This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to do a natural mask binding?

Hey everyone, I'm thinking of putting together a Tele. I'll probably buy an unfinished body from Warmoth and finish it up myself.

I really want to do a natural mask binding but I don't have a clue about what to use for the masking. Should I use tape? Rubber cement? I'd like to hear some opinions or tips on the subject that might point me in the right direction before I screw anything up.

Thanks!
    Jason
    "It was a new day yesterday, but it's and old day now."

Re: How to do a natural mask binding?

painters tape... from what i understand you mask the edge you do not want stain on and then remove it when you spray the clear coats

Comment

This depends on if you are going to stain the top first, or if you are going to apply stained (translucent) or solid colour.
      Lets look at the hardest way first.
      If you are going to stain the raw timber, first you must get the timber polished to a dull shine before you apply the stain. you can do this by snading to a fine grit then polishing with steel wool.
      Next you make up some wash coat. theis is 9 parts mineral turpentine to 1 part boiled linseed oil.
      apply this liberally over the whole top and sides. Then get a roughish piece of cloth, old denim is perfect for this, and polish the guitar again, the shine will increase slightly.
      Now get yourself prepared for the stain. use a small piece of cotton cloth rolled into a little ball. Wear latex gloves!!!
      apply another coat of washcoat, lightly this time.
      Now apply sth stain to the ball of cotton, and stroke the stain on, working from the centre to the sides. if you use long strokes going to the edges, it should "break" nicely along the edge of the top and sides.
      keep applying the stain until you get the depth of colour you are after. Take your time, there is no rush here.
      Make sure you dont leave any lines of stain. Apply a bit the keep stroking the stain rag so that the "witness" lines disappear.
      when you are satisfied with the depth of colour, then leave the guitar for an hour or so.
      Check the sides to make sure there are no bleeds of stain.
      If there are a few, then remove these with 400 grit sandpaper.
      If you polished the sides well, then you shouldnt get bleeding.
      Then apply 2 or 3 coats of laquer to seal, and you can then apply the rest of the finishing.
      If you want to put coloured laquer or solid colour on, then its easy.
      First polish the bady as above, but dont use any wash coat.
      Apply 2-3 coats of laquer and leave overnight, scuff sand back with 400 grit, then apply another 3 coats.
      Then flat sand with 600 grit.
      Now get the blue 3M masking tape and tape the sides of the guitar.
      Apply your colour coat, let this dry for 15 mins, then apply another 2 coats of clear to seal the colour. Leave for 1 hour.
      Remove the masking tape, and gently scrape any colour from the sides. I use a Stanley knife balde for this. Because you have a clear laquer base, the colour coat will come off easily.
      Then continue with your clear coats until the guitar is finished, flat sand with wet and dry 1500 grit soaked overnight, and buff with your preferred cutting compound
      Cheers
      Pete
      www.crossleyguitars.com

Comment

There is a 3M product called Fine Line Tape that leaves very clean edges.
        Originally posted by Frankly
        PoorMan knows what everyone deserves. Everyone knows that.
        Originally posted by Diocletian
        Hi John Jolly. I like you a lot. If you would enjoy some sex please contact me. Maybe we could discuss the Les Paul guitar during it. I would like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Crossley View Post
          This depends on if you are going to stain the top first, or if you are going to apply stained (translucent) or solid colour.
          Lets look at the hardest way first.
          If you are going to stain the raw timber, first you must get the timber polished to a dull shine before you apply the stain. you can do this by snading to a fine grit then polishing with steel wool.
          Next you make up some wash coat. theis is 9 parts mineral turpentine to 1 part boiled linseed oil.
          apply this liberally over the whole top and sides. Then get a roughish piece of cloth, old denim is perfect for this, and polish the guitar again, the shine will increase slightly.
          Now get yourself prepared for the stain. use a small piece of cotton cloth rolled into a little ball. Wear latex gloves!!!
          apply another coat of washcoat, lightly this time.
          Now apply sth stain to the ball of cotton, and stroke the stain on, working from the centre to the sides. if you use long strokes going to the edges, it should "break" nicely along the edge of the top and sides.
          keep applying the stain until you get the depth of colour you are after. Take your time, there is no rush here.
          Make sure you dont leave any lines of stain. Apply a bit the keep stroking the stain rag so that the "witness" lines disappear.
          when you are satisfied with the depth of colour, then leave the guitar for an hour or so.
          Check the sides to make sure there are no bleeds of stain.
          If there are a few, then remove these with 400 grit sandpaper.
          If you polished the sides well, then you shouldnt get bleeding.
          Then apply 2 or 3 coats of laquer to seal, and you can then apply the rest of the finishing.
          If you want to put coloured laquer or solid colour on, then its easy.
          First polish the bady as above, but dont use any wash coat.
          Apply 2-3 coats of laquer and leave overnight, scuff sand back with 400 grit, then apply another 3 coats.
          Then flat sand with 600 grit.
          Now get the blue 3M masking tape and tape the sides of the guitar.
          Apply your colour coat, let this dry for 15 mins, then apply another 2 coats of clear to seal the colour. Leave for 1 hour.
          Remove the masking tape, and gently scrape any colour from the sides. I use a Stanley knife balde for this. Because you have a clear laquer base, the colour coat will come off easily.
          Then continue with your clear coats until the guitar is finished, flat sand with wet and dry 1500 grit soaked overnight, and buff with your preferred cutting compound
          Cheers
          Pete

Wow- this should go in the vault

Comment

Originally posted by jmh151 View Post
            wow- this should go in the vault
            +1
            Originally posted by Frankly
            PoorMan knows what everyone deserves. Everyone knows that.
            Originally posted by Diocletian
            Hi John Jolly. I like you a lot. If you would enjoy some sex please contact me. Maybe we could discuss the Les Paul guitar during it. I would like that.

Comment

yup vault it... i wish i knew more about finnish work...

Comment

yeah that is the most concise method i have seen. vault for sure.

i royally screwed up when i tried natural binding because i stained first and it just soaked under the tape like it wasnt even there. stewmac also has a nice finishing tutorial called "blue guitar" or something along those lines for free on their website.
                --------------------------------------------------------
                "Have a good time .... all the time. That's my philosophy Marty."
                Viv Savage 1980

Comment

Thanks for the info Pete. That pretty much sums it up!

If I have any other questions, would you mind if I PM you?

Jason

When I get this project in motion I'll post some pics if anyone is interested in seeing the progress.
                  "It was a new day yesterday, but it's and old day now."

Comment

Working...
                  X