Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how do you get more VOLUME in your recordings without the clipping

Default Re: how do you get more VOLUME in your recordings without the clipping

I have this issue with my recording software, to eliminate clipping my overall volume levels have to be quite low. (Thanks to those back in the day here that helped me with it as one of my first big n00b mistakes!)

To adjust it, I use Winamp, my mp3 player. You can use it to copy .wav files or change .mp3 files to .wav. (Right click > options > preferences > Nullsoft disk writer.)

Keeping the equalizer on, I make the eq curve flat, then use the preamp slider to increase the track's output level. I hit 'play,' & it makes a copy of the original .wav file, but the copy is now louder than the original with no clipping. I save this eq setting as "Flat" so I don't have to manually adjust the eq sliders every time.

That's it!
    Curt
    CGord on myspace.com or soundclick.com

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser, Black Cherry
    Dean Z-X, SD SH-6 Distortion (bridge), Black
    Ibanez RG410, EMG 85, Pearl Red
    Squier '51, 2-Tone Sunburst
    Washburn WG587, Metallic Red
    Schecter Stiletto Deluxe-5 bass, Black
    Ibanez SR500 bass, Satin Mahogany

way cool, interesting stuff! ya'll are kickin' some serious knowledge. I gotta let it marinate

Other than the old Compress and add gain scenario that is oh so popular nowadays.
    _
    You can also use a Stereo Enhancer, but I think it works by putting sounds out of phase, so it might not always sound good.
    _
    A soft- clipper can also bring levels way up to the point where they are "almost" clipping.
    _
    But personally I don't use these kinds of things much, and if I do, it's very lightly.