Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1979 Technics SL-5300 turntable

Vintage 1979 Technics SL-5300 Direct Drive

Killer turntable here, this is one of my backups. Flawless performance, fairly new Shure ME-103 cartridge and stylus. Tracks at 1g. This table has a phenomenal high torque Direct Drive motor, Cueing oil-damped in both directions so there is no quick jjump-on/ump-off when lifting the tonearm from a playing lp. Stylus illuminator on/off switch, stylus illuminator & strobe lamp, memory repeat, record size selector, quartz lock computer controlled w/ optional manual pitch control and speed selector 33 1/3 or 45 rpm

Dust cover has a few scuffs/scratches

Cartridge is a Shure ME-103 SPS Series Four and includes unused accessories in the box. I can email the specs if you are interested

For the discriminating user, here is the scoop:

The Technics SL-5300 features a high-performance electronic circuit and full-cycle detection frequency generator with quartz phase-locked control for superior rotational characteristics

Based on an electronic circuit composed of 3 kinds of highly integrated ICs developed for the SL-1400mk2 series and full cycle (360 degrees) detection frequency generator, the quartz locked system with a crystal oscillator as its standard has been adopted

For best utilization of the high accuracy crystal oscillator, the detection range is effective through 360 degrees due to the full cycle frequency generator of the motor stator for detection of speed with a consequent extremely stable rotational accuracy

In other words, this is not your basic crap turntable. It offers high quality sonic characteristics, reliability, less wear to your precious vinyl by virtue of it's low tracking weight capabilities

Asking $300 obo + shipping in US. International Brother's be prepared to take it in the keister w/o K-Y

May also consider gear trades for guitar floor or rack processors. Also older Yamaha home audio amplifier and equalizer component equipment. No receivers, cassette decks or CD players needed

Why deal with me? My word is my bond and that is enough . MANY references available if needed
    Last edited by Northwinds; 01-01-2009, 07:40 PM.
    Ladies, as long as I have a face, you will have a place to sit

2001 Gibson Les Paul Standard
    2010 Gibson Explorer '76 RI

Re: 1979 Technics SL-5300 turntable

Holy crap thats overpriced for that unit . In no way shape or form would that unit go for that price on ebay. Me102 is a decent cartridge, but when not new value is neglible . Hell, I have a Denon I'd sell for 75.00 (needs a cratridge) that is actually a nicer table, though they really dont even bring tmuch over 100.00. You can pick up a Technics.SL-1200, the studio standard, for about that price your asking for the mid-level Technics.
    I notice you ask top dollar for all your gear, like those Mac MC275's for 7 grand thats absolute top book on those.
    True that a few pristine units went for 10 to 12 during the first resurgant craze for golden age gear, but now,Theyd probably sell for close to 5000-5500 I think .
    Last edited by jerryjg; 01-01-2009, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Sorry if you feel that way Jerry, I take care of what I own and that's why anyone that buys something from me gets exactly what they pay for with a gurantee of satisfaction. I don't mind paying top dollar for anything if need it and its in excellent condition. FWIW, this table has about 18hrs use since new. I also have seen these sell for more then I am asking on the audiophile forums

I would like to an image of this Denon that is better, I would be interested
      Last edited by Northwinds; 01-01-2009, 07:41 PM.

Comment

I remember my dad having a Technics turntable like this back in the 80's. Who knew that stuff would be worth more than what replaced them: CD players.

Heck back when CDs came out turntables were considered worthless. We all know that is not true now though.

Comment

Originally posted by Fusion1 View Post
          I remember my dad having a Technics turntable like this back in the 80's. Who knew that stuff would be worth more than what replaced them: CD players.

Heck back when CDs came out turntables were considered worthless. We all know that is not true now though.
          I am actually asking less then what it cost new in 1979... $349.99 back then is about $700+ now. Other then some scuffs to the dustcover, it is like new

Also Jerry, there is a wide difference between a good Technics turntable and not so great. Just as there is with Denon or any other company. The SL-1200you mentioned is more commonly referenced with DJ tables. In fact, if it were not for DJ's, the 1200 would have been a footnote in the history book. This is mainly because of the high torque motor then anything else. The tonearm certainly was nothing to write home about since it was pretty standard fodder. It is also known for its simplicity whereas the 5300 has more convenience features but pretty much same everything else. The 5300 also incorporates the SL-1400 quartz system which is recognized as superior to the SL-1200's. We are talking stuff that no human ear could decipher so its really apples to oranges

Finally, here is a review of the SL-1200

"One DD turntable survived this massacre. In 1972 Matsu****a brand Technics released the SL-1200, a model sitting in the midst of its consumer range, but still at the right side of the quality/cheapness divide. With its rich functionality and relative sturdiness the Ur-1200 got adopted by the DJ-crowd, and later generations of the SL-1200, from the 1979s MkII on, shed some of their domesticality and grew more pro/DJ-oriented. As such they got somewhat separated from Technics' main product line, which put them into a position to be preserved throughout the ages: despite numerous new iterations, the MkII never ceased production.

The SL-1200 is based on a heavy plinth, sited on four height-adjustable compliant feet. The plinth has a nice aluminium top, and a rather ugly and utilitarian-looking bottom made from a fairly dead compound. The aesthetically-challenged plinth and the four high feet make this turntable look slightly awkward, something that you'd want to hide in a console (as in studios!) rather than exhibit in public. With the exception of a rather flimsy and insubstantial dust cover the overall impression of quality is decent, which given the low selling price is quite an achievement. The deck is sturdy, very heavy, and confidence-inspiring.

The heart of the SL-1200 is of course the tried and trusted direct drive motor, with its stator bolted to the plinth and its rotor part of the platter. This latter is of thin aluminium, damped with a layer of rubber. Even then it still is rather ringy and really requires the included thick and heavy rubber mat to quiet down. This mat is rather massive, but appeared to be not perfectly flat, causing a wobble of about 0.5 mm.

The drive is controlled with a large start/stop button and a pitch slider with center-detent for nominal speed. A stroboscope light is, distractingly, always on. A nice touch is the hidden stylus light that pops up at the push of a bottom, making cueing in dark rooms a tad easier.

Despised as the SL-1200 is in some circles, its tonearm has an even worse reputation. I'm not sure why. Yes, it is old-fashioned. Yes it is not a single casting and thus structurally less rigid than often desired. Yes it has an outmoded detachable headshell. But these are all vices that can be sidestepped by a proper choice of cartridge. The arm's medium-high 12 g effective mass (including headshell) precludes the use of high-compliance MMs (i.e. most MMs fall out). If an MC is preferred, then its (assumed) imperfect integrity dictates a well-behaved cartridge, as opposed to one with an undampled, resonant treble. But even with these restrictions there is still plenty of choice."

Comment

Working...
          X