Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $1300+

so, little background check...

I had a mesa boogie mark IV that got stolen in July, and I'm going to be reimbursed the amount the I paid for it, thus the $1300 title. When I get the money, I'm thinking about selling the theile Cabinet it came with and selling the footswitch too which would give me a couple hundred more.

What amplifier should I look into?

I play a number of styles of music, including contemporary christian worship music, alternative/hard rock, ambient, blues, etc...

I've been leaning more into clean amps like the AC30, deluxe reverbs, Twin Reverbs but also like the OD from the amp too...

any ideas?

Re: $1300+

Fender Supersonic?
    - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
    Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
    The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Originally posted by guitfiddle View Post
      Fender Supersonic?
      +1
      2 cleans and 2 blendable distortions. the combo version also comes with reverb.
      Yo, i'm Ryan™.

https://www.facebook.com/patchworklv
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=der6aGGzQTk
      ^link to 7 tracks of my band, Patchwork

Comment

Originally posted by super rad ska View Post
        +1
        the combo version also comes with reverb.
        +1. It sounds good too.

The Supersonic is a pretty kick ass amp. You can find em used for around 800 or so. If you want a REALLY kick ass amp I highly recommend an Orange Rockerverb 50. They go used for around that much and it is one the best amps I've ever played.
        Good Deals List

Gear(Always for trade/sale for the right offer)
        4x12 Bluesbreaker style G12H-30's
        Vox AC30H2<---- $1400
        91 Les Paul Studio
        Fender Strat
        MIJ es335 Replica

Comment

Bogner Alchemist. Either the combo or $1700 mini halfstack.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

with 1300 bucks i would go to www.thegearpage.net/board and have a blast in the amp classifieds!!!

dude...you can get some serious amps with that kinda scratch over there used!
            Originally posted by jeremy
            God hates bad guitar tone
            GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
            AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
            EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
            Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

Do you prefer the OD sound of a 6L6- or EL34- style amp?
              After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Comment

If you liked your mesa mark and want something in the same ball park that is very versatile and in that budget, check out the mesa express. I have one, and they are great amps. They should do pretty much everything you need, and are getting great reviews right now.
                - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss View Post
                  with 1300 bucks i would go to www.thegearpage.net/board and have a blast in the amp classifieds!!!

dude...you can get some serious amps with that kinda scratch over there used!
                  That's what I was thinking too. You could certainly get Dr Z stuff, and lots more I'm sure...

I generally recommend a s/h bogner shiva if a player is after gigging versatility, but I'm not sure what s/h prices in the US are like for those at the moment. I'm pretty sure the alchemist will be a good price conscious substitute, but I'll reserve judgement until I've played one myself.

I wonder if you could get a used Vox AC30CC AND a used deluxe reverb reissue for 13-1500 all up? -that would cover a lot of bases.

The supersonic is also a good choice, though I'd spend on a nice marshall-voiced pedal as well to cover that ground. Something like a wampler pinnacle, box of rock or crunchbox.

The orange rockerverb 50 is a cool amp, deluxe reverbish clean side and Brit dirty side. Maybe look around for a s/h one of those. I'd load at least one G12H30 to open the tone up.
                  Originally posted by Jolly
                  ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

Whenever anyone asks for an amp in the $1k area, I always think of the Vox AC30.
                    Turn me on, Dead Man.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot _Grits View Post
                      That's what I was thinking too. You could certainly get Dr Z stuff, and lots more I'm sure...

I generally recommend a s/h bogner shiva if a player is after gigging versatility, but I'm not sure what s/h prices in the US are like for those at the moment. I'm pretty sure the alchemist will be a good price conscious substitute, but I'll reserve judgement until I've played one myself.

I wonder if you could get a used Vox AC30CC AND a used deluxe reverb reissue for 13-1500 all up? -that would cover a lot of bases.

The supersonic is also a good choice, though I'd spend on a nice marshall-voiced pedal as well to cover that ground. Something like a wampler pinnacle, box of rock or crunchbox.

The orange rockerverb 50 is a cool amp, deluxe reverbish clean side and Brit dirty side. Maybe look around for a s/h one of those. I'd load at least one G12H30 to open the tone up.
                      that's what i'm talkin about!!!
                      Originally posted by jeremy
                      God hates bad guitar tone
                      GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
                      AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
                      EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
                      Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

Stolen in July and you're just now getting the money back? That blows.

Comment

Originally posted by phil_104 View Post
                          ............check out the mesa express. I have one, and they are great amps.

Good call!

You might also consider a Genz-Benz Black Pearl combo. Check out the reviews on Harmony Central:

I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Originally posted by Skullkrusher View Post
                            Stolen in July and you're just now getting the money back? That blows.
                            yeah, junky circumstances.

It got stolen in July, found one of the amps that got stolen about a month later, reopened the case (somehow it got closed), and then the officer missed some of the VERY IMPORTANT case information that would lead him to the person who stole it. now the person who stole it is living in minneapolis and the minneapolis police department need to arrest him...

it sucks... but it's happening

Comment

I tried the Mesa Express combo today, and was pleasantly surpised by it. how does it respond to pedals?

the AC30 and the deluxe reverb would be an interesting combination.
                              I'll look around on the gear page site, I could already see a bunch of cool things coming from that.

quite honestly, I wasn't very satisfied with the fender supersonic when I've played it. heck, I might just see if I can find a mark IV combo, I used to have the head and 1x12 thiele cab.

Comment

Working...
                              X