? I don't claim to know, but I do know I don't have problems.
            Thank you, you should give them a try if you like the 57s.

Maybe you don't have a problem with feedback from unpotted pups but a lot of people do.
            ( I personally love feedback. )
            Torquing screws has nothing to do with eliminating feedback...potting does.

I ain't swapping out my 57's for anything !

Luke
            Last edited by wanmei1; 12-08-2008, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Ain't no sand in my 57's.
              Maybe you got an exceptional set.

Luke, the whole music industry is full of markerting hype, decepetion and illusion.....get over it.!
              Is an SD Jazz pickup named correctly ?
              Is an SD Phat Cat named correctly ?
              The name of the game is marketing....
              The new Xtron eliminator phase 111 improved version...the World has a new ultimate rock pickup. It's the greatest mind blowing experience in rock history.
              Ultimate tone......Devestating performance.

Marketing hype....get over it !
              What do you mean get over it? Are you my dad? Saying that something is exact in every single last detail and then having a glaring difference has nothing to do with marketing man.

Maybe you don't have a problem with feedback from unpotted pups but a lot of people do.
              ( I personally love feedback. )
              Torquing screws has nothing to do with eliminating feedback...potting does.
              I would think the tighter your pup is the less it would squeal, so if you made a "tight" pup then it would have a lower probability of squealing.

I ain't swapping out my 57's for anything !
              Did someone say you had to? I never claimed to be the oracle of tone and be in total disbelief that someone didn't agree with me. I mean do you really expect the SD forum to be the home of Gibson 57 classic lovers? Personally I think the classics are marginal, if you like them more power to you but that doesn't mean I'm right or you're right. I'd also consider the SDs the German sportscar and the 57 classics a modern day malibu.

Luke

Comment

What do you mean get over it? Are you my dad? Luke
                Have a nice day.
                (don't forget to tighten up your pups base screws to stop feedback.)

Comment

Have a nice day.
                  (don't forget to tighten up your pups base screws to stop feedback.)
                  I don't have feedback problems, remember I use Seymour Duncans.

Comment

I've used Seth's that had feedback problems in the past.

I ended up taking the cover off, throwing a little masking tape in there and clamping it on real tight before soldering. I also replaced the mounting screws with rubber. These things helped, but I could still get them to feedback in a non musical way if I wanted.

I have other non potted pups that don't give me any trouble. On this subject, I consider it a total crap shoot as to whether any non-potted pup will feedback or not.

No, I don't play high gain. High volume will do it just as well.

The biggest thing I don't like about the Seths for my gear, is the way the non potting effected their tone. It adds what I'd describe as a little reverb to the attack that will not go away. That being said, in a hollow body, I think it's a nice thing. But for a more versatile pickup, I didn't like it. Nice overall tone though.

Comment

I mean do you really expect the SD forum to be the home of Gibson 57 classic lovers? Personally I think the classics are marginal, if you like them more power to you but that doesn't mean I'm right or you're right. I'd also consider the SDs the German sportscar and the 57 classics a modern day malibu.Luke
                      Hey, I drive a Malibu.

Actually there have been a number of favorable posts here about '57 Classics, which is what spiked my curiosity. I'm pleasd with mine & think they're about the best Gibson makes. With magnet swaps I get some great tones from my 498T's, 490T's, & 490R's too. The quality's there, the magnets & pairings aren't always the best.

And while I own more Duncan PU's than any other brand, there certainly are SD models I would never want. Every one isn't a "German sportscar" to my ears. But then, no manufacturer is going to please everybody. Where Duncan & Dimarzio clearly beat Gibson away is in the variety they offer.
                      "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                      "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                      "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

And while we're on that subject, I have one guitar that has a Duncan in it, and it's not one I play a lot either. My main gigging guitars have Gibsons, Fenders and DiMarzios. Why? Because that is what sounds best to me in them. I still love Duncan pickups, at least the ones that actually work for me, but I also love other brands as well.

I've said it before, I'm really happy with my '57 Classics and have actually been a fan since they came out. I've never looked at them as being a marketing hyped up faithful recreation of the original PAF's from the late 50's. What I have looked at them is the modern interpretation of the classic PAF design, wax potted for the modern player that uses more distortion than years past.

Comment

Originally posted by JB6464 View Post
                          ....Also the originals were never wound the same and the 57's and Seth's are machine wound production models. ....
                          For the record, every PAF style pickup Duncan makes is wound on the EXACT Leesona winder that was used to wind the original PAFs, whether it be a lowly 59 or a Custom shop creation
                          Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

I kinda like the grainy sound of 57s. The first 335 I ever played had them in it and the graininess was one of the things I liked best about that guitar. I've got zero interest in how "authentic" a PAF it may be, but I think it's a pretty cool sound nonetheless.
                            ---------------------------
                            The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

For the record, every PAF style pickup Duncan makes is wound on the EXACT Leesona winder that was used to wind the original PAFs, whether it be a lowly 59 or a Custom shop creation

Yes thats correct but the originals did'nt all have the exact same dc output rating like S.D. does on thier production models. They stopped the machine when the original winder thought the bobbins were full. If you measure most S.D. production models there all pretty close to the same dc output for each pickup design. Even the Gibson Burstbuckers today are not the same dc output from BB1,BB2,or BB3. They will all vary in dc output.

Comment

I had a '57 classic in the neck of my les paul classic and it only stayed in there for about 3 weeks. The tone was amazing but the pickup was WAY too bassy......almost to the point of muddyness, so i took it out.
                                2015 Knaggs Steve Stevens SSC T2
                                Majik Box Doug Aldrich "Rocket Fuel"
                                Majik Box Filthy Lucre

Comment

Working...
                                X