Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nice SSL-1 Comment from John Frusciante

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
    Hmmm. April issue, yet posted in February. I know magazines have a lead time, and have worked in a top-name magazine printing facility, but I've never seen a magazine printed 2 months ahead of time.

Paid endorser. :P
    j/k
    Glad I was not the only one who noticed that!

Comment

Originally posted by Funkfingers View Post
      Welcome to the forum.

With respect to you (and with reference to the quoted interview content), your guitar is unlikely to be the same as JF's original vintage Fender pieces.

It has always seemed to me that, compared to the majority of original old Fender pickups, SD SSL-1s are slightly overwound. I see this as a good thing. SSL-1s make a Stratocaster sound the way that the majority of players would wish - as distinct from the way that a good many of them actually come across.

For approximately five years, I have owned a Fender American Vintage Re-Issue model '62 style Stratocaster. Its stock '57/62 pickups authentically capture the essence of the old guitars. That is, authentically thin. I wanted a fuller and more complex sound. This is why I installed Antiquity II "Surfer" pickups in the neck and middle positions plus something hotter in the bridge position.

Leo designed the Stratocaster to sound pleasant with what we now consider Medium gauge strings. Throw on a set of 009-042 and things begin to sound weedy.

As an example, check out the recordings of UK instrumental group, The Shadows. On the original Fifties and Sixties records, lead guitarist, Hank B. Marvin performs on big strings including a wound G. In the Seventies, for the purposes of a compilation album, many of the old hits were rerecorded using the band's Seventies equipment. The sound of the lead guitar is noticeably different. Marvin does not have to fight the skinny strings so much. This affects the tone.

I didn't say it should sound exactly like JF tone. I said it sounds nothing like his tone. It should at least sound in the ball park of his tone since most of a electric guitar's tone comes from the pickups. I've been trying to find out what year did the SSL and Antiquity 1 and 2 pickups come out. I have found nothing so far. Anybody else know when?

Comment

Originally posted by Jesusm View Post
        I didn't say it should sound exactly like JF tone. I said it sounds nothing like his tone. It should at least sound in the ball park of his tone since most of a electric guitar's tone comes from the pickups. I've been trying to find out what year did the SSL and Antiquity 1 and 2 pickups come out. I have found nothing so far. Anybody else know when?
        Dude, just cause you used the same exact yams in your Mom's old recipe, doesn't mean it's going to taste just like she used to make. Countless other things besides pickupa can be contributing to why you aren't hearing what you want to be hearing in your tone. What is your current setup? Guitar, amp, pedals, etc.

Here's a timeline. Ssl-1 was introduced in 76.

For 37 years Seymour Duncan has been developing products to help musicians find their voice and get the most out of their instrument. We thought it would be fun to look back at when some of our more notable products came out.

Comment

Originally posted by Falloffthebonetone View Post
          Glad I was not the only one who noticed that!
          Hmmm. April issue, yet posted in February. I know magazines have a lead time, and have worked in a top-name magazine printing facility, but I've never seen a magazine printed 2 months ahead of time.

Paid endorser. :P
          j/k
          Originally posted by Falloffthebonetone View Post
          Dude, just cause you used the same exact yams in your Mom's old recipe, doesn't mean it's going to taste just like she used to make. Countless other things besides pickupa can be contributing to why you aren't hearing what you want to be hearing in your tone. What is your current setup? Guitar, amp, pedals, etc.

Here's a timeline. Ssl-1 was introduced in 76.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/se...ncan-products/
          I have a 2011 MIM Stratocaster with a maple neck and orange drop .47 cap, Fender Blues Jr, Fender Super Champ XD and a 15 watt Vox Valvetronic. I believe it might be my pickup height. Anybody had a pickup height that got close to JF tone? Thanks for the link. Any luck on the other 2 pickup release dates?

Comment

Are you going by live tone or CD tone? Even with live tone, there's some processing (compression, etc) in the chain that will influence the tone, not to mention player tone.

Two people swapping the same guitar back and forth are not guaranteed to get the same tone. See SRV and Jimmy V on Family Style.
            Originally posted by Brown Note
            I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
            My Blog

Comment

Are you going by live tone or CD tone? Even with live tone, there's some processing (compression, etc) in the chain that will influence the tone, not to mention player tone.

Two people swapping the same guitar back and forth are not guaranteed to get the same tone. See SRV and Jimmy V on Family Style.
              I'm going for his live sound. It's strange because I'm not even getting a "vintage" sound out of my SSL-1 CA 50's set.

Comment

I'm not even getting a "vintage" sound out of my SSL-1 CA 50's set.
                Define "Vintage sound".

Comment

I'm amazed you aren't getting a "vintage" sound out of SSL-1s. They are the slightly overwound vintage Strat pickup baseline. Fender's recommended pickup heights are:

PICKUPS
                  Set too high, pickups can cause myriad inexplicable phenomena. Depress all the strings at the last fret. Using a 6" (150 mm) ruler, measure the distance from the bottom of the first and sixth strings to the top of the pole piece. A good rule of thumb is that the distance should be greatest at the sixth-string neck pickup position, and closest at the first-string bridge pickup position. Follow the measurement guidelines in the chart below as starting points. The distance will vary according to the amount of magnetic pull from the pickup.

Code:
                  [COLOR="#000000"]
                                       Bass Side	Treble Side
                  Texas Specials	        8/64" (3.2 mm)	6/64" (2.4 mm)
                  Vintage style	        6/64" (2.4 mm)	5/64" (2 mm)
                  Noiseless™ Series	8/64" (3.2 mm)	6/64" (2.4 mm)
                  Standard Single-Coil	5/64" (2 mm)	4/64" (1.6 mm)
                  [/COLOR]

Your SSL-1s should fall in the "vintage" spec. How far off of these measurements are you?

That being said, even when they are a little off you should be close. Keep in mind the core of his live tone is a couple of 200W Marshall Majors. That's a big gap between his amps and yours. Are you getting close to like "Scar Tissue", "Under the Bridge" and "Soul to Squeeze"? Other than a little compression on Soul, those are pretty much just clean Strat tones that the SSL-1s should be serving up in spades.
                  Last edited by PFDarkside; 08-08-2015, 10:33 AM.
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                    I'm amazed you aren't getting a "vintage" sound out of SSL-1s. They are the slightly overwound vintage Strat pickup baseline. Fender's recommended pickup heights are:

[/color]

Your SSL-1s should fall in the "vintage" spec. How far off of these measurements are you?

That being said, even when they are a little off you should be close. Keep in mind the core of his live tone is a couple of 200W Marshall Majors. That's a big gap between his amps and yours. Are you getting close to like "Scar Tissue", "Under the Bridge" and "Soul to Squeeze"? Other than a little compression on Soul, those are pretty much just clean Strat tones that the SSL-1s should be serving up in spades.
                    I tried the vintage pickup height Fender recommends and others in this list and still nothing close. I wanted at least a kinda dry, raw sound with some sparkle to it but sad to say they sound very plain jane. Nothing to them. That's why I came here to try to see what I'm doing wrong. I wish I had the Scar Tissue or Under the Bridge sound or close to it.
                    Last edited by Jesusm; 08-08-2015, 11:40 AM.

Comment

That's a nice comment ofcourse, but it doesn't hide the fact Frusciante's a very mediocre and sloppy player.

Comment

I believe it might be my pickup height.
                        Nope its not your pickup height...swapping that wont give you instant frusciante.

This is your problem... you fix your chops and these and you will probably do fine with the SS1's you got now

I Fender Blues Jr, Fender Super Champ XD and a 15 watt Vox Valvetronic.
                        You're tilting at windmills chasing the release dates of pickups.
                        "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                        you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by cokekolev View Post
                          That's a nice comment ofcourse, but it doesn't hide the fact Frusciante's a very mediocre and sloppy player.
                          and yet hes sold millions of records...

how many technically incredible players are unknown and bound to die in obscurity?

Smells like sour grapes to me.
                          "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                          you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
                            Nope its not your pickup height...swapping that wont give you instant frusciante.

This is your problem... you fix your chops and these and you will probably do fine with the SS1's you got now

You're tilting at windmills chasing the release dates of pickups.
                            Here was the problem. I adjusted the pickups then added a boost pedal on the clean. Just before the breakup is where it's at.

Comment

Originally posted by cokekolev View Post
                              He may be from a technical point of view but for me RHCP without him is like they are covering themselves, I just like the songs better and I listen to them since 1991.
                              Who took my guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
                                and yet hes sold millions of records...
                                So has Britney Spears. Your point being?

Comment

Working...
                                X