• Show
Clear All

• which compressor?

Keeley 2 knob version

of

Keeley 4 knob version

Re: which compressor?

Why are you hung up on the Keeley
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

i hear tell of a very cool new compressor coming out soon. it might even let you blend your unaltered signal into the compressed signal so you can still get the attack and unaltered shape of the note along with the compression and extra sustain

Comment

Like this one?
        BYOC 5 knob

Yeah, its better than both Keeley's I've tried. And I built it with my limited skills.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Bah blend sucks on guitar comps imho!

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            Like this one?
            BYOC 5 knob
            Not so much but sorta. I know of what Jeremy speaks... was in on the beta testing. It's a VCA design, not optical. Couple three days ago I was told it was in production but probably won't be available for another several weeks... probably after NAMM? I have no idea...

Tell 'ya though... one of my favorites for guitar is the old standby Dynacomp. I've also heard & tried the analog man Bi-Comp in an A/B with guitars & various keyboards... and that off the shelf Dynacomp is plenty fine.

The other compressor... the blendable one is a whole other thing though. Worked pretty well on all kinds of things besides guitar. Handled bass & Moog synths well without folding & chopping all the low end out.
            Last edited by J Moose; 12-26-2008, 09:43 PM. Reason: hmmmmm...
            J. 'Moose' Kahrs
            mixer|producer|recordist
            mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
            All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...

Comment

I had a 4 knob Keeley... don't know why but I just didn't like it. I recently got a CMATMODS 4 KNOB Signa Comp.... it's excellent, more of a natural sound. I can leave it on... I could never do that with the Keeley. Chad Matthews (CMAT) also does a 2 knob version and a Ross clone which I believe would be closer to the Keeley? Anyway... it seems CMATMODS aren't common knowledge yet... but I'm sure they will be!

Comment

The 2 knob version should do the job. A friend of mine uses it and it's pretty good. I went for the Barber Tone Press compressor and like it a lot, it has a blend knob, though.

If I were you, go for the 2 knob version. Easy to use and quite effective.
                Originally posted by Guitarist
                Honestly, I like Scott's words. "There is a rhythm to life. Ride the waves."

And keep in mind that while nothing lasts forever, nothing is lost.
                http://soundcloud.com/adrian-czarnecki/tracks

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                  i hear tell of a very cool new compressor coming out soon. it might even let you blend your unaltered signal into the compressed signal so you can still get the attack and unaltered shape of the note along with the compression and extra sustain
                  The Barber Tone Press does exactly that.
                  My Soundclick

Comment

the tone Im trying to get is often a blend of compressor, delay and tube screamer. But.. Every time ive tried a comp, I cant tell any difference..

Mincer, how is the DIY kit?? Ive been curious about those..
                    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Had a few comps temporary modded with blenders....was awful with guitars.....might as well not use one.
                      As long as I can control the release and the attack...or if the comp is setup well for guitar...I am happy.
                      Blend is most useful for timebased effects...well as far as I am concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                        the tone Im trying to get is often a blend of compressor, delay and tube screamer. But.. Every time ive tried a comp, I cant tell any difference..

Mincer, how is the DIY kit?? Ive been curious about those..

Super easy and fun to build. When you are done, you have a boutique effect without the price, and you can paint it any way you want, so it is unique to your taste....the BYOC guys know what they are doing. Next, I am building the overdrive.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Rid View Post
                          Had a few comps temporary modded with blenders....was awful with guitars.....might as well not use one.
                          As long as I can control the release and the attack...or if the comp is setup well for guitar...I am happy.
                          Blend is most useful for timebased effects...well as far as I am concerned.
                          I tend to abuse parallel compression on things like drums & vocals... and yeah, even guitars. That's on big mixing consoles though...

The Pigtronix Attack Sustain is a pretty rad compressor... love the volume swell tricks, especially with reverse delays!!!

To be honest, I rarely go for "guitar" compressors in pedal form. Most are too heavy handed... even the Dynacomp I use mostly as a boost rather then for compression.
                          J. 'Moose' Kahrs
                          mixer|producer|recordist
                          mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
                          All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...

Comment

4-knob.

Pedalboard

Comment

I ended up going for the 2 knob version...

they had both versions at Sam Ash, so I tried both through an AC30 w/ alnico blues using a PRS SC se (most similar to my LP). I initially wanted the 4 knob mostly because of the ability to shape the tone a little more, and then I tried the 2 knob version. Right out of the box i liked the 2 knob better. Nothing was wrong with the 4, but the 2 sounded better to me. And it was cheaper...so what the heck!

I also picked up some George L cables, and some strings for acoustic and electric... my christmas present from my father to me... I'm happy

now i just need to get back to texas to try it all out on my gear...
                              those BYOC pedals seem interesting, I'd love to build one sometime!

Comment

Working...
                              X