This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Well part LVII...Crusty Philtrum

For your entertainment, here's a pic of me doing a gig in Wimbledon back around 1960. You can clearly see where people like Liberace, Elton John and Peter Allen later stole their images from. However the pressure of running a 27-piece big band and writing hits for many artists of the day became just toooo much and i dropped off the radar for a few years (also, i had to break my crayon-eating habit and learn how to use the grown-ups toilet)....
    Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

I re-emerged from my self-imposed exile in 1971, aged 15, as a prototype rock god south of Sydney, Australia. This pic was taken while i was still at school. I am still wearing the same sneakers today....Rory Gallagher offered to swap them for his famous Stratocaster, but surgeons were unable to remove the sneakers from my feet. The black 'amp head' on the left speaker cabinet housed a WEM Dominator amp. During this period, i was known as Fluffy Filtrum.

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Hi there all,
        long time no post.
        I'd like to ask about your ideas on dissimilar coils in a humbucking pickup ,or do you think the coils should be matched?
        Thanks

Comment

Cool Well!
          Man the last pic is funny especcialy the big goofy smile LOL!

What are you listening to these days?

What is your Fave modern amp?
          www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque

Comment

Originally posted by Xergey Zenandzen View Post
            Hi there all,
            long time no post.
            I'd like to ask about your ideas on dissimilar coils in a humbucking pickup ,or do you think the coils should be matched?
            Thanks

Most people seem to prefer to braise the beef, although i know that some grill it, either open-flame or char.

As regards the fish, a couple of slices of lemon should do the trick.

Regarding your third point, i really think it's quite natural and you should not feel ashamed. It will NOT make you go blind....and i should know.

Of course these are just my opinions, i don't know any facts.

But i do hope some of this may have helped answer your questions.

Thank you...please call again.

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Originally posted by daemon barbeque View Post
              Cool Well!
              Man the last pic is funny especcialy the big goofy smile LOL!

What are you listening to these days?

What is your Fave modern amp?

It's funny, stuff i listen to nowdays is mostly not guitar music. I guess after 35 years or more of being in the guitar world, it's been good to hear other music. So...in recent times, the newer music i've been into has been Bjork, Sigur Ros, Mum and Emiliana Torrini, all Icelandic acts. Not only do i listen to these acts but i've seen them all live down here within the last 12 months, which has been a real thrill for me. Bjork out the front of the Sydney Opera House was absolutely stunning, memories for life.

At the same time though I still listen to my old favourites, who still mean as much to me now as they did in their day....Free, Hendrix, Cream/ Clapton, Rory Gallagher, Midnight Oil, The Divinyls ( 2 great Aussie bands), Ry Cooder, Johnny Winter, Deep Purple, Zeppelin, Duster Bennett, and the incredible Captain Beefheart. Also J S Bach, bits of Paganini and Stravinski, Sun-Sessions Elvis,....

Sometimes i feel a bit strange that i'm not very up-to-speed with new bands, but there's so much guitar music now and some of it is great, but i actually like being more away from that nowdays so that when i play, it feels fresher and i feel more enthusiastic about it. I don't hear many great vocalists in newer bands now, so that probably plays into it too.

I'm 52. Ageing is an interesting process. You see and hear a lot through life. Some is good to revisit, some things you never want to know again. You start to see things re-cycle....fashions, trends, music etc. Some things are generational, you grow through them. Other things stay strong all along the journey. The mind can start to harden like concrete. I accept that i won't hear or like much of the music happening right now, but i think that's natural but what is important is to stay aware of what the young guys are doing with music and sound.

One of my favourite sounds is.....silence. It's actually hard to find, and it makes me very careful about what sounds i let in to break the silence.

Re. Amps.....I don't pay too much attention to amps now, but I liked Matchless and I'm sure BadCat are great. I never liked Mesa Boogies much but the Blue Angel that Bungalow Bill has been posting about sounds like it's a nice amp. I really don't like high-gain amps or any amp with a master volume, so i'm a difficult one to please i guess, hehehe. I'm a dinosaur, but i'm a firm believer that all good tones stem from good clean sounds, master volume controls detract from good sound and amps should have simple signal paths with the minimum number of solder joints. I guess that means that if i had to buy a new amp now, I'd be looking at the small boutique manufacturers. Maybe Komet , i like what i've read about them. If the current Vox AC30's are any good, i'd vote for them, I had a couple of AC30's, probably my favourite sounding amp of all time.

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Two years after that last pic, i was evolving into 'Furry Philtrum' and had obtained a driver's licence. I hadn't eaten crayons for a few years and i was almost fully house-trained. I still had a penchant for entering my parent's house by climbing in the window, and one of several stray dogs that my parent's had adopted was called Kossoff. Life was simple, it was good. I was working as a telegram boy, i would get up at 3 a.m. and shut myself in the garage for 4 hours to practice, then go to work. I would go to bed at 7 p.m. Basically i avioded everything, i just went to work and practiced, I had a great teacher, a jazz player who taught me great theory. Soon Furry Philtrum would decide that traditional 'work' was taking up too much time, and retire.

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

What model bike is that?
                  Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                  https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
                  Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Dig the Hamer, sold one in the States not too long ago which looked similar, and had a similar pup set up, except mine was a 92.

The GF came from England also, when she was 15 (she's 47 now). Dad moved the family after retiring from the RN. She said it was awful the first few yrs, and finally found her feet when she went off to Uni.

Myself, just got off the phone w/the Immigration folks. They are very helpful, but it is stilll stressful. Visa stuff. It's an education!

Do you play the bouzouki?

Comment

Originally posted by LesStrat View Post
                      What model bike is that?

Wow, that's a difficult one....the bike wasn't mine. My car was just out of the shot when that pic was taken....4 of us were out in the country on some adventure...I was driving my car with a mate travelling with me, and 2 other mates were riding their bikes.

I am dragging my mind back 35 years. I can see the numbers '50' between my legs in the pic, so i am pretty sure the bike is a 250 c.c.

I seem to remember one of the 2 guys on the bikes had a 250 Kawasaki, so i reckon that's what it is. A Kawasaki.

Do i win a prize if i've got that right?

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Originally posted by Laughing Kookaburra View Post
                        Dig the Hamer, sold one in the States not too long ago which looked similar, and had a similar pup set up, except mine was a 92.

The GF came from England also, when she was 15 (she's 47 now). Dad moved the family after retiring from the RN. She said it was awful the first few yrs, and finally found her feet when she went off to Uni.

Myself, just got off the phone w/the Immigration folks. They are very helpful, but it is stilll stressful. Visa stuff. It's an education!

Do you play the bouzouki?

Yeah, the Hamer is a great guitar, I was going to get a new Les Paul but from reading a lot of stuff i started to think it was too chancey trying to find a good one....which is ridiculous at the prices we have to pay.... they should ALL be great. As you can imagine, down here in Australia, Hamers are rare and not widely known, and their re-sale value would be low. I must admit that even to this day that 'name on the headstock' thing sometimes lurks in my mind, but i only had one shot to get it right. I am not a wealthy person, but i simply wanted a Gibson-style guitar that i knew for sure would be built properly with good wood and attention to detail. I bought it from the USA, based only on some pictures and a description, and with the import duties, there was quite a learning curve, a lot of money, and a lot of faith. I'm happy to be able to report that every good thing i've heard about Hamer USA is true.

Your g/f came here at 15? Same age as me when i came here....a difficult age to move to another country, as so much is happening and changing at that age. It was quite a shock to me, too, learning and re-adjusting to subtle but relevant social aspects and life in general.

No, i don't play the bouzouki, or at least i have never had my hands on one so far. I used to play quite a bit of mandolin, and i have a Tiple (10 strings, 4 courses) which i play in bursts from time to time or as needed. Is there any particular reason why you ask? Do i look like i should play bouzouki maybe...?....heheheheee......

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Re the bouzouki, just wondering. I guess they have the same tuning as the mandolin (which I've played a bit), although I've also heard it was different. I dig its use in Celtic music, although, despite the Irish input in Oz (transports), there seems to be little in the way of Celtic tunage here. I Saw a bouzouki at Muso's Corner in Newcastle, and it's giving me GAS.

The Hamers tend to blow away the Gibsons, IMHO, but yes, even in the States, they are valued less. I really miss mine...have a pic on my desktop...
                          Last edited by Laughing Kookaburra; 02-19-2009, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Now that I think about it, what were you doing w/the mandolin?

Comment

Re the bouzouki, just wondering. I guess they have the same tuning as the mandolin (which I've played a bit), although I've also heard it was different. I dig its use in Celtic music, although, despite the Irish input in Oz (transports), there seems to be little in the way of Celtic tunage here. I Saw a bouzouki at Muso's Corner in Newcastle, and it's giving me GAS.

The Hamers tend to blow away the Gibsons, IMHO, but yes, even in the States, they are valued less. I really miss mine...have a pic on my desktop...

When i was in my teenage years around the industrial city of Wollongong, NSW, there was a high percentage of Europeans who had migrated to that area for work in the 50's and 60's and there were many clubs and venues (and weddings, too) where they would perform their more traditional music styles, and accordian and bouzouki were almost everywhere, so i tend to associate the bouzouki with those styles, particularly Greek music i guess. Back in the early 70's there seemed to be quite a big market for accordian amplifiers and i remember seeing bouzoukis in the music shops that came fitted with pickups and controls, to cater for the fact that many of them were being used at gigs. They always fascinated me, although i never actually played or owned one.

Why not go to that music store and try it out?, when you get an itch, it's always good to scratch it, even a little bit, hehe.....

The good thing about the Hamers is that, should you ever want to get another one, it wouldn't be too horribly expensive, so i suppose the lower resale value compared to Gibson can work both ways.....Last time i looked, Jackson's rare guitars in Sydney was starting to import new ones from the USA, but his prices are.....well.....let's just say that he probably has a very nice house or six......

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Now that I think about it, what were you doing w/the mandolin?

In my twenties i got right into Ry Cooder as well as the usual rock stuff, and spent a lot of time playing acoustic guitar and mandolin....i remember playing one of his old songs called 'Billy The Kid' and a famous Rory Gallagher song he would play live, called 'Going To My Hometown', a real footstomper. I actually played that song in a band, with a pickup into the PA. Great fun as an interlude in an otherwise electric rock set. Later, through Ry Cooder interviews, i got a Tiple, which i still own, though at first i managed to mis-understand the tuning and had it backwards from low to high, hehe. Now i use a hybrid tuning i came up with, part tiple and part mandolin tuning. Because of having good theory, i was usually able to pick up any string instrument in any tuning and quickly work out enough basic chord shapes to get me started, so it was always a lot of fun. My violin attempts were somewhat less successful as the bowing techniques were obviously going to take more time to come to grips with, hehe. (Now i use a midi guitar and good sound module if i want the sound of bowed instruments, and try to find some king of picking technique that gets close to the desired sound).

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Working...
                                X