Nice SSL-1 Comment from John Frusciante

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nice SSL-1 Comment from John Frusciante

I generally don't drape my penis over the top edge of the guitar, but no, I'm not a Jazz guy.
    Originally posted by Brown Note
    I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
    My Blog

Comment

Blowing the dust off this because I want to keep everything in one thread

Apparently, John was NOT using the SSLs, but Fender pickups of some kind. What I want to know is what model pickup?

Interview with John's tech Dave Lee is where I read this.

From the article. http://www.jfeffects.com.br/2016/12/...ee-guitar.html

"In Guitarist Magazine, june 2003, you said you tried to convince John to play Fender's replicas of its old models, but he liked the "life" that his old instruments had. Besides the original tuning pegs (replaced by Klusons) and straplocks (replaced by Schallers), is there any other modification that you made in the guitars? He said in a interview that he replaced his '62 Strat pickups for Seymour Duncans SSL-1 (like in his '55 Strat). Is there anything else besides that? When did that occured?

"I remember reading that and realizing John was wrong in that interview (I never told him). We were experimenting with a number of different pickups at the time. And he must've gotten confused. The actual pickups we settled on (and John never knew this) were stock, brand new, Fender Strat pickups. The same ones Fender was putting in their brand new American Fender Strats at the time (I'll bet you weren't expecting that)."
      -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
      “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

not that i think john is above reproach with what he said but i dont know if it trust the tech either since they are getting free stuff from fender. i dont think there is any doubt of what was in his old one, but maybe he was mistaken on the new ones the tech was working on. who knows. and honestly his tone isnt one of my favorites

Comment

I am sure it had the SSLs in there at some point, but if they were swapped later to what?

Fender came out with several revisions in 2000, so who knows.

I only have SSL-1s in a single guitar and they don't get along. I two other sets including an unopened Cal '50's set. I want to swap the unopened set for one without an RWRP middle.

Just need to find a guitar they work in
          -Chris

Comment

i like the ssl1 fine but prefer the ssl2 flat pole version, and prefer the surfers to those, and prefer the antiquity II jag pups to those since they are similar to flat pole surfers.

Comment

Frusciante's tone is epic.

Comment

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post
                I only have SSL-1s in a single guitar and they don't get along.
                What's the guitar and what is the body made out of?

Comment

Glad we have another five-page thread on the SSL-1 ! Actually that's still cool to know about Frusciante's pickups.
                  Originally posted by King Buzzo
                  I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

I doubt most players could tell with absolute certainty whether they were playing a guitar with Surfers or SSL1’s...or with Fralin Vintage Hots. Those are my three favorite after market Strat pickups and they sound very similar.
                    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by Silence Kid View Post
                      Glad we have another five-page thread on the SSL-1 ! Actually that's still cool to know about Frusciante's pickups.
                      Hopefully, this one stays on relevant topics.

Originally posted by gregory View Post
                      What's the guitar and what is the body made out of?
                      Just an Ash vintage spec strat.

I have who knows how many Stratocasters with all flavors of pickups.

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
                      I doubt most players could tell with absolute certainty whether they were playing a guitar with Surfers or SSL1’s...or with Fralin Vintage Hots. Those are my three favorite after market Strat pickups and they sound very similar.
                      I have a Strat with Surfers and T Hots. I like both, but I have yet to try the Fralin Hots (I have some, just in the drawer).
                      -Chris

Comment

On the one hand this news doesn't surprise me, because while I never doubted you can get the "Frusciante tone" with SSL-1's by working the tone controls and whatnot, and Frusciante had techs who probably finessed his signal chain, it always seemed to me that you can more easily get that tone from a Strat set with a few hundred less winds on the bobbin, like a Fender 57/62 set. It's that classic "scooped" tone that John Mayer somehow managed to take credit for inventing.

This also reiterates the need for Seymour Duncan to have a CBS era knock off similar to the CS 69's. You can't get an authentic 5.7k Strat sound from Seymour Duncan Co. All their current offerings merely get pretty close.

Comment

Originally posted by PicoRiveraTele View Post
                          This also reiterates the need for Seymour Duncan to have a CBS era knock off similar to the CS 69's. You can't get an authentic 5.7k Strat sound from Seymour Duncan Co. All their current offerings merely get pretty close.
                          "Pretty close" is good enough for me. By the time my signal travels from the pickup to my pedals to my amp to the ears of the audience it sounds about the same any way. But I'm willing to bet that if you wanted to, a SSL-1 could be unwound a bit to get pretty close.
                          You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                          Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I’ve been playing for over 50 years. When those CBS Strats came out they triggered the vintage guitar market because many of us thought those weak pickups sounded like sh#t...even if Jimi did like playing shiny new Strats.

I still don’t like them and don’t get the appeal.
                            “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

We don't know for certain of course, but I believe at least one of John's guitars had the SSLs in it. Maybe they go swapped, who knows.

The Fender CS 69's I have and like, but I don't understand those who will spend $1k+ on late '60's Fender pickups, or even more baffling the '75 and later flat poles.

I have tried all manner of strat pickups and I seem to gravitate to sets that are all right around 6k and no RWRP middle
                              -Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
                                I’ve been playing for over 50 years. When those CBS Strats came out they triggered the vintage guitar market because many of us thought those weak pickups sounded like sh#t...even if Jimi did like playing shiny new Strats.

I still don’t like them and don’t get the appeal.
                                That thin tone you get from an especially high resonant cut off came to be associated with 70's funk, disco and other genres that used a Strat's clean tone, and I think that era was better for it. A fatter Strat tone wouldn't have served them as well, IMO.

Comment

Working...
                                X