hissing sounds & AC30 and AC15...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hissing sounds & AC30 and AC15...

no it's not a snake! I have been using an AC30 and an AC15 in the past couple months and recently i've been hearing this hissing sound coming form the amps. Not a buzz, but a hissing sound. I used to hear it on my Mark IV before and couldn't figure out what it was? I've checked my cables, tried an external cabinet, etc...
    The hissing is more apparent when the topboost it being driven as well, but not when the master is cranked and not the topboost.

any ideas, any help?

thanks fellas

Re: hissing sounds & AC30 and AC15...

Assuming your cable is of good quality and proper working condition, is the noise still present with no pedals, effects, etc? It the noise still there with different guitars plugged in?

Try a noise suppressor/tone squisher.
    If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

Originally posted by TheLivingDead
    DON'TGETMADBRO

Comment

The proper term for this hiss is flicker noise. It's caused by variation in the current across the tube; with the effect becoming more prominent as the frequency increases. It is totally normal for a tube to hiss )to some degree). If it has gotten worse lately, that is a different story. Do you turn the power and standby on at the same time?
      Last edited by glassman; 02-17-2009, 12:57 PM. Reason: missing parts of post
      Now operating part time: Glassman Tube Amps...repairs, rebuilds, restorations & modifications of tube equipment.

Still building: GlassMan Amplifiers (25 watt, all tube, single channel w/reverb, single 12" combo) and some more designs in the works.

Located in Fort Wayne, IN

Note: I've "parked" my website in case anyone has been looking for it. I moved locations and haven't updated the site to reflect this.

Comment

i already use a noise suppressor in my board, and i always wait to turn the standby on.

Comment

My Mark IV will do this if I am boosting the signal in the loop too much. I deal with this by adjusting the input and output volume of my multi-fx until the the perceivable volume is approximate the same with the loop engaged or disengaged.

If uyou are not using the loop putting an ISP Noise Decimator in front of the amp may help. Also the order you place your pedals in front of the amp will make a significant difference as well.

Originally posted by \m/(00)\m/ View Post
          no it's not a snake! I have been using an AC30 and an AC15 in the past couple months and recently i've been hearing this hissing sound coming form the amps. Not a buzz, but a hissing sound. I used to hear it on my Mark IV before and couldn't figure out what it was? I've checked my cables, tried an external cabinet, etc...
          The hissing is more apparent when the topboost it being driven as well, but not when the master is cranked and not the topboost.

any ideas, any help?

thanks fellas

Comment

Also check the grounding on your guitar or have someone do it for you.

Originally posted by \m/(00)\m/ View Post
            i already use a noise suppressor in my board, and i always wait to turn the standby on.

Comment

I guess I can try things out, it's a high pitched hissing, or whistling type sound. It doesn't sound like it'd be a ground issue on the guitar as well...
              time will tell

Comment

My AC30 has a bit of a hiss on the top boost channel. I changed the preamp tubes, and it helped a bit.
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
                Originally posted by Securb
                The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

Working...
                X