Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: modal change example

'Re: modal change example'

Not sure if this title fully explains what you're doing. I was expecting a vamp in a certain key and then doing 4 bars or so in different modes in that key.

Your C# locrian is basically a B Aeolian (natural minor) which sounds more friendly, to which you're lowering the C# to C for it to fit the C chord.

People get too hung up on modes and scales, it doesn't matter where the notes come from as long as it fits nicely. You're clip basically displays what I call 'adaptive' playing which shows how you adjust the B natural minor scale to accomodate the unrelated 'C natural' chord. There's not really any special modal changes going on.

Having grumbled all that, nice clip....

Comment

P.S Yep that is 5/4. listen for the crash on beat 1 of each bar

Comment

well technichally i am changing modes but not alot. just 2 times. notice when it goes to the C chord the first time, i hit the 3rd and then start the arpeggio.

yeah, i could've just said"i changed the key for a short moment" but modal changing sounds so much cooler

Comment

Cool! That made me want to focus on theory even more! I'm getting deeper into modal territory. I got it down ok, but still gotta work on weaving between modes and whatnot. Do you got any tips for that? I've been making up patterns and just running them all over the modes. I want to get to the point where I don't have to think about it and can improvise like a madman in any given key and with full neck runs.

Are there any visual charts out there for all the harmonic minor modes (possibly online)? I really don't wanna sit here and figure out all the intervals

Sweet clip.
          Watch My Videos
          Photography
          www.myspace.com/thebillyhong
          "Anything worth living for is worth suffering for."

Comment

thanks man!!

what i think a big key in weaving in and out of certain modes is this, it's much better(for your own self) to be able to play one thing in a certain area. this is somehting my guitar teacher told me. if you cant stay in a certain area of teh enck and make it osund good, then how is it gonna sound good when playing all over the neck? very wise words. while this is just a small example with barely any modal changing in it, i tried to stay withing one are of the fret board whihc was the 9th fret to 12h fret. i went out sometimes, liek for teh C major 7 arpeggio and for some of the harmonic minor lines. you dont want to end up like yngwie who can blast around all over the fret board but cant play a simple melody between a set of frets, do you?
            i dont think so.
            take this example, just stay in the are of the 5th fret and 8th fret and mover around using differnt modes. try not to do it in a rock setting, ply over some nice clean chords. major 7ths are good for this.
            try playing over this chord progression:

Amajor 7
            D9

the key is to just stay in the 5-8 fret area.
            in the A major 7, you can play A ionian, or A lydian over it. i prefer A ionian just as a personal preference. and over the D9 chord, play A dorian over it. the major 6th brings out amuch mroe melodic tonality to it rather than aeolian or phrygian whihc kinda sound dull IMO over these types of things.
            if you want me to, i'll record a short clip to give example?

Comment

here you go Biu.

a really short example of what i said above. about 30 seconds long. i tried my best to stay in the box this time

Comment

Holy crap, moom, that sounded GREAT! So, Dorian works really good for 9-chords? My guitar teacher tried to explain something like this to me, but I never really caught on.
                Watch My Videos
                Photography
                www.myspace.com/thebillyhong
                "Anything worth living for is worth suffering for."

Comment

yeah

btu what im actualy playing is a 7/9 chord. so it'd look lik this...

-5-
                  -5-
                  -5-
                  -5-
                  -4-
                  -5-

a major chord, and since this is the only major shord that has a minor 7th and a 9th in it the dorian fits extremely well.
                  and i lik eto use the ionian over the major 7 chord, but think lydian would work well too.

Comment

Working...
                  X