Custom 8 paradise!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Custom 8 paradise!

FWIW, A8 in the neck caused some pretty serious warble in my lester. I ended up with A3, which just barely edged out A2. This was in a PGn. However, it was much better in the bridge - I have a 59/custom hybrid w/ A8 in there right now, and when I can get around to it, I'm going to throw in a PGb into the lester and use the 59/custom 8 in my kramer focus 1000.
    Originally posted by ImmortalSix
    I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

oh jimi james, tell me more about the C/59 Hybrid A8. I do have a Hybrid with a A2, but i doubt that i like it. I think about selling or swapping it. Though putting in a A8 would be an alternative solution too.
      I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by jimijames View Post
        I have a 59/custom hybrid w/ A8 in there right now
        Now that is a customized pickup.
        2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
        1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Comment

sent some time dialing in the height on the 598. Sounds great so far, but was playing thru headphones.. Tommorrow, we go thru the 4x12 and we shall see!!
          Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
            oh jimi james, tell me more about the C/59 Hybrid A8. I do have a Hybrid with a A2, but i doubt that i like it. I think about selling or swapping it. Though putting in a A8 would be an alternative solution too.
            Well, it's a great match for the PGn. In parallel, it has some tele twang, but is a good deal darker than any tele pickup i've played. In series, it sounds huge, and while it's more compressed than the handful of vintage-output pickups I've played, it's still less compressed than any of the custom variants. The midrange response reminds me a bit of a P-90, and it's very complex harmonically. IMO, the 59/custom is completely different with A2 than it is with A8.

I would try it with A8 before selling it, it's like 7-8$ for one from wymore guitars (or at least it was when I got my last one)

edit: I am swapping the pickup out for a pearly gates bridge, but that's just because I want my les paul to be closer to vintage. Back when I got it, I was trying to wring the most versatility I could from all of my guitars, and now I'm trying to get them to do fewer things, but be better at those fewer things, just because I have more guitars now.
            Last edited by jimijames; 01-25-2009, 07:00 PM.
            Originally posted by ImmortalSix
            I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

Does anyone have one for sale i would love to try it!! PM me

Comment

got an a8 pearly gates.... best bridge pickup ever(imo of course) alnico 8 is very underrated outside of the circles of this online community i believe.
                Yo, i'm Ryan™.

https://www.facebook.com/patchworklv
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=der6aGGzQTk
                ^link to 7 tracks of my band, Patchwork

Comment

edit: I am swapping the pickup out for a pearly gates bridge, but that's just because I want my les paul to be closer to vintage. Back when I got it, I was trying to wring the most versatility I could from all of my guitars, and now I'm trying to get them to do fewer things, but be better at those fewer things, just because I have more guitars now.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Less is more, sometimes.
                  Guitars:
                  2017 Epiphone dot
                  2007 Fender Strat (Andrew Robertson Pickups "Black strat set")
                  2015/19 Fender fat telecaster
                  (Andrew robertson pickups broadcaster/ Duncan 59n)

Peavey Classic 50 head/ Peavey Classic 410e cab

Comment

Does anybody have any sound clips of the C8, i'd love to hear it!

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                      AND... I noticed that Ibanez has a alnico 8 pickup in thier new line up too.

Which one?

Comment

Originally posted by deliriumtrigger View Post
                        Which one?
                        Its the CCR1 and CCR2 pickups that come in the FR1620 model. (2008 catalog pg 38)
                        Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by KeeperOS View Post
                          Hey bro.
                          Now you've touched a sensitive issue for me.

I'd LOVE to try one but over here bar magnets aren't the easiest thing to come by and ordering from the States isn't exactly cost effective...

How do you think the 589 () in the neck would pair up with the Custom 8 in the bridge?
                          I've been dying to try it in my MG-122 (has the JB which truth be told suits it heavenly except I'd want it to be a tad hotter as the OD is on the anemic side for my tastes) while I also dislike the 59 at the neck so I've been thinking the two birds with one stone etc...
                          Ok, 598 in the bridge of the Baretta dialed in and sounds good thru the classic 30. 598n in the washburn MG104 with C8 bridge is set up. thru the classic 30, sounds really good! The stock 59 sounded alittle feeble. The only concern I have is that the neck really overpowers the bridge.. The cleans are warm, not Jazz clean, but has a decent clean and seems to have a good overdrive too.. Just needs to be set low and since this is direct mount, I cant go lower.
                          Im gonna clean up and go drive them thru my big rig.. details soon

Jol Dantzig

Comment

An A8 mag in the neck, huh? I couldn't imagine doing that...as you say, I bet it *is* rather overpowering...bet it also sounds tremendous though
                            Chris Naish
                            Phil 4:4-9; James 1:2-5,12; 2 Cor 5:21

Comment

Killer thread! Obviously I'm a fan.... I found my "Holy Grail" the day I stuck an A8 in my CC. Cool to see someone else discovering its awesomeness. At this point I can't imagine a world without a Custom 8 in it.

Comment

I love the Crazy 8 (and PATB's in general) so much that I have my doubts as to whether or not I'd like a Custom8, even after hearing some sound clips people have made...but I'm sure it's a great PU though...
                                Chris Naish
                                Phil 4:4-9; James 1:2-5,12; 2 Cor 5:21

Comment

Working...
                                X