No announcement yet.

Just played a road worn strat! LMAO!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Just played a road worn strat! LMAO!

I haven't seen any yet... but I bet the guy who thought it up is on a massive bonus! Any guitars that are seconds due to paint runs or any other finish problems just get dropped at the "new" road worn dept and get beat up a bit... then sold for more. Very clever... now they can save even more money by sacking some of the Q.C dept!

Comment

It's like paying the cook to spit in your own lunch I guess.

Comment

The last time I was in GC, the clerk tried to push one of those into my hands. Now, as the happy owner of a late 90s Tex-Mex Tele, I'm well aware of how good Mexican Fenders can be, but the relic job on this thing looked amazingly cheesy, so I wasn't interested.

Of course, the fact that the dude was pushing it on me when I expressly told him that I was there shopping for a Les Paul just adds another tick in the "GC employees are idiots" tally.
        ---------------------------
        The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Originally posted by d1dsj View Post
          Any guitars that are seconds due to paint runs or any other finish problems just get dropped at the "new" road worn dept and get beat up a bit... then sold for more. Very clever... now they can save even more money by sacking some of the Q.C dept!
          +1. Used to be you had to look on eBay to find some teenager's abused and mangled guitars. Now you can bypass the middleman & buy nasty guitars straight from the manufacturer! Of course, instead of getting them super cheap, now you'll pay even more than one in mint condition. No problem, as long as your disposable income isn't potentially effected by the stock market, real estate market, bank failures, corporate bankruptcies, and massive lay offs. Nothing I like doing more than blowing large amounts of money on beat-up 'new' guitars when I have no job security.

Fender was able to eliminate quality control and raise the price. Bonus time! Every guitar makes it thru now, straight into the stores. What other manufacturer can boost a 0.00% reject rate? Only in America. Not only is our economy collapsing, we're taking down the rest of the world with us. Ideas like this help that happen.
          "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
          "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
          "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
            +1. Used to be you had to look on eBay to find some teenager's abused and mangled guitars. Now you can bypass the middleman & buy nasty guitars straight from the manufacturer! Of course, instead of getting them super cheap, now you'll pay even more than one in mint condition. No problem, as long as your disposable income isn't potentially effected by the stock market, real estate market, bank failures, corporate bankruptcies, and massive lay offs. Nothing I like doing more than blowing large amounts of money on beat-up 'new' guitars when I have no job security.

Fender was able to eliminate quality control and raise the price. Bonus time! Every guitar makes it thru now, straight into the stores. What other manufacturer can boost a 0.00% reject rate? Only in America. Not only is our economy collapsing, we're taking down the rest of the world with us. Ideas like this help that happen.
            But people are buying them, are they not?
            Originally posted by ImmortalSix
            I am just jug the merlot

Comment

I checked them out. I liked them, but the idea of paying about $1,000 for a MIM strat turned me off.

Comment

They should be called "Factory Worn."

Ironically, they are called "Road Worn."

It's ironic because their regular Standards are the ones that are getting worn, on the road (road worn), not these.

I don't know a single gigging musician who would buy a "Road Worn" guitar, because of the poser factor.

I just hate the name. They should call them "Factory Worn." That is what they are.

I stand by the statement that any MIA or MIM Strat or Tele in the store has a higher likelihood of getting "worn" on the "road" than any single one of those Road Worns.

God **** it, I am going to have to go get a breath of fresh air
                my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Originally posted by ImmortalSix View Post
                  They should be called "Factory Worn."

Ironically, they are called "Road Worn."

It's ironic because their regular Standards are the ones that are getting worn, on the road (road worn), not these.

I don't know a single gigging musician who would buy a "Road Worn" guitar, because of the poser factor.

I just hate the name. They should call them "Factory Worn." That is what they are.

I stand by the statement that any MIA or MIM Strat or Tele in the store has a higher likelihood of getting "worn" on the "road" than any single one of those Road Worns.

God **** it, I am going to have to go get a breath of fresh air
                  Lol.

To be fair to the name, the ''scratched and dents'' look like someone dragged it on pavement for a few feet.

Maybe ''road worn'' is used as a description of the relic method.
                  - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post

I'm not buying one of these or anything, but why do you care what anybody buys?
                    “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Duke View Post
                      I'm not buying one of these or anything, but why do you care what anybody buys?
                      I don't want to answer for blueman, but I can give you my take on it if you want. For me, it bothers me when people buy into these things, for 2 basic reasons.

1) It seems like it encourages the companies to spend their time making crap like this instead of other instruments with features that are useful, and innovative to the art of playing guitar.

2) Because companies are pushing crap like this onto the masses, it seems like people are getting scammed into thinking that these are good instruments, when they could be buying much, much better guitars for the same amount of money.

So really, I feel like it is a waste of potential by the companies, and a cheat for those who buy those guitars without knowing a whole lot about instruments. I know no matter what, people are going to buy what they want, and I cannot have an influence on human nature....but meh... it's just my opinion.
                      - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Comment

If they sell, then someone out there obviously likes them. If they don't, they'll go away. Either way, if someone's not interested I hardly see why it should get them all worked up - it is just a guitar after all.
                        After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by phil_104 View Post
                          I don't want to answer for blueman, but I can give you my take on it if you want. For me, it bothers me when people buy into these things, for 2 basic reasons.
                          I'm open for anybody's take as long as we all stay respectful of one another's opinions.

1) It seems like it encourages the companies to spend their time making crap like this instead of other instruments with features that are useful, and innovative to the art of playing guitar.
                          Are you saying crap like this meaning the guitars are crappy themselves, or they lack innovation?

Fender has done plenty innovative things in the past 10 years. S1 switching, thin skin, roland ready strats, new super champ, princeton recording amp. The thing is in the last 10 years guitarist have went back to the "old school". So none of this matters matter to most guitars.

2) Because companies are pushing crap like this onto the masses, it seems like people are getting scammed into thinking that these are good instruments, when they could be buying much, much better guitars for the same amount of money.
                          Believe me the thought of a 1k MIM strat/tele is sickening to me, but so is a 1k American Standard. As an owner of a 99 Am. Standard I've had to come to grips with the fact that sometimes the MIM guitars deliver better vintage tones than the Am. Standard. For some dudes that's THE sound, for other it's not. Personally I'm appalled that a Jimmie Vaughn is so much better than my MIA strat, but that's the way it is. Unless they discontinue allll the other guitars in their line they aren't forcing it on anyone.

So really, I feel like it is a waste of potential by the companies, and a cheat for those who buy those guitars without knowing a whole lot about instruments. I know no matter what, people are going to buy what they want, and I cannot have an influence on human nature....but meh... it's just my opinion.
                          We all get our opinions

I'm not into relics for the record.

Luke
                          “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Duke View Post
                            As an owner of a 99 Am. Standard I've had to come to grips with the fact that sometimes the MIM guitars deliver better vintage tones than the Am. Standard.
                            Imagine how I feel --- I bought a used PRS SE for $250 that walks all over my American Standard Strat, that I bought for a 4-digit number of dollars in 1996.

my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Luke, I totally respect your opinion on the matter. I see what you are trying to say, but there is still a part of me that feels like the line is a waste of human potential. Your probably right on the whole thing though, as I know I am heavily biased against everything that is a poor relic.

Immortal, maybe that is just because it's a PRS. Lol, jk, I own a strat also. I have had americans strat, but I kept a Mexi 50s classic instead.

Comment

Originally posted by millsart View Post
                                I
                                I'm 31 years old and even if I played that guitar everyday for the next 40 years that modern POLY finish Fender uses these days is not going to wear.

my #1 strat has been my goto guitar since i bought it in 99, and the finish on the body is still flawless. the back of the neck is shiny where my hand touches it, and the rosewood has taken some color too.

that poly finish, does do its job, looks good no matter what

Comment

Working...
                                X